News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spectra Fuel sending unit filter falls off.

Started by BrugeeRT, June 28, 2018, 09:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrugeeRT

So I got a new fuel sending unit and installed it in my 68.  Three months later I get a pinhole in the gas tank and pull the tank to replace with a new one.  I went to pull the fairly new sending unit and the filter is laying in the bottom of the tank.  It looks like it was just a little bit of glue holding it on and that dissolved when sitting in gas.  Any ideas on how to keep it on?  I was thinking about epoxy but wasn't sure if gas would dissolve that.  Any ideas appreciated.
Mark

b5blue

Buy a new one they should fit snugly on the tube

BrugeeRT

It was a 3 month old one.   I called Spectra and they told me to go to the autopart store and buy some gasoline resistant glue.  I'll bet a lot of them do that and no one knows.
Mark

dual fours

It's a shame, Spectra is to be one of the best fuel tanks on the market (I have one), not counting Stainless Steel and they have a faulty sock/tube connection on their sending unit and they tell you to fix it. Is there no responsibility in the products one markets any more? I do not have a Spectra marketed fuel sending unit, lucky me I hope. The trouble you have to go though just to check other peoples work. Guess I should drain the tank and send a scope down the neck. :scope: or  :badidea:
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

ACUDANUT

Quote from: dual fours on June 30, 2018, 09:58:20 PM
It's a shame, Spectra is to be one of the best fuel tanks on the market (I have one), not counting Stainless Steel and they have a faulty sock/tube connection on their sending unit and they tell you to fix it. Is there no responsibility in the products one markets any more? I do not have a Spectra marketed fuel sending unit, lucky me I hope. The trouble you have to go though just to check other peoples work. Guess I should drain the tank and send a scope down the neck. :scope: or  :badidea:

Umm, he is not complaining about the fuel tank.  :shruggy:

b5blue

Sad truth is some parts are crap...nothing you can do but deal with it. Would I use a known problem part, no. Spectra has a good name however I've lost track and don't look back on screwed up stuff that's not right or whatever.
  Having been stuck with my Charger in the road for hours I wouldn't chance crap in carb shutting me down. 

BrugeeRT

It's a shame, Spectra is to be one of the best fuel tanks on the market (I have one), not counting Stainless Steel and they have a faulty sock/tube connection on their sending unit and they tell you to fix it. Is there no responsibility in the products one markets any more? I do not have a Spectra marketed fuel sending unit, lucky me I hope. The trouble you have to go though just to check other peoples work. Guess I should drain the tank and send a scope down the neck. :scope: or  :badide

I agree with you and I was a little surprised by their answer.  They said there was no known issues with that sending unit so I asked if I could flag my issue as a potential issue for them to keep tabs on and they gave me the runaround basically saying no.  I got a spectra fuel tank and it seems pretty good but no drain plug?  It seems the original had one, how come the aftermarket ones don't have one?
Mark

dual fours

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 01, 2018, 08:42:01 AM

Umm, he is not complaining about the fuel tank.  :shruggy:
Yes I know, he's complaining about the Spectra fuel sending unit's sock becoming disconnected. Wouldn't you think if Spectra tanks are good their sending units would be just as good and at least Spectra could stand behind what they sell.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

dual fours

Quote from: BrugeeRT on July 02, 2018, 08:21:54 PM
It's a shame, Spectra is to be one of the best fuel tanks on the market (I have one), not counting Stainless Steel and they have a faulty sock/tube connection on their sending unit and they tell you to fix it. Is there no responsibility in the products one markets any more? I do not have a Spectra marketed fuel sending unit, lucky me I hope. The trouble you have to go though just to check other peoples work. Guess I should drain the tank and send a scope down the neck. :scope: or  :badide

I agree with you and I was a little surprised by their answer.  They said there was no known issues with that sending unit so I asked if I could flag my issue as a potential issue for them to keep tabs on and they gave me the runaround basically saying no.  I got a spectra fuel tank and it seems pretty good but no drain plug?  It seems the original had one, how come the aftermarket ones don't have one?
I do not recall a drain valve on my old gas tank.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

resq302

Spectra / Quanta gas tanks have said for years that their repro belts don't stretch.  I know a lot of people who have had issues with them flying off, myself included !  I've called and complained only to get "you're the first person that has had that complaint" line where others have called and complained as well.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

ACUDANUT

Quote from: resq302 on July 04, 2018, 08:42:54 PM
Spectra / Quanta gas tanks have said for years that their repro belts don't stretch.  I know a lot of people who have had issues with them flying off, myself included !  I've called and complained only to get "you're the first person that has had that complaint" line where others have called and complained as well.

What is a repro belt ?  Have to do with a fuel tank ?  :shruggy:

resq302

Quanta repros the fan belts also. While they are Mopar certified, they are not 100% accurate. The big problem with the repro fan belts is that they stretch them fly off.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

dual fours

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 06, 2018, 03:49:32 PM
Quote from: resq302 on July 04, 2018, 08:42:54 PM
Spectra / Quanta gas tanks have said for years that their repro belts don't stretch.  I know a lot of people who have had issues with them flying off, myself included !  I've called and complained only to get "you're the first person that has had that complaint" line where others have called and complained as well.

What is a repro belt ?  Have to do with a fuel tank ?  :shruggy:
Both the belts and the tanks are marketed by Spectra, the same company that markets the fuel sending unit that the sending unit's sock falls off. But the company, Spectra, I read here says, The problems never happen to anyone else and they are not aware of any problems with their products, so just fix it yourself.  

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

resq302

True, but if they make an inferior product, they should know about it.  The fact that they keep claiming that "they know nothing about it" is awful !  Sounds typical of a big company who all they care about is getting your money and not what happens after the fact.  Should be interesting if I see their booth out at Carlisle what kind of response they will have to the sock issue.
Brian

71charger_fan

I put an OER sending unit from Classic Industries in my '71. A few days later, I found myself having to drop the tank. When I looked inside to see if I'd gotten all the fuel out, I saw that the filter had detached from the sending unit. I was not happy. I let the seller know. They said they'd credit my account for what I spent on the sending unit. They didn't. I haven't purchased anything from them since.

resq302

FYI- I talked to the people at Quanta on Sat t Carlisle and they claimed "I was the first person to tell them about the belt issue".   I figured as much as that's the same story I've gotten from them before in the past. Dad that this is what businesses have been reduced to.
Brian