News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

An Auto Metal Direct (AMD) factoid

Started by charger_fan_4ever, July 12, 2018, 10:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_fan_4ever

So my brother and I also own a 68 Pontiac Beaumont SD 396 car(pontiacs canadian equivilant of  SS396 chevelle) Its an original car running driving project. Pretty solid car. The factory quarters are crispy at the rear lips and previous work been done around window. We are opting to put on full quarters.

Everyone GM screams AMD. After installing full AMD 1/4's on my 70 charger and they were lets say medicore at best we decided to dig around see who else makes GM metal. Heard some talk on gm forums saying any AMD part where the part # starts with an X isn't made by amd.

We posted on AMD's facebook page asking if they indeed produce the 68 chevelle quarter panels as the part # starts with an X.

Their answer was "those are X brand. Not an AMD product."

Probably doesn't apply much with mopar parts as nobody made them before, but if your looking at metal for other brands this is food for thought.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on July 12, 2018, 10:19:32 AM
So my brother and I also own a 68 Pontiac Beaumont SD 396 car(pontiacs canadian equivilant of  SS396 chevelle) Its an original car running driving project. Pretty solid car. The factory quarters are crispy at the rear lips and previous work been done around window. We are opting to put on full quarters.

Everyone GM screams AMD. After installing full AMD 1/4's on my 70 charger and they were lets say medicore at best we decided to dig around see who else makes GM metal. Heard some talk on gm forums saying any AMD part where the part # starts with an X isn't made by amd.

We posted on AMD's facebook page asking if they indeed produce the 68 chevelle quarter panels as the part # starts with an X.

Probably doesn't apply much with mopar parts as nobody made them before, but if your looking at metal for other brands this is food for thought.

Clearly stated on their website.... old news :Twocents:

FYI, I'll take those "mediocre" panels any day of the week over big dollar NOS panels or no panels at all, maybe some of you guys weren't around/into Mopars "back in the day", but there was very little to be had from the factory, and absolutely nothing from the aftermarket...you've all been spoiled the last decade or so  :Twocents:

moparstuart

Quote from: DAY CLONA on July 12, 2018, 01:25:31 PM

FYI, I'll take those "mediocre" panels any day of the week over big dollar NOS panels or no panels at all, maybe some of you guys weren't around/into Mopars "back in the day", but there was very little to be had from the factory, and absolutely nothing from the aftermarket...you've all been spoiled the last decade or so  :Twocents:
my first quarter skins i bought for my 69 road runner around 1982  Were from a company called Cross Canada and they were flat as a board no body lines or curve to it at all   :eek2:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

charger_fan_4ever

FYI, I'll take those "mediocre" panels any day of the week over big dollar NOS panels or no panels at all, maybe some of you guys weren't around/into Mopars "back in the day", but there was very little to be had from the factory, and absolutely nothing from the aftermarket...you've all been spoiled the last decade or so  :Twocents:

Well look at that. I wonder who makes them then dyncorn maybe ?

$2000 for quarters that the marker hole is stamped crooked and not right size, deck filler side needing to be sliced and rear window corners square at best needing to be reworked totally. If i paid $380 a quarter like Gm metal i wouldn't be too put off, but that wasnt the case.

BrianShaughnessy

GM cars had established vendors like Goodmark long before AMD ever came into existance.    I don't know why GM folks would need to follow our lead now.  :shruggy:
My Chevelle friends buy lots of stuff from https://www.ss396.com/
  :Twocents:

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

hemi-hampton

I was buying 1/4 panels in the 1980's from Sherman & Associates or Motor City Originals long before any Goodmark or AMD existed. The quality today is better but only slightly in my opinion. LEON.

charger_fan_4ever

Goodmarks full skins are around $380 USD. MY brother has a steep shop discount. Would be paying less than that in canuck dollars even and delivered to the shop no charge. Goodmark it is.

hemi68charger

... maybe some of you guys weren't around/into Mopars "back in the day", but there was very little to be had from the factory, and absolutely nothing from the aftermarket...you've all been spoiled the last decade or so  :Twocents:

I remember those days well when I started driving in '80...

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

chargervert

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on July 16, 2018, 12:37:37 PM
Goodmarks full skins are around $380 USD. MY brother has a steep shop discount. Would be paying less than that in canuck dollars even and delivered to the shop no charge. Goodmark it is.

You do know that Mark,who owns AMD is the Mark in GoodMARK,right?

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: chargervert on August 02, 2018, 01:42:37 AM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on July 16, 2018, 12:37:37 PM

You do know that Mark,who owns AMD is the Mark in GoodMARK,right?

Nope another new factoid lol
So he owns both companies ?