News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

restoring los muertos

Started by moparqueen, June 25, 2018, 10:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Wive's do come in handy don't they? My Mrs. is the same......lends a helping hand (literally) whenever I need it.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Lennard

Quote from: Kern Dog on June 28, 2018, 11:24:37 PM
Hmmmm.... :scratchchin:
I get the feeling that most of the progress has been done longer than she has been a member here.
You may be SUPERWoman but nobody gets that much work done in three days....Not even CB Restorations!
She's been a member here since December 28, 2014.

Kern Dog

Thank you, I did see that. I was just commenting because I do not recall seeing anything of hers prior to this week.
That is a cool way to go though...Wait and then post up a bunch of pictures all at once, sort of like "binge watching" a TV show.

moparqueen

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted in some weeks, both rockers are welded on now so I am working toward the back on getting the rear frame rails put on, EXCEPT
one huge problem, my front leaf spring hangars were in the way of installing the rear frame rails SOO, I removed one of them before taking any measurements. .
i made a stupid mistake , i thought the relocation kit for hangars didn't go off of the old ones. . I just realized in more pictures I found for this kit, it DOES use
the backplate of the old hangars to butt up against. :( Can any of you,  if you have a moment take any measurements off of your front leaf spring hangars on your charger? since the back of my car is missing, i only have the torsion cross member to go off of measuring distance wise, can any of you can measure both sides on how far the torsion cross member is from the front leaf spring hangars? And how far apart are the leaf spring hangars are  across from each other? please and thank you.

here are some picture to show you the part i am talking about

[/URL][/img]

before and after removing it ( the mistake i made)

and this is the kit i found that i had a hard time telling if i still needed the old hangars, i thought it went off of the frame rails only
but i was mistaken

cdr

from the front side of the trans xmember NOT the back side :)  to the 4 hole mounting surface for the spring hanger is 54"
on the spring hanger itself when on the car, outside to outside is 47 1/4
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cdr

inside to inside is 34.5 of the rear frame rail in the same area as the spring hanger
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

cdr

this might help

cdr

outside to outside is 39, rear frame rail near the front spring hanger

moparqueen

thank you so much Charlie, this helps a lot

Charger_Fan

Quote from: moparqueen on June 25, 2018, 11:11:55 PM

I just stumbled on your thread today, and the first thing that came to mind was WOWx2! Or maybe double WOW.  :icon_smile_big: One WOW because someone actually rescued that old rusty, dented hulk from the desert & is now restoring it. And a second WOW because it is a young woman doing the work! :2thumbs:

I am very impressed with how much you have accomplished on your Charger so far...in what, 2 years so now? Very cool.
Also, I assume that's your Dad behind the car in this pic? Is he able to lend a hand on your project? I bet he was "really excited" to see you bring home this pile-o-rust, huh?  :lol:

Keep at it, you are doing great! Looking forward to your continued updates. :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

THE CHARGER PUNK

Great progress! My dream to one day find a 68 roller. Like fresh canvas  :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

What the heck happened? The OP was posting a bunch then disappeared as if she owed me money.

moparqueen

Hey everyone sorry it's been a minute since I last posted, the last time I posted was removing the rear leaf spring mounts and then got worried because I did not measure when taking them off thinking I did not need too if I'm putting custom suspension. I will not be using any of my original suspension.  With that being said, I have decided to still put back my original suspension mounts just in case and am gonna try and hopefully put it back accurately.  I stopped during the winter and have started up again this spring. Right now the trunk and rear valence have been removed as of today, I decided to keep my tail panel and trunk gutters, I'm just gonna repair them .My friend came over and helped weld in braces so there is some support, we decided to tack them to the inside of the roof because I am going to have some else repair and patch the back window sill. This is because I am not replacing the deck filler panel and it's not in good shape around the edges.. Here are some pictures of where it's at right now in the back. Tomorrow I am having help come over to remove the rest of the quarter as you can see it's probably best to replace the quarter and deck filler panel at the same time BUT I gotta find a way where some how it's only the quarter being brand new, so more pictures tomorrow to see the test fit of how to fit that in there. :)
Sorry it's been so long but I got help now where I was stuck.

i will need to remove the quarter seam as you can still see the jagged left overs

soo i think the spot welds are on the other side i have not marked them off yet but i'm hoping they are not too hard to remove

moparqueen

Quote from: Charger_Fan on August 23, 2018, 01:53:37 PM
Quote from: moparqueen on June 25, 2018, 11:11:55 PM

I just stumbled on your thread today, and the first thing that came to mind was WOWx2! Or maybe double WOW.  :icon_smile_big: One WOW because someone actually rescued that old rusty, dented hulk from the desert & is now restoring it. And a second WOW because it is a young woman doing the work! :2thumbs:

I am very impressed with how much you have accomplished on your Charger so far...in what, 2 years so now? Very cool.
Also, I assume that's your Dad behind the car in this pic? Is he able to lend a hand on your project? I bet he was "really excited" to see you bring home this pile-o-rust, huh?  :lol:

Keep at it, you are doing great! Looking forward to your continued updates. :cheers:

thank you! :) actually he doesn't really get involved and both my parents were kinda worried when they saw me bring it home XD lol he's been rushing me to it get done because he wants his garage back, i've kind of turned into a shop on one side. lol i wish i would have got more done to it in the 2 years, i admit i got distracted in life, it should have way more done to it this year.

orange383

Glad to see you are still making progress with the Charger.
Looking forward to more updates.

Birdflu

Quote from: orange383 on March 10, 2019, 02:02:01 AM
Likewise!  :2thumbs:

moparqueen

Quote from: Dino on June 28, 2018, 02:11:57 PM
For blasting, the more you're covered the better. But with a good n95 paint mask you can protect your lungs. I use a $30 3M mask for painting and blasting. But I don't do blasting anywhere but outside so that helps! A fool suit with hood and air supply is really the only way to do blasting inside. No two ways about it.

For future reference: Painting polyurethane with skin exposed is 'almost' as bad as breading the fumes. Wear a full paint suit, gloves, and face mask with air supply because I have a funny feeling you're going to end up painting that car yourself as well.  :2thumbs:

Hey Dino, thank you for the suggestion I will look into this mask , that price sounds too good to beat. I really do want to prep and primer some parts at least in the future 😊 , it was fun putting the epoxy on.

moparqueen

Quote from: 67440chrg on June 28, 2018, 02:58:59 PM
Progress looks great. I wish my daughters had more interest in cars. They did go to a bunch of car stuff when they were real young. Its all about friends and boys now.I will just have to chase the boys off in the Charger.

Lmao That is too funny I really did imagine a dad chasing people in the charger 😂😂😂 sounds like something they should put in a movie. And that is awesome that you atleast got to do stuff with them when they were little with cars, if I ever have kids I would love to do the same :)

moparqueen

Quote from: Kern Dog on June 29, 2018, 04:29:01 PM
Thank you, I did see that. I was just commenting because I do not recall seeing anything of hers prior to this week.
That is a cool way to go though...Wait and then post up a bunch of pictures all at once, sort of like "binge watching" a TV show.

Yeah , I didn't post my work right away I was honestly too intimidated to make my own thread and chat with you guys. All my work I posted as of now is within the time span of 3 years of having it.

moparqueen

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 28, 2018, 04:30:34 PM
Cool to see another lady in the hobby.

One of my pals has this sticker in the window of her car;

Thank you and that is a cool sticker 😊

moparqueen

Quote from: orange383 on March 10, 2019, 02:02:01 AM

Hey Matt, how are things with the charger, have you gotten back to it  ? I read your reply that you removed some parts and  the quarters, by the way are you doing a full repair on them or are you cutting just across the curve on them? I sometimes wish I would have done the latter cause it's been confusing seeing how it comes apart. Did you ever finish the beetle ? And I haven't purchased a mask yet but I will look into this, I want something cheap but still safe, I'm always spending too much money on supplies. Sorry for the late reply also there are so many replies I missed since I last posted.

moparqueen

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on September 09, 2018, 03:05:39 AM
Great progress! My dream to one day find a 68 roller. Like fresh canvas  :2thumbs:

Thank you :)

moparqueen

Lennard

Good to see you're back in business. If you need inspiration or parts, next month (April 13th and 14th) is the Spring fling Mopar car show/swap meet in Van Nuys.