News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headlight Question:

Started by Captain D, June 10, 2018, 11:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

HI guys,

Although I don't attend any evening events with my car, I'm having some issues with my headlights as I'm just curious as to why something isn't working as it should. The crazy thing is that all of the park lamps (and every light around the car) comes on just fine - except the headlights. My headlight wiring harness is new reproduction. When we first restored the car, the headlights worked so something must have blown since nothing has changed / been altered. Below is what I've already checked on my 69' Charger:

- All the wiring (for any exposures, etc.),
- Bulkhead connectors,
- The grounds,
- And, even the fuses.

All seem to be just fine, tight, clean, and secure. My two questions at this point are:

1.) Perhaps it's a bad bulb. If one is bad & fails, do they all fail simultaneously?
2.) The floor headlight dimmer switch isn't currently hooked up. By not having it connected (or if an old one fails altogether), will that prevent the headlights from actually coming on, as well? I realize that this may be a dumb question, but as mentioned previously, the park lamps come on fine so a new floor dimmer switch will be the next thing on our list to try.

Thank you for any info...    

Alaskan_TA

I have had two high beam switches fail over the years & yes, the headlights did go out.

LaOtto70Charger

Same with me.  Switch went out and head light didn't work properly.

Captain D

Thank you gents for the reply + info,

Yep, that was the culprit - installed a new floor dimmer switch & everything is back to normal. It was a challenge to actually find one round' here where I live (most were all sold out). I bought the only one that I could get my hands on, which was a cheap $5 switch. I've seen a few online so first chance I get, I'm looking to buy a spare or two just to have in the glovebox!

Thank you for your time & help - I appreciate it!

c00nhunterjoe

In an emergency situation, you can unplug the dimmer and jump either wire together to get home.