News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NOS DAYTONA FENDER

Started by GY9 CUDA, June 22, 2018, 07:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GY9 CUDA

Lets try this again, I have what I believe is an NOS Daytona fender, I have been around mopars for quite awhile but i'm kinda of an e body and simple b body guy, I came here seeking you guys expert opinions and advice, when i got the fender from a guy who was about 80 yrs old he said he primer it to keep the rust away since we are in the midwest, with that said can you guys tell me if what I have is indeed a Daytona fender and if so what its possibly worth, thanks guys, new here and just resized my pic so hope it works

johntpr

Odd that it doesn't have hole in fender scoop area, but on the other hand, it doesn't have evidence of maker light hole, and is cut off properly to meet Daytona valance.  Really hard to guess without seeing in person.

Birdflu

Is that a rear window plug leaning up against the building in the fourth pic? Sorry I'm not your authority on the fender... :shruggy:

talkiemopar

Birdflu

My wife always said I have wandering eyes!  :lol:

charger chris

I was wandering to? I don't see a hole for the scoop. I don't see a hole for the 70 marker light and the head light bracket is missing.  I don't know because someone with good wielding skill can make a 70 charger fender look like a Daytona fender. I just don't under stand why the hole for the scoop is there.  unless some one didn't know there was suppost to be one there.  :popcrn:  :scratchchin:  :shruggy:
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

GY9 CUDA

Quote from: Birdflu on June 22, 2018, 10:11:29 PM
Is that a rear window plug leaning up against the building in the fourth pic? Sorry I'm not your authority on the fender... :shruggy:

yes it is. are you interested in purchasing it?

GY9 CUDA

Quote from: charger chris on June 23, 2018, 12:42:02 AM
I was wandering to? I don't see a hole for the scoop. I don't see a hole for the 70 marker light and the head light bracket is missing.  I don't know because someone with good wielding skill can make a 70 charger fender look like a Daytona fender. I just don't under stand why the hole for the scoop is there.  unless some one didn't know there was suppost to be one there.  :popcrn:  :scratchchin:  :shruggy:

this is a Daytona fender, it doesn't have a marker light, thats the idea of a Daytona fender, I'm sure you meant to say 'why the hole for the scoop ISN'T there, not IS there.. and i'm sure if someone took the time to somehow fake this fender they would have known about the hole for the scoop.

70 sublime

Quote from: GY9 CUDA on June 23, 2018, 08:39:32 AM

Might be interested
Did you get a glass for it also and some of the chrome trim or just the plug ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

GY9 CUDA

Quote from: 70 sublime on June 23, 2018, 09:32:23 AM
Quote from: GY9 CUDA on June 23, 2018, 08:39:32 AM

Might be interested
Did you get a glass for it also and some of the chrome trim or just the plug ?

I'm sorry I think i'm confused about the piece you are talking about, I think the piece you are seeing in the back is for a challenger Se, with the smaller window, I don't think that is for a wing car but I could be wrong, I can get better pics of it this week.

charger chris

You have a very nice fender my friend. All i was doing making some remarks about your fender. There are some people on here who have been around a lot longer then me. Some have got there ( Daytonas , qsuper birds)when they was new. You mite ask them. I have no beef with you or what you askin for it over on b-body's only. I am more interested in if it real or not
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

DAY CLONA

It appears to be a NOS Daytona fender from the pics, the lack of the scoop hole means nothing, as NOS fenders Daytona or not can be lacking details found in production fenders, this applies to any NOS part...

You'll have to look closely where the guide light would have been on a stock 70 Charger fender to see if anyone butt welded a patch in to simulate a Daytona fender, normally there's a little cut out on the flange where the valance bolts up to, but again that means little as Daytona fenders were modified by various individuals, each performing the mods in different manners/fashion...

It's a nice clean fender on all accounts, if there's no indications that it been created from a 70 production fender, and no indications it's ever been mounted, then for all intent purposes it may be marketed as NOS, I assume your looking to assign some value to it?, for future resale?

Mike

edit: OK I see that it's listed over at B Bodies Only for $10K.....a little high IMHO, but in today's market NOS is few/far between, even more so for wingcar stuff, if the "long dollar" is what your after, it'll come along eventually, plenty of guys with deep pockets....

Hmmm...now I see it on your FB page/post for $7K....why the 2 different prices?  :shruggy:

chargervert

I looked at the NOS Daytona fender that Tom from New Jersey, had  for sale at Carlisle a few years ago, and it had the 70 marker light impression pressed into it, but the hole was not punched out. It didn't have the scoop hole punched out either.  I am guessing that Creative Industries probably drilled the scoop holes, tacked the screen mesch in,and mounted the scoops.

odcics2

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 23, 2018, 01:57:18 PM
It appears to be a NOS Daytona fender from the pics, the lack of the scoop hole means nothing, as NOS fenders Daytona or not can be lacking details found in production fenders, this applies to any NOS part...

You'll have to look closely where the guide light would have been on a stock 70 Charger fender to see if anyone butt welded a patch in to simulate a Daytona fender, normally there's a little cut out on the flange where the valance bolts up to, but again that means little as Daytona fenders were modified by various individuals, each performing the mods in different manners/fashion...

It's a nice clean fender on all accounts, if there's no indications that it been created from a 70 production fender, and no indications it's ever been mounted, then for all intent purposes it may be marketed as NOS, I assume your looking to assign some value to it?, for future resale?

Mike

edit: OK I see that it's listed over at B Bodies Only for $10K.....a little high IMHO, but in today's market NOS is few/far between, even more so for wingcar stuff, if the "long dollar" is what your after, it'll come along eventually, plenty of guys with deep pockets....

Hmmm...now I see it on your FB page/post for $7K....why the 2 different prices?  :shruggy:

I had an NOS fender once. Looked inside that it was pieced together!  Had the 3412xxx factory stencil on it.  Had a fender exhauster hole too.
This was back in the 90s.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

GY9 CUDA

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 23, 2018, 01:57:18 PM

Mike

Thank you so much for your response, I'm really just trying to figure out what I had, I meant to re list it for 8K, hopefully someone needs it, i must have hit the 7 by accident, i will fix that, I'm going to have it stripped to see whats underneath, that should relieve all doubt, except for the haters of course, which i found was just about everyone on the Facebook mopar sites,

Hmmm...now I see it on your FB page/post for $7K....why the 2 different prices?  :shruggy:

GY9 CUDA

thank you for your response, I'm going to strip the fender to find out whats underneath, I adj the price to 8K, I need to fix that

Mopar John

Here is a picture of my original Daytona fender showing the fender flange where it meets the valance.
You can see the notch that Mike ( Dayclona ) speaks of in his reply.
There are additional holes present in the original also.
MJ

GY9 CUDA

Quote from: Mopar John on June 26, 2018, 10:32:21 AM
Here is a picture of my original Daytona fender showing the fender flange where it meets the valance.
You can see the notch that Mike ( Dayclona ) speaks of in his reply.
There are additional holes present in the original also.
MJ

Thank you for the pic and your response, do you think than that I don't have a daytona fender?? I see the notch you are talking about and the 2 extra holes. I don;t want to mis represent this fender at all, just looking to find out what it is then sell it, if I strip the fender and there is no evidence of anything being welded up, such as side marker light, what do you think then? Thanks for all your help, just trying to get some good solid advice

Mopar John

GY9 CUDA,
I would like for someone to post a picture of a 1970 Dodge Charger fender with the same view as my Daytona fender.
If a 1970 Charger fender has those 3 holes I would strip that area also to see if someone cut and folded the area behind them?
Because of the missing hole and screen for the fender scoop and the missing details for the back half of the flange
I am leaning towards the senario that someone made this from an NOS 1970 Charger fender then primed it?
Most of the cars being restored are using the 1970 Charger fenders so it's still desireable but will hurt the value.
MJ

odcics2

Good idea to strip it and see what ya got.   

:2thumbs:

Davtona

Quote from: Mopar John on June 27, 2018, 07:46:02 PM
I would like for someone to post a picture of a 1970 Dodge Charger fender with the same view as my Daytona fender.
MJ

I've got a pair of NOS 70 Charger fenders tucked away John. I'll see about getting a picture. Both have the 3 holes and the 2 notches just like your Daytona fender. Dave Patik's article in Winged Warriors archives also shows a couple small tabs on the underneath side of the fender by the cowl. Supposed to be Daytona only specific. Not so my 70 fenders have them. I've never found any differences between the Daytona fender and a 70 Charger fender other than the bottom bent over with the 2 extra holes on the Daytona. Oh and of course the Daytona has no side marker cut out. Fill in the side marker, bend, drill & prime and you can't tell the difference. If the side marker hole was done professionally enough I'm sure it could be made to look like the hole was never there. What you going to do X Ray it to verify. Does it matter?? Nobody can tell the difference this thread is proof of that. The only reason it matters is because of the asking price of this fender. NOS 70 Charger fenders are hard to find I'll be the 1st to agree but are they worth this price?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Mopar John on June 27, 2018, 07:46:02 PM
GY9 CUDA,
If a 1970 Charger fender has those 3 holes I would strip that area also to see if someone cut and folded the area behind them?
Because of the missing hole and screen for the fender scoop and the missing details for the back half of the flange
I am leaning towards the senario that someone made this from an NOS 1970 Charger fender then primed it?
Most of the cars being restored are using the 1970 Charger fenders so it's still desireable but will hurt the value.
MJ

Generally NOS or production 70 fender your going to have the "front" forward 3 holes, and the little cut out section where the "dog leg" section of the fender gets cut off to form the Daytona rear lip for the valance to bolt to, guide light recession and/or cut outs were a
secondary operation in the forming of the primary outer skin, during the Daytona run they merely eliminated that operation as they didn't need the 70 sidemarker....  I have 4 1970 NOS Charger fenders, 1 only has the recession punched for the side marker, but no cut out, the other has no side marker at all....  NOS for the most part of it was run off that had issues, that the assembly line had no time to deal with, so it was put in the system for collision parts where dealerships and bodyshops had the time to make any alterations/corrections needed, I'm sure a few oddballs made it out to the line over the years, as well as oddballs making it out to NOS stock, I've seen/had quite a few oddball NOS pieces over the years A,B, and E body

I saw quite a few odd/incomplete NOS Daytona and Bird stuff that Rod Adair (Great Lakes NOS) had over the decades, so never say never when it comes to wingcar stuff...

....the OP is best stripping the piece to confirm that it doesn't look contrived... but perhaps indeed something Creative may have modified and abandoned during production

Here's a 70 production fender for discussion

Mike

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Davtona on June 27, 2018, 09:29:03 PM

Dave Patik's article in Winged Warriors archives also shows a couple small tabs on the underneath side of the fender by the cowl.

If I recall, the "tab" that D. Patik refers too, it's only on the Passenger fender IIRC? by the antenna hole?....

and while Dave is a great guy and has done a lot for the hobby, he's only human and has been known to make claims, like we all do, that are sometimes false/incorrect or just inconclusive observations or memory lapse

Mike  

Davtona

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 27, 2018, 09:50:31 PM

Dave Patik's article in Winged Warriors archives also shows a couple small tabs on the underneath side of the fender by the cowl.

If I recall, the "tab" that D. Patik refers too, it's only on the drivers fender IIRC?.... and while Dave is a great guy and has done a lot for the hobby, he's only human and has been known to make claims, like we all do, that are sometimes false/incorrect or just inconclusive observations or memory lapse

Mike  

Yes you are correct. Its on the passenger side. There is a tab on the other side also for a splash shield I believe which I was referring to as the second tab. I did not mean anything derogatory against Dave here. Simply stating that I have never found anything different between a 70 fender and a Daytona fender other than the bottom and the side marker.

richRTSE

Did Daytona fenders have the headlight buckets removed, or were they never installed?

charger chris

Quote from: richRTSE on June 28, 2018, 08:42:43 AM
Did Daytona fenders have the headlight buckets removed, or were they never installed?
good question. I was wandering the same thing.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Davtona on June 27, 2018, 10:03:48 PM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 27, 2018, 09:50:31 PM

If I recall, the "tab" that D. Patik refers too, it's only on the drivers fender IIRC?.... and while Dave is a great guy and has done a lot for the hobby, he's only human and has been known to make claims, like we all do, that are sometimes false/incorrect or just inconclusive observations or memory lapse

Mike  

Yes you are correct. Its on the passenger side. There is a tab on the other side also for a splash shield I believe which I was referring to as the second tab. I did not mean anything derogatory against Dave here. Simply stating that I have never found anything different between a 70 fender and a Daytona fender other than the bottom and the side marker.

Daytona, I didn't mean to imply you said anything derogatory about D. Patik, sorry if it came across that way?...  I was trying to imply that sometimes when we quote information from individuals like Dave Patik and other "gurus", others sometimes take it as gospel or an end all to the topic at hand

Mike

chargervert

The concern for a potential buyer is that they may pay top dollar for a very nicely done converted 70 Charger fender.  If I  were  paying the long dollar for an NOS Daytona fender, I would want to be dam sure that that is what I bought.

odcics2

Quote from: chargervert on June 28, 2018, 02:00:26 PM
The concern for a potential buyer is that they may pay top dollar for a very nicely done converted 70 Charger fender.  If I  were  paying the long dollar for an NOS Daytona fender, I would want to be dam sure that that is what I bought.

Just like a real 1969.5 Daytona hood versus a highly modified 1970 Charger hood, made to appear like a Daytona hood.   

charger chris

:scratchchin:
Quote from: odcics2 on July 04, 2018, 05:39:25 PM

Just like a real 1969.5 Daytona hood versus a highly modified 1970 Charger hood, made to appear like a Daytona hood.   
I thought the hoods was the same beside a couple of spot that was different in the stamping.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

odcics2

Quote from: charger chris on July 04, 2018, 05:47:34 PM
:scratchchin:
Quote from: odcics2 on July 04, 2018, 05:39:25 PM

I thought the hoods was the same beside a couple of spot that was different in the stamping.

Link to a Daytona versus 70 Charger hood thread - http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,130780.0.html

In the past, guys would mess with the front of the hood fixing the obvious stuff. Looks like there are other holes and the 2 indents near the bottom. Another thing is the size of the 'scallops' under the hood to cowl seal.  Daytona = small.  70 Charger = large. 

Again - if you are paying the long dollar for a real part, it better be real and not modified.   

odcics2