News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No start, 1969 w 383 - but can jump at starter motor. Ideas?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, June 16, 2018, 11:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Drove the 69 tonite. When I first started it, the starter seemed to hang up and run on after it fired. Didn't think anything of it, and perhaps it's unrelated.

Drove 30 minutes, went to start, nothing.

Lights on dash and interior are on, can hear electric fuel pump, but no crank. The starter is not turning.

Bridged the positive post to ign. Lug. It engaged the starter and it worked. Car started.

Drove 10 minutes, grabbed dinner, went back out and nothing again.

Do under car again, bridged posts. It started again. Drove home.

Now what? Who's encountered this? And what was your resolve?
Thanks

XH29N0G

This may not be the best answer, but my approach would be to test the circuit from the key to the starter with a multimeter.  From what you have done, the solenoid and starter are good and the key is working to the point of getting turning the ignition on.  I would use the FSM to trace the wires or just work back from the starter.  For testing, I believe you could probably disconnect the battery and then look for continuity between the positive on the battery and the positive on the solenoid (or the wire leading to the solenoid).
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

charger Downunder

Clean the bulkhead connector, gently pry it apart. To test try to start the car if wont start. do it again with someone pushing on the wires in the engine bay at the bulk head connector.
[/quote]

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

bakerhillpins

So I was fighting something like this last year and it turned out to be a bad crimp on the positive battery terminal.

Sometimes it would start well, sometimes it would start hard like the battery was dead, sometimes nothing. I thought the starter motor was going and as soon as I bought a replacement and went to install it I grabbed the battery cable to remove it and the leads backed out of the crimp about 1/8".  I crushed it together with a pair of pliers and it started just fine. I need to replace that connector but keep getting stuck in other crap.  :RantExplode:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

So.... I had a lot of build-up at terminals. Cleaned them, and then re-crimped the positive. No change but looked better.

Then went to the bulkhead. I could not get it to come apart, but wiggled it for 5-7 times, then turned key, and it started...  What next?

bakerhillpins

Can you get in there to make a good inspection of the connectors? Are they dirty corroded?  Somewhere on this site there is an article about taking the bulkhead connectors and dropping them in a bucket and performing an anti oxidizing ritual on it. Looked like it came out really nice. I'll see what I can find.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

bakerhillpins

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bakerhillpins

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on June 17, 2018, 07:18:22 PM
So.... I had a lot of build-up at terminals. Cleaned them, and then re-crimped the positive. No change but looked better.

Then went to the bulkhead. I could not get it to come apart, but wiggled it for 5-7 times, then turned key, and it started...  What next?

Oh, don't forget to check the negative. Both need to be good or you can get the same issues.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 17, 2018, 07:39:46 PM
Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on June 17, 2018, 07:18:22 PM

Oh, don't forget to check the negative. Both need to be good or you can get the same issues.

Yes, did that one too. 1/2 asleep  - need nap on Father's day... too muck work  :o thanks

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 17, 2018, 07:34:30 PM
Can you get in there to make a good inspection of the connectors? Are they dirty corroded?  Somewhere on this site there is an article about taking the bulkhead connectors and dropping them in a bucket and performing an anti oxidizing ritual on it. Looked like it came out really nice. I'll see what I can find.

I've got some Deoxit aerosol, which is powerful stuff.

How do bulkhead clips unclip? Is there a trick

bakerhillpins

I've not actually done it myself but I've pulled lots of electrical connectors apart. It looks like you need a flat blade screwdriver and carefully bend out the tabs on the sides while pulling back on the connector. You should be able to unlatch one side at a time by gently rocking the connector away from that side while you have the tab pulled out a bit. So the screwdriver would be parallel to the wires on the thin side, get the tip in the small notch and gently pry out from the bottom. Make sense?

Here's a pic from the previous thread, maybe that helps as you can see one disconnected.

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire