News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fender Tag Tabs

Started by Frank, June 12, 2018, 09:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

i have a 1969 Charger RT/SE.  Attached to the fender tag are 2 medal tabs.  One has a 5 on it the other a 16.  Can anyone tell me what they mean.  I suspect they are for options but cannot find anything online.  Thanks.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Frank on June 12, 2018, 09:10:07 PM
i have a 1969 Charger RT/SE.  Attached to the fender tag are 2 medal tabs.  One has a 5 on it the other a 16.  Can anyone tell me what they mean.  I suspect they are for options but cannot find anything online.  Thanks.

It sounds as if you are describing the typical Hamtramck plant inspection tags. Are they square?

The simply mean someone did their job, inspected "something" and stamped the tags.

If this is not an accurate description of the tag, post a picture and we'll see what we can a to answer the question..
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

bakerhillpins

i have a 1969 Charger RT/SE.  Attached to the fender tag are 2 medal tabs.  One has a 5 on it the other a 16.  Can anyone tell me what they mean.  I suspect they are for options but cannot find anything online.  Thanks.

It is my understanding that those are Inspection tabs that were to be removed from the car as it went through production. My 69 came with one that was half as wide as the one in this pic and had an "A1" stamped in it. It seemed to be made of very thin aluminum. I left it where it was and unfortunately it vibrated and broke off where the first letter was stamped in it.  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:  I've since pulled the tag and the strip off of the car for the time being.

Pic from here:
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/extra-fender-tag-on-69-charger-what-is-it.140255/

[edit]
Added one that looked more like the one on my 69. (bottom photo)
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Alaskan_TA

There were a lot of different kinds in use over the years & some varied from plant to plant.

Frank

Looks like I came to the right place.  Thank you all for the information.  Now I know!

69CoronetRT

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 13, 2018, 06:28:19 AM
i have a 1969 Charger RT/SE.  Attached to the fender tag are 2 medal tabs.  One has a 5 on it the other a 16.  Can anyone tell me what they mean.  I suspect they are for options but cannot find anything online.  Thanks.

It is my understanding that those are Inspection tabs that were to be removed from the car as it went through production.
Added one that looked more like the one on my 69. (bottom photo)

What would be the purpose of removing documentation that something was inspected and passed?
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on June 13, 2018, 05:43:36 PM
What would be the purpose of removing documentation that something was inspected and passed?

I think the idea was the opposite of what you have stated.

I don't think it was removing something that was put there to show that inspection passed.  I think the tags were there to say that inspection needs performed. Thus a quick visual check of the Fender Tag would indicate if all of the expected inspections took place because there would be no tabs there.

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Alaskan_TA

Then why would a tag be stamped & not just removed?   

Stamping it as passing inspection & then removing that part of the tag would be, well, silly.

Why stamp it at all?  :shruggy:

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 14, 2018, 04:31:31 PM
Then why would a tag be stamped & not just removed?  

Stamping it as passing inspection & then removing that part of the tag would be, well, silly.

Why stamp it at all?  :shruggy:

Not sure... My tag isn't punched/stamped at all. Just had the metal tab. I thought that punching the tag was only done at one of the assembly plants yes? I wouldn't see it as improbable that each plant had it's own processes. It would be interesting to know if there were tag and punches together.  Then again, maybe they were both used but different quality groups used different methods? Anyone still alive that worked there? LOL..

At my office we can't even keep the same processes from one side of the building to the other.  :brickwall: :brickwall:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

JB400

Maybe, it means just the opposite.  Maybe the inspector places these tags on the cars to dictate what's wrong with vehicle, and then it is sent to appropriate department to have problem solved.  Tags are removed upon being addressed.  It could be that some tags weren't removed out of oversite or laziness.

Seem plausible?

69CoronetRT

Quote from: JB400 on June 14, 2018, 05:00:51 PM
Maybe, it means just the opposite.  Maybe the inspector places these tags on the cars to dictate what's wrong with vehicle, and then it is sent to appropriate department to have problem solved.  Tags are removed upon being addressed.  It could be that some tags weren't removed out of oversite or laziness.

Seem plausible?

If true, then why is each plant and year different? Why wouldn't the inspection process be a corporate mandate meaning we'd find consistency between plants?

Alaskan_TA

Actual research is more fun than guesses & maybes.  ;)

Exhibit A for the court;

Alaskan_TA

Exhibit B for the court, multiple plants & model years;