News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee Engine Bay

Started by Dano 1, June 15, 2018, 09:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano 1

I'm not sure which direction I'm going to go with my Charger yet but I can't deny the Dukes is what got me into these cars in the first place. I'm at the stage of pulling together my engine/engine bay and regardless of where I take the car I thought it'd be fun to try and replicate some of the General Lee engine/engine bay details from the show.

I'm sure details like valve covers, air cleaner, intake etc. varied from season to season and the stunt cars had whatever was handy or the car came with. Does anyone have any good screenshots from when we DO see the General's engine bay that could be used as a guide? Or does anyone remember specific episodes where the engine is actually seen?

Happy Birthday General Lee includes some good shots of a detailed engine but from what I remember this engine was never actually seen in a car/episode. This setup would be relatively easy to replicate and could be a good option: bare aluminum intake, generic chrome air cleaner, moroso valve covers, tan distributor cap, chrome coil etc.

If anyone has taken their General to this level of detail, do you have any part numbers or make/models of accessories to share? Thanks!
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

JB400

I think this is the one area of a GL that allows for the most creativity, because there is no wrong way or right way.  Most use that particular photo with a black engine bay, and have a good looking engine bay.  Others put it back to factory stock condition, and also look really great.

Keep in mind that the General is supposed to be a 70's hot rod.  Use era specific parts, for authenticity.  Things like Moroso valve covers, chrome air cleaner (most look for dished instead of domed), chrome brackets, hopefully, you get the point.  Be a teenage kid with a limited budget.  How would you build it?

Dano 1

Good point(s) JB, I definitely wasn't trying to say there was a 'right' and 'wrong' way to do the engine bay, hopefully I didn't come across that way.

I like your analogy to a kid in the 70's on a budget, that's really the spirit of the car for sure. I'll try and get in the mindset of a teenager in the 70's raiding the JC Whitney catalog!
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

Man those fan blades look big !!