News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Holley Sniper EFI

Started by 303 Mopar, June 09, 2018, 02:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

303 Mopar

Quote from: Kern Dog on June 15, 2018, 07:38:26 PM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on June 15, 2018, 09:01:32 AM
Quote from: Kern Dog on June 14, 2018, 11:33:08 PM
I'd be interested in knowing some of the benefits you see after driving it a bit.   :2thumbs:

I've driven it a few hundred miles and the biggest benefit by far is throttle response.

Thank you.
Was the throttle a bit soggy before ? Did the carburetor setup leave you with flat spots or lazy response?

I would say the throttle response was good before, about the best I've experienced from a car with a carb.  The Proform was tuned and ran great, no hesitations or flat spots off the line nor as the rpm increased. The EFI just has a quicker response.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

303 Mopar

Quote from: TexasStroker on June 17, 2018, 12:41:45 AM
What valve covers are you running?  It looked like they were finned MP units, but with a 440 carved out as well  :2thumbs:

I bought them off Ebay a while ago and then had a local shop make the "440".

Kern Dog

Challenger340

I have a buddy struggling with his Sniper System, and getting nowhere very slowly.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

69Chrgr

One reason why you see better throttle response from the EFI is the 1:1 throttle blade setup. I've installed a FiTech and an Edelbrock E-Street 2, and am absolutely sold on the new EFI systems. I am about to pilot the Sniper system on my Charger for future customers along with the Holley Dual Sync. You cannot believe the difference the Edelbrock E-Street 2 system improved when I installed the Edelbrock E-Street distributor that let the computer control they system on the customers 440. I have a Hellcat and that aluminum headed 440 would tear it up in an acceleration contest.

Kern Dog

1 to 1 throttle blade setup? Do you mean that the "primaries" and "secondaries" open at the same time?

69Chrgr

Kern Dog

That is interesting. Thank you.

Derwud

I have been thinking about this.. Progressive linkage between front and back venturies is needed for street driven carberated cars, as opening them was the only way to increase fuel. Now with F.I., it adds fuel based on inputs (One of which is your foot.) I have heard of having to relearn how to drive your car, because know as you apply throttle the response is RIGHT NOW, rather then a bit lazy with Carbs.
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

Carbs can be just as responsive if not sometimes more responsive than some FI in my opinion. Everyone wants too big of a carb in my opinion, it's not so bad with vacuum secondary carbs as the engine determines what it needs. Mechanical secondaries need to be set up properly. There should be no hesitation or delay with a properly set up carb.

With a carb when you slam shut the throttle plates it responds instantly to your command. With many FI systems they tend to run on a bit to fully burn fuel for emissions.

Kern Dog

Quote from: Derwud on June 21, 2018, 07:31:54 AM
I have been thinking about this.. Progressive linkage between front and back venturies is needed for street driven carberated cars, as opening them was the only way to increase fuel. Now with F.I., it adds fuel based on inputs (One of which is your foot.) I have heard of having to relearn how to drive your car, because know as you apply throttle the response is RIGHT NOW, rather then a bit lazy with Carbs.

That is why I was curious about the 1 to 1 ratio of the throttle blades. Like you expressed, the butterflies meter airflow but the injectors control the amount of fuel delivered.

Derwud

Quote from: 440 on June 21, 2018, 07:49:42 AM
Carbs can be just as responsive if not sometimes more responsive than some FI in my opinion. Everyone wants too big of a carb in my opinion, it's not so bad with vacuum secondary carbs as the engine determines what it needs. Mechanical secondaries need to be set up properly. There should be no hesitation or delay with a properly set up carb.

With a carb when you slam shut the throttle plates it responds instantly to your command. With many FI systems they tend to run on a bit to fully burn fuel for emissions.

I can tune a carb, but I will never be able to tune it to be as good as a good EFI system..

303 Mopar

Quote from: Derwud on June 22, 2018, 07:16:53 AM

I can tune a carb, but I will never be able to tune it to be as good as a good EFI system..

And then throw in electronic timing control.....

Derwud

Quote from: 303 Mopar on June 22, 2018, 01:55:27 PM
Quote from: Derwud on June 22, 2018, 07:16:53 AM

And then throw in electronic timing control.....

That is when you jump from the table and yell Yahtzee. I have done the manual tuning, fun but TIME consuming.. Auto Tune, yes please!!

69Chrgr

Quote from: Derwud on June 21, 2018, 07:31:54 AM

This is correct.

TexasStroker

Quote from: 303 Mopar on June 18, 2018, 05:13:04 PM
Quote from: TexasStroker on June 17, 2018, 12:41:45 AM
What valve covers are you running?  It looked like they were finned MP units, but with a 440 carved out as well  :2thumbs:

I bought them off Ebay a while ago and then had a local shop make the "440".

Cool, turned out great!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

darbgnik

I recently installed a Sniper system with the in tank pump, and really like it. A couple things I learned: The system does learn, but it is not immediate. You really do need to leave it to figure its life out. I suppose I could have fully read the instructions to appreciate that, but I didn't, lol.

It needs to learn idle in park, then in gear if you have an auto. It's interesting watching the IAC(idle control motor) work on the handheld trying to keep the engine running with a load on it(stopped in gear) versus being slipped into neutral.

I am still learning, and playing with it, but I think I'm correct in saying that the system only learns above 160* F, meaning, if you have start up, or  keeping it running problems before the engine warms up, you have to play with the base parameters yourself. Like IAC park at crank, fuel prime, fuel enrichment at warmup, idle speed at warmup etc. This is what I'm playing with at the  moment. Hot startup and hot running are stellar as is. Just seems rich and stumbly at warming up idle. Apparently you can use the handheld for a lot of it, but I find the handheld very, very fiddly, so I find loading on the computer to be much, much easier.

Anyone else find the Holley handheld has false touches on the touch screen, and self selects things?
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Back N Black

Ok, this has nothing to do with the Holly EFI Sniper kit, but I have a Proform 850 mechanical secondary's carburetor on my 440 and the throttle response on the charger is better than my 2017 Dodge Ram??? just sounds like a lot of tuning and learning to get that perfect throttle response.  :Twocents:

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Back N Black on July 22, 2018, 08:12:40 PM
Ok, this has nothing to do with the Holly EFI Sniper kit, but I have a Proform 850 mechanical secondary's carburetor on my 440 and the throttle response on the charger is better than my 2017 Dodge Ram??? just sounds like a lot of tuning and learning to get that perfect throttle response.  :Twocents:

Mine are all crisp and instant as well. They are what you make them and nothing more.

TexasStroker

Quote from: 69Chrgr on June 19, 2018, 12:11:38 PM
One reason why you see better throttle response from the EFI is the 1:1 throttle blade setup. I've installed a FiTech and an Edelbrock E-Street 2, and am absolutely sold on the new EFI systems. I am about to pilot the Sniper system on my Charger for future customers along with the Holley Dual Sync. You cannot believe the difference the Edelbrock E-Street 2 system improved when I installed the Edelbrock E-Street distributor that let the computer control they system on the customers 440. I have a Hellcat and that aluminum headed 440 would tear it up in an acceleration contest.

Just saw this...curious as to the build of the 440?

Hopefully the Holley system and Dual Sync will work well for you!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

69Chrgr

Quote from: TexasStroker on July 27, 2018, 07:00:32 PM
Quote from: 69Chrgr on June 19, 2018, 12:11:38 PM

Just saw this...curious as to the build of the 440?

Hopefully the Holley system and Dual Sync will work well for you!
This was an Edelbrock roller cam, heads, intake and complete FI system in a 73 Cuda. I've been so busy with customer cars that I haven't got to mine yet, however will very soon. I already have the Holley dual sync and will purchase the Tanks Inc system along with the Super Sniper probably in the Fall once I get caught up on customer cars.

Challenger340

We've experienced problems with the Holley Sniper System notretaining it's "learn".  The problem has persisted for many months now to no avail. 
It runs fine once it has been driven, learned, been tuned from operator imputs, etc., etc..... seems to be running/starting fantastic and doing everything it should be doing, then 300 miles or so later ? DUMPERS !  you will get in it Hot after parking somewhere for a quick stop and NO START, frigs around and tries to start.... crank... crank... part throttle fire up and rev to the moon to keep running, won't idle, a guy has to sit there and baby it for 5 minutes trying to stay running and get back down to Idle, then it will blubber away re-learning/starting over from scratch while you limp home.
Very frustrating  :brickwall:
The owner has tried numerous fixes, in touch with Holley, replaced pieces/parts, the damn thing just will NOT retain a patent running characteristic over time, and usually DUMPS when least expected.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

darbgnik

Quote from: Challenger340 on October 05, 2018, 10:03:26 AM
We've experienced problems with the Holley Sniper System notretaining it's "learn".  The problem has persisted for many months now to no avail. 
It runs fine once it has been driven, learned, been tuned from operator imputs, etc., etc..... seems to be running/starting fantastic and doing everything it should be doing, then 300 miles or so later ? DUMPERS !  you will get in it Hot after parking somewhere for a quick stop and NO START, frigs around and tries to start.... crank... crank... part throttle fire up and rev to the moon to keep running, won't idle, a guy has to sit there and baby it for 5 minutes trying to stay running and get back down to Idle, then it will blubber away re-learning/starting over from scratch while you limp home.
Very frustrating  :brickwall:
The owner has tried numerous fixes, in touch with Holley, replaced pieces/parts, the damn thing just will NOT retain a patent running characteristic over time, and usually DUMPS when least expected.

Definitely sounds like a Monday built system. Holley should know this, but it sounds like a problem with the ECU. That's the only part that has to "remember" anything. If software updates don't fix it, then it's a hardware issue. They should just send him a new one.....

I bought the Holley over the FItech, because I'm betting Holley will be around longer for support, than FItech. A disappointing account to hear, to say the least.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

John_Kunkel

Hardly anybody goes on the Internet and tells the world how well a certain product performs but if it doesn't.............
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 05, 2018, 02:07:15 PM
Hardly anybody goes on the Internet and tells the world how well a certain product performs but if it doesn't.............

Or if we do get on the internet and talk good about a product, some guys jump on board and compare it to horse and buggies.  :smilielol: :cheers: