News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

22 or 24 foot enclosed trailer for a 1968 Charger

Started by krigel, July 03, 2018, 09:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krigel

Looking to purchase an enclosed trailer for my 1968. Is 22 feet enough? Is 24 worth it? Brands to stay away from/brands you like?

DixieRestoParts

I think 24' is a good size. Gives you some extra room for parts, luggage, etc. I have an 2008 Interstate brand (Loadrunner), had LOTS of trouble with it, poor dealer support. A buddy of mine bought one from South Georgia (I think Amish built?) from a small independent manfacturer/seller.  Very well built, better than my mine and was around $2500 cheaper if I remember.

Some suggestions:

1) Get the 16" wheels and tires. It will carry more load and potentially last longer than 15" tires. The trailer tires these days are junk. Most people I know change them about every 2 years to avoid problems.
2) I purchased an equalizer hitch and sway bar and found them well worth the money.
3) I also run load range E radial tires on my truck AND trailer, a little overkill, but I like it.
4) Get a drivers entry door so you can get in and out of the car easily once loaded.
5) I installed a winch, pretty handy little item.

Let us know what you ultimately choose. I'll probably buy another one in a year or so, I'm interested in what you find out there and like or don't like and why.

Good luck with it!!
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

69 OUR/TEA

Like Dixie said , def go 24 foot . I have an American Hauler Night Hawk 24 foot , reg axles , not the Dexter . 5k lb axles ( 12'' brakes ) , and also as Dixie said , I got the drivers side entry door , worth every penny . Bought it in 2010 brand new , a friend hooked me up with a dealer he buys all his landscape trailers , list was $6,500 , paid $5,800 . Thought was a good deal for a brand new enclosed . I don't use it a lot anymore , now just store a car inside .
I mounted a winch and battery in the "V" part of the nose , very useful in pulling in cars that don't run !!! Pulled it with my 2004 1500 Ram 4x4 with 3.92 gears . I did however install weight distribution hitch and sway control . The gas mileage sucked with the Hemi , but towed it fine as far as power goes ( the dry weight was 3350 ) plus the car . The brakes on the trailer were more than adequate to stop everything without hurting the truck .

Worth checking them out , American Hauler .

Challenger340

Quote from: DixieRestoParts on July 04, 2018, 07:49:40 AM
I think 24' is a good size. Gives you some extra room for parts, luggage, etc. I have an 2008 Interstate brand (Loadrunner), had LOTS of trouble with it, poor dealer support. A buddy of mine bought one from South Georgia (I think Amish built?) from a small independent manfacturer/seller.  Very well built, better than my mine and was around $2500 cheaper if I remember.

Some suggestions:

1) Get the 16" wheels and tires. It will carry more load and potentially last longer than 15" tires. The trailer tires these days are junk. Most people I know change them about every 2 years to avoid problems.
2) I purchased an equalizer hitch and sway bar and found them well worth the money.
3) I also run load range E radial tires on my truck AND trailer, a little overkill, but I like it.
4) Get a drivers entry door so you can get in and out of the car easily once loaded.
5) I installed a winch, pretty handy little item.

Let us know what you ultimately choose. I'll probably buy another one in a year or so, I'm interested in what you find out there and like or don't like and why.

Good luck with it!!

This is all really good and practical advice on Trailer.Truck setup  :2thumbs:
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Mike DC

QuoteThis is all really good and practical advice on Trailer.Truck setup  2thumbs

Seconded. 

krigel

Thanks for chiming in. Has anyone used Stealth Trailers before? I can get a 24 foot for a pretty decent price.

NHCharger

I have a 24' Haulmark with winch and equalizer hitch and sway bars. Nice set up.
The Stealth trailers are a really nice quality unit. If I was to buy a new trailer they would be at the top of my list.
Bakerhillpins (Bryan) just picked up a real nice 24' enclosed. Can't remember the brand. PM him for details
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

taxspeaker

24 foot only way to go. We had a 20' and it was tight in all areas. When it got stolen we replaced it with a 24 foot. Then it got stolen too. We replaced it with another 24 foot and bought a hitch lock AND one of those things that lock down the wheels- a boot thing with teeth, and no more stolen trailers. Some general comments:

We added a floor winch (removable) with 2 deep well marine batteries. We can move the winch from the enclosed trailer to an open trailer-excellent for dead cars. The winch has a 20' lead for remote operation if you are by your self and we can winch a car right up without a driver if needed.

We added ramps on each side just above the height of the wheel wells. It does away with the cost of the side door, makes tie downs a snap to fit under the car, and adds more storage-and if a wing car it still clears everything easily. We then put 2 12-volt LED light strips along the sides of the ramps to easily see everything but not get in the way.

We added 6 more D-rings by welding into the cross members for different tie down areas. We also added 4 E strips but have never used them.

We bought 2 sets of Mac's factory tie downs that they use to ship the cars new. They fit right in the holes already in the rear frame rails and in the front without worrying about axle rash. crawling under the car, messed up ratchet straps or any of that crap. We marked on the floor where to pull the front tires so that the weight is good and the straps fit without ever moving them.

In the V-nose we mounted on the wall an all-fire type fire extinguisher, hand towel bar, and 12 volt spotlight for night time stuff. We then bought a lightweight cheap aluminum roller base cabinet tool box and secured it, filling it will normal tools, some extra parts and fluids. We also mounted 2 movable 12 volt LED spots at the back beaver tail for night time loading. All the lights and spots run off of the deep well marine batteries, which we charge with a solar panel we mounted on the roof going through a 12-volt adapter trickle charger that turns off if the batteries are fully charged. We also mounted a 110 volt power strip on the wall and carry a 50' extension cord to charge batteries.

We don't think brand is important, but dual axles with electronic brakes are mandatory. We have not bought a load equalizer or stabilizer bar, but after reading the other comments I think we will.
Bob

bakerhillpins

Quote from: NHCharger on July 04, 2018, 05:05:05 PM
I have a 24' Haulmark with winch and equalizer hitch and sway bars. Nice set up.
The Stealth trailers are a really nice quality unit. If I was to buy a new trailer they would be at the top of my list.
Bakerhillpins (Bryan) just picked up a real nice 24' enclosed. Can't remember the brand. PM him for details

Here is an old thread that I was using when I was looking:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=64327.0

I need to update that thread as I ended up with a 24' Sure Trac, 10k, spring axles, winch plate, rear stabilizers, and escape hatch. New ran me just under $8400 IIRC.

I tow with my 14' RAM crew that I outfitted for towing and use a Weight distribution hitch.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Aero426

Quote from: krigel on July 04, 2018, 10:45:03 AM
Thanks for chiming in. Has anyone used Stealth Trailers before? I can get a 24 foot for a pretty decent price.

I have a 2015 Stealth 24 foot box.      No problems.    Hauls good.    I bought mine from Trailers Midwest in Elkhart Indiana.    

24 foot is a popular size.    You could certainly do it with a 22 foot.     With the V-nose, you gain a little extra room in the front for gear, etc.    

I would get the left side entry door.

gtx6970

I use a friends 22 foot Pace ( its probably 15 years old now ) Ive never had a problem , pulls great no issues .
Never tried it with a wing car so I cant speak for interior room around the nose . Normal B-body cars fit fine with plenty of room

I have always used either his 1 ton or my 3/4 ton truck. Not once have I ever had sway issues.  The truck pulling it makes a difference. So keep that in mind
Brakes on both axles are a must. quality tires are mandatory. especially with a good sidewall.

IMO the big side door isnt needed. To me its possibly another way to loose some integrity of the box and add another possible path for thieves to get in ( IMO )  . I pull every car in and out with a winch.

I know a guy who uses a 20' to haul his Challenger, ( I think his is a Haulmark ????? )
I think if  I were to buy one, I would go either 24 or possibly up to a 26' Never know when you need to get inside at a show during a downpour

Also I prefer a riveted side panel trailer. the idea of these glue on sides coming loose down the road worry me

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: taxspeaker on July 04, 2018, 08:38:15 PM
24 foot only way to go. We had a 20' and it was tight in all areas. When it got stolen we replaced it with a 24 foot. Then it got stolen too. We replaced it with another 24 foot and bought a hitch lock AND one of those things that lock down the wheels- a boot thing with teeth, and no more stolen trailers. Some general comments:

We added a floor winch (removable) with 2 deep well marine batteries. We can move the winch from the enclosed trailer to an open trailer-excellent for dead cars. The winch has a 20' lead for remote operation if you are by your self and we can winch a car right up without a driver if needed.

We added ramps on each side just above the height of the wheel wells. It does away with the cost of the side door, makes tie downs a snap to fit under the car, and adds more storage-and if a wing car it still clears everything easily. We then put 2 12-volt LED light strips along the sides of the ramps to easily see everything but not get in the way.

We added 6 more D-rings by welding into the cross members for different tie down areas. We also added 4 E strips but have never used them.

We bought 2 sets of Mac's factory tie downs that they use to ship the cars new. They fit right in the holes already in the rear frame rails and in the front without worrying about axle rash. crawling under the car, messed up ratchet straps or any of that crap. We marked on the floor where to pull the front tires so that the weight is good and the straps fit without ever moving them.

In the V-nose we mounted on the wall an all-fire type fire extinguisher, hand towel bar, and 12 volt spotlight for night time stuff. We then bought a lightweight cheap aluminum roller base cabinet tool box and secured it, filling it will normal tools, some extra parts and fluids. We also mounted 2 movable 12 volt LED spots at the back beaver tail for night time loading. All the lights and spots run off of the deep well marine batteries, which we charge with a solar panel we mounted on the roof going through a 12-volt adapter trickle charger that turns off if the batteries are fully charged. We also mounted a 110 volt power strip on the wall and carry a 50' extension cord to charge batteries.

We don't think brand is important, but dual axles with electronic brakes are mandatory. We have not bought a load equalizer or stabilizer bar, but after reading the other comments I think we will.
Bob

taxspeaker, you are the man! Love it !!
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

taxspeaker

Thanks Dixie-pictures during buildout and after completion with base led lights on

Mopar John

krigel,
Here are some things and I'll tell you why!
I have had a 24' box for years and a couple of years ago went to a 22' V nose.
I haul my 1970 GTX drag car and 1970 Superbird ( extra long due to nose cone).
Get the 5,000 LB axles with the torsion suspension and brakes on both axles!
If you have a brake issue hopefully it won't affect both axles and you can still stop it.
The torsion suspension adjusts better and doesn't leave all the weight on one wheel in akward positions.
The torsion axles last longer and have less maintenance issues.
Also try and get the smooth sides so you don't have screws that rust and stain the sides of the trailer!
A beaver tail door is nice for clearance getting in and out.
Just a few things that come to mind.
There is a member on the aero forum from Eac Claire, Wisconsin that sells these trailers.
His e-mail is amalcein@aol.com
MJ

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Mopar John on July 08, 2018, 03:02:41 PM
Get the 5,000 LB axles with the torsion suspension and brakes on both axles!
The torsion suspension adjusts better and doesn't leave all the weight on one wheel in akward positions.

I'd suggest 5k too.  However, I believe you have it backwards WRT load distribution. Dual spring axle trailers have a built-in weight equalizer allowing both axles to share the load in uneven conditions. Torsion axles don't have this and thus on torsion axles you can push all the weight onto one axle.

I can't find the pages that I found this on previously (when I did my research) but here are 2 pages that have good pro/con for the 2 axle types, the first mentioning the load distribution:
https://www.grandvilletrailer.net/blog/leaf-spring-vs-torsion-how-not-to-get-wrapped-around-the-axle/
http://lamartrailer.net/spring-vs-torsion-utility-trailer-axles-whats-the-big-deal/
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Aero426

The 5000 lb rated axles are a must with an enclosed.    You will find economy enclosed trailers sold with 3500 lb five lug axles.     By the time you put the car and your gear in there, you are going to be close to over weight.   As to leaf spring versus torsion axles,  the torsion axle will give a nice ride.   

tcs69rt

In 2006 I bought a 30' Team Spirit V-nose enclosed car trailer for $5995. It cuts the wind so I don't need an anti sway kit. It has the drivers side escape door. With the additional length I was able to put my 52 Panhead (Chopper) in the front with wheel brace at the V and still fit my 69 RT inside with a foot between them. Price the 30 footer versus the 24, just my 2 cents. TC
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

24' is probably right. Especially for such a long car as a Charger. 22' and you won't have much room on either end.  :Two cents:

I had a 28' and it was too long. Especially for a Lincoln Navigator to pull.

krigel

Thanks for all the input. I'm pretty much settled on a 24, and if I can get one with an extra V-nose, that would be great.

c00nhunterjoe

32 foot. The only way to travel. Fits the car, golf cart, 2 scooters, work bench, snapon tool box, generator and cooler of beer.

krigel

I ended up with a 24 foot Royal Trailer. They are built locally, and really good quality. I found a used one for a good price, and I'm happy with how it pulls, as well as how the car fits, with left over room for parts, winch, luggage, etc. For anyone else looking that has a B-body, I wouldn't go smaller than a 24 foot trailer.

6pkrtse

I have a 28' Trailer. Still has a 6' bench with vise & tool box mounted to it & I can fit my golf cart & my B or E Bodies with room to walk around in the front.

For theft:
I use the electric tongue as a anti-theft devise When I raise it up off of my truck I go all the way up & pull a hidden fuse inside that won't allow anyone to lower it back down onto their truck. I also have slide locks on both side of the rear inside of the ramp door with padlocks on the inside so even if someone was to cut off the padlocks on the rear on the outside they still cannot get in. I also use the usually tongue lock & also run chains thru the wheels with padlocks. Even if it only slows down the pro's by a few minutes, hopefully this keeps most from trying to steal it. Also slide on the sun covers to protect the tires from dry rot & hides the chains also.

I also use the remote control cordless winch to hold the side door closed from the inside. Just pull on the cable until there is tension on the door. I keep the remote stored externally & release the cable before opening the side door when I need to get in. Also always try to keep a spare vehicle parked in front of it when not in use.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

wingcar

So, would a 24 foot be enough length for a Daytona as well?   Thinking about perhaps going with an open trailer but if an enclosed one comes up at a good price..... :scratchchin:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

NHCharger

I have a 24' Haulmark enclosed that I haul my Daytona clone with. Plenty of room.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Birdflu

bakerhillpins

Quote from: NHCharger on August 02, 2018, 03:44:29 PM
I have a 24' Haulmark enclosed that I haul my Daytona clone with. Plenty of room.

Fits just fine..  :yesnod:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: Aero426 on July 05, 2018, 10:14:07 AM
Quote from: krigel on July 04, 2018, 10:45:03 AM

I have a 2015 Stealth 24 foot box.      No problems.    Hauls good.    I bought mine from Trailers Midwest in Elkhart Indiana.    

24 foot is a popular size.    You could certainly do it with a 22 foot.     With the V-nose, you gain a little extra room in the front for gear, etc.    

I would get the left side entry door.

I have had both bumper pulled with load levelers and goose neck.  I realize that most either do not want the cost, size or have the truck for it.  I get it.   I will share my opinion.   With a 5 figures car in a box... my baby I would not own a bumper pull personally again, unless small open 18'/20' deck trailer.   Which I do have open 18' (pair of 7k axles BTW, both axles brakes).  Other folks cars are in the 6 figures.  Aero's trailer here looks perfect if going bumper pull with load levelers, the side door at car's driver door is absolutely required regardless of trailer.  Honestly, the safety I gain with a dually (truck) and getting the load off the bumper and into the bed is just huge to me.  Go goose neck if you can and willing.  Brakes on both axles is a must regardless of trailers (cheap option really).   Good luck.

Trulyvintage

I have been pulling a trailer just about every day for the past (12) years ... :Twocents:

My latest custom enclosed car hauler is a 30 foot I picked up a few weeks ago .... :popcrn: