News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it worth adding a radiator shroud?

Started by triple_green, June 27, 2018, 09:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple_green

68 Charger, stock 383-4, auto. no A/C 22" radiator.

the car operates in a reasonable temperature range most of the time, but is sensitive to temperatures above about 75 degrees. The operating temperature seems increase almost one for one with the outside temperature. This is usually not a problem since I live in Wa state and the temp rarely gets into the high 80s for very long.

The engine has about 55K miles on it but the rebuild is 38 years old. I change the antifreeze ever other year and the car is driven about 2000+ years annually. There is no sign that the fan is not operating correctly.

The problem: when I drive the car in 80 degree + temperatures and am stuck in stopped or slow traffic it starts to get really hot. It has not boiled over but seems to be threatening to. Of course this is a problem when cruising in thick traffic on a hot summer night.

I have a stock 22" radiator that has been recored with the "international" high surface area core as recommended by my radiator guy.

Question: my cousin thinks that if I add a radiator shroud it will elimate/help this overheating? What do you guys think?
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

rsw0331usmc

According to everything I've read, yes. The shroud channels air and makes the radiator much more efficient than without it. I currently am shroudless and it was never an issue until I got stuck in a line and idled for half an hour. Alternately, I think an aluminum radiator would sufficiently dissipate heat to handle all shroudless conditions. I intend on switching to aluminum but I am going to install a shroud just because I am always poking around under the hood while it is running.

303 Mopar

A shroud can vastly improve the air flow. You should also check the type of water pump and t-stat you have as that can also effect your temp.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

ODZKing

Yes. Is it a cure-all, no. But every little bit helps and it definitely helps.  :yesnod:

Brass

I had the same problem.  440/auto and a 22" radiator.  It was mostly fine cruising or even idling.  But as I'm sure you know, in Seattle, you commonly crawl along between 0-20 mph with no end in sight.  On a warm day, the gauge would creep higher and higher, and I would become more and more anxious.  A shroud helped but not enough.  I eventually switched to a 26" aluminum radiator and shroud, with a Milodon pump and thermostat.  That solved the 440 temp problems.  Now, with a new 508, it still goes up to ~210 on hot days but seems to max out there.

RallyeMike

Yes it will make a real difference. May not need it all the time, but when you are crawling on a hot day it will bring peace of mind.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

triple_green

Thanks for the info.

Should I buy an OEM style shroud? or something else?

How do I attach it to my radiator? Are there clips or something I need to buy?

Thanks!

3x
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

ODZKing

Well, IMHO if you have a OEM radiator I'd go for a matching shroud. They are all out there. Some bolt right to the rad, others like on my 67 attach with clips like these pictured.
Either way I'd go with the correct one. Just my  :Twocents:

Brass

Quote from: triple_green on June 27, 2018, 03:31:58 PM
Thanks for the info.

Thanks!

3x

The first shroud I got was from Laysons.  It was overpriced and quickly warped.  The next one from Mancini was way better.  I would give them a call.

ODZKing

Quote from: Brass on June 28, 2018, 12:48:57 PM

The first shroud I got was from Laysons.  It was overpriced and quickly warped.  The next one from Mancini was way better.  I would give them a call.
Yes, I had an experience with one of those. The first match warped badly.
Call Bob at GlenRay 800.537.3775 or 715.842.3352. They have the good ones too.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Brass on June 28, 2018, 12:48:57 PM
Quote from: triple_green on June 27, 2018, 03:31:58 PM
Thanks for the info.

Thanks!

3x

I also have a Mancini shroud and like it, well made piece of equipment.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Challenger340

I dunno what to say here ?  and I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade or anything...
but,
I have a '69 R/T 440 Magnum, as in Original & UN-rebuilt, stock Carb/Dizzy, same 50 year old stock 22" Radiator/Water Pump/Pulleys, etc. NO A/C , NO fan shroud
Never overheats,
Never gets HOT,
and the last time I had it down in Las Vegas sitting in stop & go traffic in 90* Temperatures, all it did was climb slightly "higher" within the operating range ?

Like I said, NOT trying to rain on anybody's parade here....
just say'in....
if they CAN run and cool just fine on all the stock 50 year old stuff even today,(and they also did when they were new 50 years ago), what the heck is going that everyone's gotta spend HUNDREDS trying or THOUSANDS re-inventing the wheel ?

Tuning/Timing Curve/Fuel/ and how much of the Cylinder Wall you are exposing to "peak" Combustion Temps are ALL factors to overheating ?
Have you tried a 160* Thermostat and setting the Timing at factory Specs ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Challenger340 on June 30, 2018, 01:30:25 PM
I dunno what to say here ?  and I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade or anything...
but,
I have a '69 R/T 440 Magnum, as in Original & UN-rebuilt, stock Carb/Dizzy, same 50 year old stock 22" Radiator/Water Pump/Pulleys, etc. NO A/C , NO fan shroud
Never overheats,
Never gets HOT,
and the last time I had it down in Las Vegas sitting in stop & go traffic in 90* Temperatures, all it did was climb slightly "higher" within the operating range ?

Like I said, NOT trying to rain on anybody's parade here....
just say'in....
if they CAN run and cool just fine on all the stock 50 year old stuff even today,(and they also did when they were new 50 years ago), what the heck is going that everyone's gotta spend HUNDREDS trying or THOUSANDS re-inventing the wheel ?

Tuning/Timing Curve/Fuel/ and how much of the Cylinder Wall you are exposing to "peak" Combustion Temps are ALL factors to overheating ?
Have you tried a 160* Thermostat and setting the Timing at factory Specs ?

:cheers:

NHCharger

I would get a fan shroud. As far as attaching it all depends on what you have already set up in the car. I installed a aluminum radiator from Wizard in my clone, it came with the side flanges with the holes already drilled to attach the shroud. My 68 has a aluminum radiator I bought on EBay, no side flanges. I had to make some mounting brackets that attached to the radiator support.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Challenger340

Quote from: NHCharger on June 30, 2018, 07:30:49 PM
I would get a fan shroud. As far as attaching it all depends on what you have already set up in the car. I installed a aluminum radiator from Wizard in my clone, it came with the side flanges with the holes already drilled to attach the shroud. My 68 has a aluminum radiator I bought on EBay, no side flanges. I had to make some mounting brackets that attached to the radiator support.

Why not just try a 160* Thermostat for $7 first ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

73chgrSE

I was about to ask this same question before searching. I've been running without one for a really long time but I don't drive it very far and I don't sit in traffic. My original one was cracked and was hitting the fan blades so I took it off. I still have it but I don't think it can be repaired. Guess I'll look for an OEM one.

b5blue

A Okay 20 years no shroud but a big flex fan. Added A/C and had to change fan as the flex hit compressor. Now it needs all the help it can get and added a 14" pusher in front of condenser. (But it's cool inside  :coolgleamA:)