News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Voltage regulator?

Started by moparnole, June 19, 2018, 07:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparnole

Hey guys, on my 72 when the engine is running, the battery is reading 18 volts, which sounds to me like a good recipe for ruining a battery, I have read on other forums about the voltage regulator needing to be grounded to be functional and I was wondering if that could be my issue, and if it is, where might be the best place to ground it? Dumb question I know, but any help is greatly appreciated!

NHCharger

Is the 18 volts according to your gauge in the car or you checking it with a multi-meter?
THe voltage regulator on my 68 went a few years ago. Started off slowly, I noticed the gauge read a bit higher cruising one day. then next day at a car show, went to leave, the voltage gauge stayed at 40 volts after I started it. Had to disconnect the alternator for the drive home.
I would think the screws attaching the V/R to the firewall would be a good enough ground. Never had an issue with any of my Chargers in that aspect.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

moparnole

That reading came from my volt meter when touching the posts on the battery, I have had one battery go out and I cant help but think that had something to do with it. If the regulator being bolted to the firewall should do for a ground, what else could it be that's causing the battery to get that many volts if the regulator is new?

Charger RT

The regulator adjust field current by the voltage it reads inside its self. One of the two wires on the regulator (forget the wire color) is a keyed positive wire. with the engine running read the voltage between that wire and the regulator case. If the reading is the same as what you got at the battery try a new regulator. If it is more like 14 volts either the ground circuit to the regulator has high resistance or the keyed positive wire has high resistance.
Tim

John_Kunkel

Disconnect the green field wire from the alternator, if the battery voltage still runs high the alternator has an internal short. If the alternator output stops with the green wire disconnected, check the green wire for a short to ground between the alternator and the regulator. If the green wire checks OK, the regulator is bad.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.