News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which Code Reader Would You Recommend?

Started by Old Moparz, June 21, 2018, 02:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

I've never owned one but would like to get one & have no idea which one to buy.  :shruggy:

The prices are all over the place, from $23 up to over $300. I assume that like with most tools you get what you pay for. I'm not going to be using this on a regular basis so an inexpensive one is more desirable.

Can someone give me an idea of a decent one to buy or one to stay away from?

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

HANDM

I picked up a bosch one from Oreileys for 89 bucks or so. Reads codes as well as the sensors being ready or not. Seems to work well for what I've used it for

Dino

If you just need a code reader then go with one of the cheaper versions. OBDII and Carista are nice, but you probably want to check on more specific forums where these are used for your cars. The expensive ones usually have way more options. I have one for the Audi that reads and resets codes but also has the ability to change settings in the onboard computer. Nifty, but useless if you don't need it! I've been tempted to use it to adjust the suspension and drop that sucker!   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

alfaitalia

I find Torque Pro really useful. Was only about £6 to download the aplan to my phone and tablet..so what's that $7? Get yourself a Bluetooth dongle to plug into your OBD2 port and off you go. Worked on everything I've plugged it into so far....
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Troy

I have 2.

OBDLink MX is a bluetooth device that plugs into the OBD port in the car and transmits a signal to a cell phone or laptop. The software is fairly comprehensive and can display a lot of engine parameters in real time.
https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxbt/

Then I have a cheap Autel (there are clones of this thing from many brands) that I use mostly for my Toyota trucks when the engine light comes on. It's a handheld with a cord. It's got a very basic LCD screen with limited output - but really doesn't require much in the way of setup or configuration. It will just tell you the code and you have to Google what it means.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/444583152912570847?client=firefox-b-1-ab&biw=1275&bih=727&q=autel+obd+code+reader&oq=autel+obd+code+reader&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiD187E8-rbAhUh3YMKHYR_C0QQrRIIWQ

What you'll find is the cheap ones read ODBII trouble codes. It's a standard "language" and has been around since 1997 so there aren't too many surprises. Some tools can "reset" the codes - others just read. I believe all manufacturers have a procedure to reset codes using the key or whatever so a reader is just fine if you can figure out that your car needs to reset. Then... some auto manufacturers have "piggybacked" extra information through the CANBUS or other wiring that can also be read through the ODBII port. You need a dedicated reader or special software to get at this information. This is where the price jumps by a large margin. I can buy these software modules for the MX above but they are "add-ons".

There are cheap dongles on eBay that usually work and free phone apps. However, I know you still have a flip phone that isn't capable of any of that. ;)

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BrianShaughnessy

If you just want to read and erase codes...  you can get anything for $20 off ebay.   If it works on your vehicle it's good enough.   :2thumbs:

I do have an actron that cost a lot more because I thought I needed to ready ABS codes and it was gonna be the greatest thing... so I thought.   A few years later with the 14 Cherokee I find out it's barely usable... and I bought the one that can't be updated over the web   :flame:   

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

69wannabe

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on June 23, 2018, 07:01:08 PM
If you just want to read and erase codes...  you can get anything for $20 off ebay.   If it works on your vehicle it's good enough.   :2thumbs:

I do have an actron that cost a lot more because I thought I needed to ready ABS codes and it was gonna be the greatest thing... so I thought.   A few years later with the 14 Cherokee I find out it's barely usable... and I bought the one that can't be updated over the web   :flame:   

Same here, I have a matco I bought back around 2007 which looks exactly like the actron scanner with the ABS scanner as well. It works fine on older stuff and most of my stuff is older but the wife has a 2015 jeep renegade that i'm sure it won't read.  May have to break down and pick up a newer one when something happens...

Troy

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 24, 2018, 01:38:08 PM
Best bang for the buck is the ELM327 Bluetooth dongle and the Torque or Torque Pro app for the smart phone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-v2-1-Bluetooth-Android-OBD2-Scanner-Adapter-OBDII-Diagnostic-Tool-TORQUE/332386222310

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQSsUPrGLHs
When I was researching all this stuff the reviews of those generic ELM 327s were very hit or miss so I passed. It could very well be different now is this was several years ago. The torque software is supposed to be pretty good but I no longer have it since I got the paid software with the MX.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

John_Kunkel

More money than the ELM327 but more info too, even picks up "events" that don't trip a CEL.

https://www.bluedriver.com/

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Old Moparz

Thanks for the replies.   :cheers:

I ended up with a reasonably priced one from the parts store near me, an Actron for $65. I needed to clear the check engine light in my truck, which has been driving me nuts, before my inspection sticker expires the end of the month.

Not sure what the hell is wrong because it will be out for months & months, then suddenly light up. Of course it was out since January & decided to reappear now when my inspection is due. :brickwall:

Smart phone readers?.....Wow, that's great, but I have a cheap flip phone & the best I can do is send a text to my truck.  :lol:

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus