News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Competition LEAF SPRING

Started by yxkullsgatan, July 01, 2018, 05:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yxkullsgatan

Hello,

Owner of a 1973 Dodge Charger Coupe 318 V-8 TorqueFlite (aut. 3) Landau

I'd like to change my Leaf Spring, mine are completely dead...

The Curb weight (without a driver) is 3,571 lbs, this is what I found on automobile-catalog.com, oldirde.com saying less (between 3395 and 3600). So do you think is enough to order the 3,600 lbs or should I go for 3,800 lbs ? Is there a less expensive place than Summit for this item ?

I would need 2 shackle sets as well, I saw on rock auto a cheaper price for ACDELCO 45G13007, is that ok ? Or I should get the "Mopar Performance Leaf Spring Shackle Sets" on Summit ?

Thanks guys

303 Mopar

www.espo.com has the best quality IMO.  Call them, they have everything you need and you can custom order your arch.  I would recommend +1-2"
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

c00nhunterjoe

Go with the heavier ones, and the topic says competition springs, yet you are talking about stock parts?

yxkullsgatan

yxkullsgatan

Thanks @c00nhunterjoe

Ok so it's better to take the heavier one, thanks for the information, What do you mean about "stock parts" you mean vintage ones ? I'm french that's why I don't know all about the special words for all the mechanics.

c00nhunterjoe

Heavier because if the car is 3600 without a driver or passengers, you will be weighted down. Competition as in caltracs or superstock vs origonal equipment.

375instroke

Quote from: 303 Mopar on July 01, 2018, 05:54:00 PM
www.espo.com has the best quality IMO.  Call them, they have everything you need and you can custom order your arch.  I would recommend +1-2"

I often see people recommend +1 or +2 over.  Why is this?  These are the original 383 springs, and my '69 R/T, with it's original springs, sits just as high.  +2 over this?

c00nhunterjoe

Because they dont make them like they used to. Lots of info about new ones sagging terrible after a year. Imo, run the origonals if they still maintain ride height unless you are going for a performance change. Even then, stock springs will take a charger well into the 10s in the 1/4 and rt packs will corner very nice paired with the right shocks and sway bars.

375instroke

So the "best quality, Espo," are still crap, and you need to buy overarched springs that'll settle into stick height in a year?  Lame.

c00nhunterjoe

Any brand new coil or leaf spring will temd to settle an inch roughly after about a years use. Some brands are worse. Depends on the quality of chinese recycled metal they used.

Brass

Quote from: 375instroke on July 11, 2018, 11:19:15 PM
So the "best quality, Espo," are still crap, and you need to buy overarched springs that'll settle into stick height in a year?  Lame.

I got my springs from Espo about 6 years ago with the stock arch.  They raised the rear so much more than my tired original springs that I took it back down with 1" lowering blocks.  Since then, sag has been minimal and almost undetectable.  If I were to guess, maybe ~1/2" to 3/4" and I am considering taking out the lowering blocks.  Overall, I am pleased with the quality.