News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

15x8 magnum 500 wheel Daytona

Started by xx29440charger, August 03, 2018, 08:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xx29440charger

I'm running 15 x 8 magnum 500 wheels in the front of my Daytona with 255 60 series Cooper tires and when I turn the steering wheel it's super close to the valence.  I was wondering what you all are using for tires if you have 15x8s. I lowered the car a couple of inches but I am thinking of going with a smaller tire and a 50 series instead of 60s. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Birdflu

I think it's the width of the 255 that's getting you in trouble. For what it's worth, I'm running 15x8's on the front of our '69 Bee with 245/60R15 BFG's and they work great!  :2thumbs:

xx29440charger

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking of going with 245 60s but just wanted to see if anyone with a Daytona runs the the 245 60 series in the front

hemi68charger

I had 15x8 Magnum 500's on my Daytona for the longest time with 255/60R/15's and never had an issue. If I recall, the backspacing was 4.5". The 15x8 NASCAR rims I have on now in the front, I do have to be careful with since they have a 4" backspacing and thus, cause the sidewall of the tire to be further away from the hub face. This causes the sidewall to sometimes touch the wheel-lip molding when turning sharp.......

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Birdflu

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 03, 2018, 12:28:43 PM
I had 15x8 Magnum 500's on my Daytona for the longest time with 255/60R/15's and never had an issue. If I recall, the backspacing was 4.5". The 15x8 NASCAR rims I have on now in the front, I do have to be careful with since they have a 4" backspacing and thus, cause the sidewall of the tire to be further away from the hub face. This causes the sidewall to sometimes touch the wheel-lip molding when turning sharp.......

Worth mentioning....I actually paid extra and had the 15x8's up front made with 4.250" backspacing. Like the quote above, 4" kicked 'em out too far. In my case I didn't like how close the 4.5" ones were on the inside...so I paid extra... :Twocents:

xx29440charger

I already have the wheels. Do you know if they sell some type of unit that I could put between the rim and the brake drum?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: xx29440charger on August 03, 2018, 02:20:05 PM
I already have the wheels. Do you know if they sell some type of unit that I could put between the rim and the brake drum?

Joe, I sent you a PM before I saw this post, I thought your rub issue may have been with the rearward portion of the frame rails, a wheel shim may have solved that, but seeing it's the valance, I'll assume it the inner portion shown below, I had this problem on a Daytona clone I was fitting wide 17" rimmed wheels on, I ended up trimming and reshaping the valance inner corner to clear

xx29440charger

Thanks Mike! I got your pm.  I was thinking of modifying the vallance because  the tire and the rim combo looks so good( the issue is on one side the left side) Either that or I will change from 255 60 series to 245 60s