News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A/C &Heater Box Rebuild

Started by rikubot, July 06, 2018, 10:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

I recently pulled my heater box with the intent to rebuild and thought mayebe I could get some tips from the guys that have already done it or has links to some detailed threads.

I have a few questions right away. Other than the gasket kit, the cores seem to be a very expensive part of this job. Is it taboo to reuse to old ones in a job like this? Can I get mine tested? As far as I know, the heater core worked when pulled, but I'm not sure about the A/C.

The paint on the case is pretty tough in most places, but does have some scratches. I don't think I can spray a finish nearly as tough as this one. I can get pictures when I get home. Should I have it blasted and powder coated? It's worth noting that I don't make a whole lot of money, so this is a budget rebuild  :coolgleamA:

Thanks!
'69 Charger, 440/727

From memory you can rebuild it yourself for around $500- $700.

Any radiator shop should be able to test the heater core and AC evaporator. If the core is corroded however I would replace it as a leak at a later date is worse.

Use the fancy green viton orings in the heater tubes.

rikubot

I see. Where are you coming up with that figure? I could only think of $165 for the gasket kit, maybe $100 on paint and cleaners, and a few bucks to have the cores checked out. I'd like to have a better idea of what I'm in for haha
'69 Charger, 440/727

cdr

The heater core alone is 270.00 the heater valve that hooks to the core is 80.00
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

rikubot

Are you recommending that it's essential to replace these two? Or just the smart thing to do?
'69 Charger, 440/727

Bronzedodge

The valve and core are 49-50 ish years old.  If it's out, that would be the time to replace it.
Mopar forever!

cdr

Quote from: rikubot on July 08, 2018, 02:03:05 AM
Are you recommending that it's essential to replace these two? Or just the smart thing to do?

I already told you what happened to mine when I did not replace these two items :)
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

rikubot

Yeah, that sounds like a royal pain in the butt, too. I've really gotta figure it out. That price is way outta the budget but I can finish most of the box befor I have to make that descision. I'd hate to have to rebuild this damn thing again. I really appreciate the advice and you sharing your experience. For now I can get the case looking pretty and clean up all the other stuff. The vacuum actuators are looking pretty good and seem to work pretty well surprisingly.
'69 Charger, 440/727

Sixt8Chrgr

I recently restored by 69 Heater/AC box. This is what I would recommend. Buy the gasket insulation kit from Resto Rick or another supplier. You must replace your heater core or have the original rebuilt. If you buy a new heater core buy one from Original Air Group out of Tampa. There are repos on the market that are about 1/4" too tall and make closing up your box difficult. Regarding the evaporator, take it to a radiator shop and have them flush it out and check for leaks. You want to make sure that all of the oil is out of this part. They are not that expensive if you have to replace it. Take a lot of pictures of the original box before you take it apart. Those pictures will come in handy. Also make sure you own a Factory Service Manual. Section 24 is very detailed on on the AC box. Make sure your vacuum pods are all good. if one is bad after you install it that would suck because these things are not easy to reinstall. Two man job in my opinion. I got mine restored, installed and it works fine. I have to adjust the linkage for the defroster to properly work, which is covered in the FSM.
Good luck