News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering shaft 73 b-body, does not reach

Started by AmadeusCharger500, June 10, 2018, 03:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I rebuilt my 73 Charger steering column last December. It is going back in the same car it came out of, with a rebuilt steering box from firm feel. The Shaft does not reach (yes a mystery, its possible the original was a manual box and I overlooked that the reservoir was not hooked up to it). This is a several year project, so things have sat for a while.
Aside from figuring out the issue of why it does not fit, I would simply like to make it fit.
The shaft part on my column is about 40 1/2 inch length. It needs about 1.5 to 2 inches more to reach the splines on the steering box.
Is it possible to change just the shaft to get the correct length?

And if so, does anyone sell them still?

Thanks

RallyeMike

If memory serves the bottom part of the shaft is collapsable and you just need to pull it back out.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

green69rt

Doesn't the inner shaft have plastic shear pins in it that give away in a crash?  If the pins are gone or not in the right holes that may be the problem.

AmadeusCharger500

Quote from: RallyeMike on June 11, 2018, 02:34:52 PM
If memory serves the bottom part of the shaft is collapsable and you just need to pull it back out.
That sounds promising, but how do I do that?
The shaft is exposed in the top photo. Is it possible to know if it is collapsed just by looking at it in the photo? I see the little pins exposed and I remember inspecting them when I had it apart.
The lower photo is how the assembled steering column now looks. Should I remove the shaft from the column housing to pull the bottom part of the shaft back out?

RallyeMike

It's been so long I honestly can't recall. There are only two lengths - one for manual steer cars and one for power. The manual steer column is longer. It should work unless you swapped from power to manual, then there is an adapter that can be purchased to make up the difference.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

AmadeusCharger500

That
Quote from: RallyeMike on June 12, 2018, 08:30:58 PM
It's been so long I honestly can't recall. There are only two lengths - one for manual steer cars and one for power. The manual steer column is longer. It should work unless you swapped from power to manual, then there is an adapter that can be purchased to make up the difference.

That is the crux of my dilemma. I simply cannot recall or perhaps did not know at the time what steering box I sent to Firm Feel 5 years ago when I started this project. I suspect, but not sure, the previous owner may have had the power steering reservoir installed but not plumbed (it is still in my garage and the lines are clamped) but had a manual steering box and column still installed in the car (the column I rebuilt). I may have inadvertently sent/exchanged a manual box for a rebuilt power box when I purchased the unit from Firm Feel.

Does anyone currently sell an adapter?

RallyeMike

I'll give a plug for Firm Feel becasue they are somewhat local and good guys to deal with   :2thumbs:

I bought one from them and it is great. Speed tested to 170mph  :D
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

AmadeusCharger500

I finally decided to take the column back apart. I reinstalled the lock plate and pulled on the steering shaft.
Is this what you were referring to? Is it safe to put the column back together this way?