News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

front frame rail HELP

Started by nchrome, June 14, 2018, 09:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nchrome

Okay guys  l ordered a new front frame rail for the passenger side of my dodge (the left is good)    l know the answer is but would like some input to help me out.  Should l support my car on the torsion bar cross member which l just installed. then pull the engine then the K-member then  take measurements from the A-arm to the other and maybe cross measure the engine bay.  Then start drilling out spot welds then take out the old  and in with the new. Never done a front rail before. Am l headed in the rite direction. :Twocents: Sorry still can't figure out the picture thing

Kern Dog

I read somewhere, might be here...about this guy that had some trouble.....the AMD rail that was bought was an inch SHORT. He complained to the AMD rep and confirmed that others in their inventory were also short. The procedure to correct a mistake like that takes time to correct so they will probably sell off the wrong ones before retooling to do it right.
Again,  I don't recall exactly where I read it but the man posted pictures. He mentioned that he wished that he had known ahead of time because he would have just sectioned in a portion of the AMD rail where his was damaged.
Maybe not what you wanted to read but if it were me, I'd rather know the obstacles I was going to face.

nchrome

Kern Dog  so should l mearsure from the torsion bar cross member to the front.  if it is short guess l could send it back but then  from the K-frame  rear bolt to the front is really rotted on the out side maybe splice in from there to the bumper if l have too

Kern Dog

Being an inch short...I don't know at what point the mistake was made. You'd have to measure your original to know for sure. A factory service manual has reference points and chassis measurements to determine what is right.  Maybe measure from the t-bar crossmember to each K member bolt?  That is what will be crucial because it keeps the K member square in the chassis. If the K member mounts are an inch rearward, you will never get the K member bolted up! Even if you "egged out" the K member holes, you now have an engine mounting problem, front wheel alignment problems, a HUGE mess!

Mike DC

An inch short?  

Totally, TOTALLY unacceptable.   :rotz:

Kern Dog

I should have remembered where I read about this:

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/amd-front-frame-rails.153224/#post-910977494

I spend most of my online time there.
Good Luck.

nchrome

Well got it in and am starting to weld it up   The length of the frame rail was the same  but did find a spot where the A-arm tower goes they forgot to cut some of the top edge off to accommodate the tower to set down flush with the top of the frame rail :brickwall:.  Tomorrow l hope to get it finished up and move on to the next thing to fix. ::) Figured that instead of blasting A-arm and new bushing and ball joint through Carid a new one with bushing and ball joint is only 166.00  each :icon_smile_big:. At a salvage yard they wanted between 25-40.00 per A-arm   So for bushings ball joint sand blasting and then have everything pressed. The new is cheaper. :2thumbs:

Mike DC

Can you compare the dimensions of the new framerail to the other side (with the factory original rail), and confirm they really are the same? 

That would make two different stories about the repro rails, one person saying it was an inch short and another saying it fits right.  That is a pretty big discrepancy. 

7necharger

Quote from: nchrome on June 14, 2018, 09:28:33 PM
Okay guys  l ordered a new front frame rail for the passenger side of my dodge (the left is good)    l know the answer is but would like some input to help me out.  Should l support my car on the torsion bar cross member which l just installed. then pull the engine then the K-member then  take measurements from the A-arm to the other and maybe cross measure the engine bay.  Then start drilling out spot welds then take out the old  and in with the new. Never done a front rail before. Am l headed in the rite direction. :Twocents: Sorry still can't figure out the picture thing
I am going through same problem. Having problem with AMD front frame rails.one is giving 1/2 short measurement. Plz let me know if you figure it out.

nchrome

What l finally did was bolt u the K-frame on the good side then bolted the new one in place then checked where it was on the radiator support.  If it is short at the cross member (torsion bar cross member) cut spot weld tabs off and make new ones that will make up for the 1/2 inch off make a plate to go inside of frame to tie the extension to the frame. This worked out just fine for me on my car.  Otherwise you have a long wait waiting for them to make a new frame rail that will make up the 1/2 inch  Sorry no pictures still cant post any

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

7necharger

Quote from: nchrome on June 14, 2018, 10:16:36 PM
Kern Dog  so should l mearsure from the torsion bar cross member to the front.  if it is short guess l could send it back but then  from the K-frame  rear bolt to the front is really rotted on the out side maybe splice in from there to the bumper if l have too
I had big problem with AMD installing drivers side frame was 1" short from where it attach to torsion bar  plus the hole from starting where it attach to torsion bar was 1/2 off and driver side torsion bar hole was 1/2 off from driver side.so guys be careful before installing other wise you can't make the frame square.

7necharger

Thanks god all front frame problem solved Got tons of help from forbbodiesonly and thx you guys too.will soon start rear frame replacement too.

birdsandbees

Quote from: 7necharger on February 11, 2019, 06:08:07 PM
.will soon start rear frame replacement too.

Well jig the thing before you start those !  :slap:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

7necharger

Lol yes I will.now i did perfect measurement what ever was in the frame diagram.before complete frame was screwed badly from the previous owner. original frame was patched from everywhere and looked like frame was cracked and broked In 3 pieces.

Mike DC

Is it known whether the AMD front rails are the both same length/symmetrical from left to right?

If one of the repro rails was 1 inch longer than the other, it might help explain why we keep getting different reports about the fit.  And the company would have a hard time saying they don't need to fix that.    

7necharger

The AMD frames are good but the marking holes are off where it attach to torsion bar about 3/8 .frame  was short from passanger side frame where it attach to torsion bar about 3/4.plus be very careful with rad support if you want square measurement in side the hood .middle of the rad support there is a hole of you measure from left to right on original one it should be 21" 1/2 from both sides.mine AMD was from passenger side was showing 22" from center hole till passenger side and driver side was 21" 1/2.so that was my experience it took long time for me to figure it out without someone help.so guys note this thing out.