News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Collision guys - Adhesive for Nylon to metal?

Started by bakerhillpins, June 17, 2018, 05:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

Going to try this section because all others are really about Charger work...

I've had to replace the headlamp mounting bracket on my 14 RAM. It's bonded to the radiator frame using an adhesive. I've been trying to determine what to use but ultimately end up reading a lot about adhesives but still don't know what to use.

The bracket is a lightweight rigid black plastic (nylon?) and they bonded and riveted it to the metal radiator support. Anyone know what the stuff is? It doesn't appear to melt or otherwise chemically bond to the plastic but it bonds very well. The part broke to remove it and I had to chisel it off with a 1" putty knife and light application of a hammer. It comes off pretty easy that way but it definitely bonded well.

thanks,
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Charger-Bodie

You need panel bond adhesive.

To remove you will need heat or just grind it off
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on June 17, 2018, 06:21:12 PM
You need panel bond adhesive.

To remove you will need heat or just grind it off

I was able to scrape/chip it off with the putty knife. In some places the black paint came with it and you can see the zinc coated metal below. Do I need to prime and paint it to cover those areas?

I was selfishly hoping you would chime in.  :2thumbs:

Excellent,
Thanks Brian!!
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Charger-Bodie

For the panel bond to adhere the zinc will need to be ground off .
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............