News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seperating Spindle from upper ball joint...Tricks???? :-(

Started by AKcharger, June 15, 2018, 06:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Lol, then I'll need to buy the ball joint socket tool!!!

hemi71x

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

Kern Dog

Yeah...
I have a buddy that places almost NO importance on his time. He will spend 6 hours screwing with something, fighting, sweating, ripping his knuckles to save a few bucks.
Me? HELL NO. I get pissed and just spend the money to save time and frustration. In your case, I would have cut the damn ball joint stud after 15 minutes of effort, maybe less. A ball joint is what... $30 ?? What is your time worth?   :2thumbs:

AKcharger

Cut the ball joints then I need the special tool to replace the ball joint!

hemi71x

How long have you been dicking around with this problem, and you still haven't gotten it apart?
You must know some other enthusiast up there in Alaska, that has a torch set up that can come over your place and  heat up the spindle, as a method in separating the parts from one another.
You gotta do, what ya gotta do, sometimes in auto repair.
It's not like your in North Korea, or somewhere  where you just can't get anything.
Alaska isn't the end of the world.
If your that cheap about buying a tool to get the job done, i just can't figure that out at all.
Just suck it up, buy a tool or two, and be over and done with it.
It's not gonna break your piggy bank, now will it?

AKcharger

GOT IT!  :yesnod:

Surprising what you can do with the proper motivation...seeing the proper tool isn't available.
- Pickle fork wedged
- Full torsion bar tension on arm (with nut on)
- "Super wack" with 4lb hammer

Thanks guys

AKcharger

Oh...didn't need dolly or double hammer, one side hit was fine  :2thumbs:

hemi71x

Bob

JB400

Good to hear :cheers:  Don't forget to give the Mrs back her hammer

AKcharger

Quote from: JB400 on June 20, 2018, 04:18:49 PM
Good to hear :cheers:  Don't forget to give the Mrs back her hammer
Lol, I'd be safer if I didn't...Thanks guys!

71 SE3834V

I'm a little late for this but just so others know Auto Zone loans an upper ball joint press that will put enough pressure on the stud to knock it loose with a hammer whack. Used it recently on mine although mine had been replaced just 6 yrs ago. Also Advance Auto loans a kit that includes the ball joint socket. Found that one out after I bought one.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

AKcharger

Still good to know. Brakes all done and works great BTW :-)