News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RM23U0A164626 - part of an incredible auction in Terre Haute, Indiana June 2018

Started by held1823, June 17, 2018, 10:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Birdflu

Are those rallye's painted green or are my eyes playing games with me?  :shruggy:

Luis9995

I've been following this auction for 4 months now please let me have a chance at it guys. I'm just 22 and this is my dream car.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

taxspeaker

Quote from: Luis9995 on June 18, 2018, 01:17:43 AM
I've been following this auction for 4 months now please let me have a chance at it guys. I'm just 22 and this is my dream car.

Let him get it guys!-a nice guy, I have talked with him about my barn find. Ended up not doing the deal because I decided to keep the car but nice to see a young guy save, save, save to get what he wants!

Good luck Luis.
Bob

Birdflu

Luis,
Though I'm no longer in my youth as you are, I understand the frustration and anxiety when you really have a passion for something and they look as though they are getting out of reach! I've ran across your Superbird 'wanted' Craigslist ads in my area for quite some time. It took me 10 years to replace the car pictured in my avatar with another Tor-Red 'bird. FYI...I will NOT be bidding against you...GOOD LUCK!  :2thumbs: 

Redbird

There was a 440+4 Tor-Red, auto on Column, bench seat car on e-bay a couple of weeks ago for 70K. Looked like a nice car with some issues. It disappeared rather quickly, I wonder what was the deal with it?

This one, even with the add on intake, will sell for a lot more I'm guessing.

Charger-Bodie

Wonder why no pics of the interior. Sounds like a car that a late friend of mine sold in the 80s . Anyone have anymore details? Original dealer?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Luis9995

Quote from: taxspeaker on June 18, 2018, 10:19:44 AM

Let him get it guys!-a nice guy, I have talked with him about my barn find. Ended up not doing the deal because I decided to keep the car but nice to see a young guy save, save, save to get what he wants!

Good luck Luis.
Bob

thank you Bob! I appreciate it. I have a higher limit now than before. Don't want to put my total on here in case anyone is going to bid against me but it has a buyer's premium of 15% in person and 18% online plus Indiana tax they charge on top of that of 7%. But I feel confident since it hadn't been posted on any forums til now just a few days before. I do have my plane ticket and auction tickets to bid in person.

Luis9995

Quote from: Birdflu on June 18, 2018, 10:41:17 AM

Luis,
Though I'm no longer in my youth as you are, I understand the frustration and anxiety when you really have a passion for something and they look as though they are getting out of reach! I've ran across your Superbird 'wanted' Craigslist ads in my area for quite some time. It took me 10 years to replace the car pictured in my avatar with another Tor-Red 'bird. FYI...I will NOT be bidding against you...GOOD LUCK!  :2thumbs: 

Thank you! And yeah I've been looking since 17. So 5 years now but I think i should have about enough of what it'll cost to win this one.

Luis9995

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on June 18, 2018, 12:05:30 PM
Wonder why no pics of the interior. Sounds like a car that a late friend of mine sold in the 80s . Anyone have anymore details? Original dealer?

It could possibly be it. The auction company gave me all the info they could on it. Wasn't much but the owner had purchased it in the 80's and they said the restoration was done around that time. The restoration isn't anywhere near show quality but it's good enough for me. It's a bench seat 440 auto column shift car. I've gotten pictures not on the listing and it has some paint chips biggest one being near the lower valance on the passenger side. Some paint drips. Some over spray on the interior by the door jambs. And the front lower balance looks like it could be fiberglass because in about half the pictures I have the pai on it looks like it has plastic wrap for sandwiches. So I'm assuming fiberglass. I'll be able to better tell in person. There's other small things here and there but nothing major and a few things I'd get restored like the exhaust manifolds and wiper motor and a couple other things. But it's my favorite color combo on a superbird and I don't mind it being a bench seat column shift at all. I just really want a superbird. I'll let you guys all know if I do manage to get it. Thanks!

Luis9995

I also know the car was bought new in rushville Indiana, and from there not sure who owned it before becoming part of Don Smith's car collection.

Birdflu

Flying in from California to attend the auction in person...impressive! I may be wrong, but why would you be exposed to Indiana sales tax when you're going to bring the car back to California?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Luis9995 on June 18, 2018, 04:59:27 PM

I also know the car was bought new in rushville Indiana, and from there not sure who owned it before becoming part of Don Smith's car collection.

Not the one I was angling for. I'm from ne Iowa
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Luis9995

Quote from: Birdflu on June 18, 2018, 05:00:36 PM
Flying in from California to attend the auction in person...impressive! I may be wrong, but why would you be exposed to Indiana sales tax when you're going to bring the car back to California?

Yes. I want to see the car in person if I'm going to spend that kind of money. I also figured I'd take vacation and visit family I have up in Wisconsin afterwards for the week. And the 3% buyers premium difference from 15% onsite to 18% online bidding will make a difference in final costs if the bids get really high. The company auctioning it off charges the Indiana sales tax. Not sure why maybe because they're an auction/estate sale company? The good thing is I did research and California is a state that if you pay sales tax to them then you don't have to pay it here as long as you show proof. Unless taxes here are higher on a vehicle purchase then u just pay the difference which is half a percent higher in California only.

held1823

I also know the car was bought new in rushville Indiana....

that's where my daytona was sold new
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Birdflu

Quote from: Luis9995 on June 18, 2018, 08:02:50 PM

Yes. I want to see the car in person if I'm going to spend that kind of money. I also figured I'd take vacation and visit family I have up in Wisconsin afterwards for the week. And the 3% buyers premium difference from 15% onsite to 18% online bidding will make a difference in final costs if the bids get really high. The company auctioning it off charges the Indiana sales tax. Not sure why maybe because they're an auction/estate sale company? The good thing is I did research and California is a state that if you pay sales tax to them then you don't have to pay it here as long as you show proof. Unless taxes here are higher on a vehicle purchase then u just pay the difference which is half a percent higher in California only.

Guess I'm fortunate Minnesota doesn't collect sales tax on collector status vehicles...WHEW! 

Luis9995

Quote from: Birdflu on June 18, 2018, 08:21:58 PM
Quote from: Luis9995 on June 18, 2018, 08:02:50 PM

Guess I'm fortunate Minnesota doesn't collect sales tax on collector status vehicles...WHEW! 
That's pretty nice! California tries to tax on every little thing they can. So registration fees will be a little high but definitely worth it

Redbird

Almost every State wants and needs the money from Registrations and licensing to pay for roads. Someone has to pay for them. California is little different in application from other states. If one does not want to pay, license your car under Montana's system and see how that works.

Everyone complains when the bridges fall down, the streets aren't paved, and potholes abound. None of us feel we are personally responsible for maintaining any roads. Electric cars pay no gas tax why should I; I hardly drive-why should I pay so much; businesses should pay-not individuals?

Birdflu

taxspeaker

Birdflu

No kidding! That's awesome! Glad to see an enthusiast end up with a car rather than a dealer.  :2thumbs:

Dave Kanofsky

Now he needs to bring it to the Talladega Aero Warriors Reunion next year to share it with us!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Luis9995

Quote from: Birdflu on June 25, 2018, 09:17:43 PM
Anyone know what this car went for?

Hey guys, hadn't posted since I don't have the best cell service where I'm staying on vacation but I did get it. I think I got a deal on it. $74K plus 15% buyer's premium and 7% Indiana tax. It totaled at 91,057. The car looks better in the pictures but it's still a really good driver so since I want to actually drive it and enjoy it I won't need to restore it. just drive it as is.

I'll post pictures once it's delivered to my house.

1970Moparmann

Congrats! :cheers:   Looks pretty damn good in the pictures.  What is "off" about it?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!