News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does Anyone Offer 1/2 Ton, Crew Cab Pick Ups With 8' Beds?

Started by Old Moparz, July 02, 2018, 05:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

I know Dodge / Ram doesn't offer this configuration anymore, but are any of the other brands of pick up trucks being made now offered this way?   :shruggy:

Been looking online & it seems as though Toyota offers one, but all of the manufacturer's websites are vague & I don't feel like giving my contact info to talk to a salesperson. I am not buying anything right now, only doing some homework. My current truck is a Dodge 1500 Quad Cab with the 8' bed that runs good, has 106,000 miles but starting to rust on the wheel arches, the tail gate & the rear bumper. If I get the tail gate & bumper & get the guy who painted my Scamp to fix the wheel openings I can keep it presentable & not drive a rot box. I don't really need a 2500 or bigger or even a diesel with the towing I do. The one I have is adequate but it needs to last me a few more years while my kid is in college. After having lived with this handy combination of 4 doors & 8' behind them, I'd like to stay with it down the road.  :coolgleamA:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

JB400

Don't know about new trucks, but personally, I'd keep what you have and fix it.  It's hardly broke in mileage wise, and you already know all the quirks and service history with it.

TommyGun

Im a mechanic at a Toyota dealer and they do make a Tundra long box.  Its only available with the extended cab, though.  So it is still a four door pickup but the back seat area is not as big as the crew cab Tundra.

Aero426

At the price of late model trucks, I would fix what you have.     Or head south west and get one that's really nice.  

Aero426

The rust on my 2004 Ram bed sides isn't too bad yet.      I just put on the rear set of these two years ago.    Presto, no rust!

v=https://www.ebay.com/itm/02-08-Ram-1500-03-09-Ram-2500-3500-Smooth-Factory-Bolt-On-Style-Fender-Flares/371448812695?hash=item567c131497:g:NeQAAOSwIFtaAe8c

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on July 02, 2018, 05:45:10 PM
I know Dodge / Ram doesn't offer this configuration anymore, but are any of the other brands of pick up trucks being made now offered this way?   :shruggy:

Been looking online & it seems as though Toyota offers one, but all of the manufacturer's websites are vague & I don't feel like giving my contact info to talk to a salesperson. I am not buying anything right now, only doing some homework. My current truck is a Dodge 1500 Quad Cab with the 8' bed that runs good, has 106,000 miles but starting to rust on the wheel arches, the tail gate & the rear bumper. If I get the tail gate & bumper & get the guy who painted my Scamp to fix the wheel openings I can keep it presentable & not drive a rot box. I don't really need a 2500 or bigger or even a diesel with the towing I do. The one I have is adequate but it needs to last me a few more years while my kid is in college. After having lived with this handy combination of 4 doors & 8' behind them, I'd like to stay with it down the road.  :coolgleamA:
Your Old rusty and rotted  , this truck fits u perfectly   :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Kern Dog

106,000 miles..... :lol:
I'm at 308,000 and still running fine. You really are better off hanging onto that one.  :2thumbs:

69rtse4spd

draftingmonkey

The longest bed length I see on the Toyota site for the Tundra is 78.7", which is just a smidge over 6.5'. 
How they would get to the so-called 8' bed is as follows  --  78.7" bed length + 22.2" bed depth (tailgate height also)=100.9". There is your smidgen over 8' (96") bed length.  The width between the wheel wells is a 50" min so you would be OK there.
I agree with the others to fix up what you have. Probably be a lot less than the $33K min to buy a new Toyota and I bet you'll be happier to keep what you like in the long run.

Old Moparz

I'm not getting rid of it & I am going to get the rust taken care of before it gets worse by the end of this summer. I plan to keep it at least until my kid is done with college, but it'll be pushing 20 years old by then & probably won't be pretty. I'm just looking around now to see what's out there for when I have to replace it. The problem is only that I have to expect the unexpected & want to know what my options are when the time comes. I had always assumed that I'd be able to get another 1/2 ton crew cab with an 8' bed.  ::)

Here's an example of what I mean. My wife had a 2004 Mitsubishi SUV that ran perfect & had about 150,000 miles on it. Two years ago we put new tires & brakes on it, had an electrical gremlin tracked down & some front end work done in a 2 month span adding up to over $2000. It was going to become our kid's car when they got their driver's license & we'd have time to look for a new car for my wife. Since it was older vehicle we dropped the comprehensive insurance & only had liability.

Some a-hole turned directly in front of my wife & creamed it. The insurance company totaled it & my wife had to suddenly hunt for a replacement. Mitsubishi didn't make the same car anymore so now it was a mad rush to figure out what was available that would fill the void. I'd like to avoid that & with the price of pick up trucks costing twice as much now as what I got mine for, I may have to ride my bicycle.  :lol:
               Bob                

TommyGun

Just to clear up confusion, Tundras do in fact come with an 8 foot box.  However almost no one orders them that way new so finding a used one will be tricky.

RECHRGD

My 2004 4x4 Cummins just turned 108,000.  No rust at all and still looks good.  I'm 70 years old now, so I'll be close to 100 by the time it hits 300K.  I'm sure it will outlast me, so $60k to $70k for a new one ain't happening.....
13.53 @ 105.32

Old Moparz

Bob                

draftingmonkey

Quote from: TommyGun on July 07, 2018, 09:03:01 AM
Just to clear up confusion, Tundras do in fact come with an 8 foot box.  However almost no one orders them that way new so finding a used one will be tricky.
(Twilight Zone theme music playing) Looked all over the Toyota site on the 4th, Tundra especially, and no sign of an 8' bed. Looked again tonight and there it is as plain as day. Weird.