News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge Charger vehicle weight over the years

Started by odcics2, February 09, 2018, 09:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

The stock HVAC evaporator and heater are still in the car. The Classic Auto Air  setup is smaller and lighter than the stock stuff.
My current WP housing is iron, the replacement is aluminum. I expect the swap should add no more than 25-30 lbs, keeping me still under 4000 lbs. I don't understand the principle of weighing a car with the driver. That must be a drag race thing, huh ? I'm not a drag race guy, I like road course driving, street cruising, etc.
I still think that 4250 without a driver is a real stretch...even a Hemi 4 speed car with a Dana isn't that heavy....is it ??

cdr

Weight with driver is a racing thing, not just Drag racing, Road course, Auto cross, Oval track have car weight rules with driver.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

68pplcharger

So the weighs are in.... Normal pig for a Mopar. Lol she weighed in at 4094 lbs using Rebco wheel scales. Even losing the weight with aluminum everything and fiberglass hood it's 55/45 front to rear

JR

Quote from: 68pplcharger on June 08, 2018, 09:42:40 AM
So the weighs are in.... Normal pig for a Mopar. Lol she weighed in at 4094 lbs using Rebco wheel scales. Even losing the weight with aluminum everything and fiberglass hood it's 55/45 front to rear

That F/R distribution is much better than I would have expected. What engine do you have?

Also, that's the weight with fuel but without driver, right?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Kern Dog

That is HEAVY! I was at 3940 with a full tank and without me in the car, 1970 Charger.

charge69

I have never really weighed my car on a certified scale but my title on my '69 R/T HEMI is 3575 lbs.  It has power steering, no power brakes, no A/C and is an automatic (727) .
I figure this is "dry" weight and fudged a little for shipping so I would guess 4000 lbs. with me in it.

68pplcharger

Well the roll cage, frame ties, ac, blower , stereo amp etc really add weight. Don't care it's stupid fast handles like a Vette.
Jr that is without driver and the motor is a modified 440. All aluminum except block

Yeah my uncle has a 70 bee basically factory that weighs 3875 with spare and jack

Kern Dog

I expected that mine would cross 4000 lbs since I have bigger torsion bars, front and rear sway bars, frame connectors, torque boxes, sound deadener and the bigger, wider wheels and tires.
The roll cage may be the difference between us, 68ppl. 150 lbs for a cage sound about right ?

68pplcharger

Yeah 150lbs is about right. I've also got front and rear sway bar, 1 1/4" front 7/8" rear heavy duty racing torsion bars, gussets all over the k frame(also completely seam welded) 2" tubing welded between the front sub frame as well as gussets for the shock towers and 1 3/4" roll bar tying the shock towers to the cage under the fender. Also cage tying the top of the shock towers to the top center of the firewall top side. This whole set up stiffened the weak point (original design) at the firewall. To say the least Ive added a ton of stiffening components to make this thing handle like it does. It handles better than my wife's BMW 135i with the M package

Also have the 11" wide rims in back and 9.5" in front. With all that rubber adding weight as well

RECHRGD

Weighed mine today.  With me in it and probably 50 pounds of stuff in the trunk, not including the big spare, it came in at 4040 pounds.  So without me or anything in the trunk other than the spare, the car weighed in at 3,790 pounds.  That's with bigger wheels and tires, 440 with aluminum heads and intake, aluminum radiator, added rear anti sway bar, larger torsion bars, 1 7/8" headers, full length 2 1/2" exhaust and a gear vendors OD hanging off the end of the 727 hooked to an aluminum driveshaft.  It had a half tank of gas also.  Lighter than I thought, so I guess all the aluminum goodies help......
13.53 @ 105.32

Kern Dog

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 21, 2018, 10:20:42 PM
The stock HVAC evaporator and heater are still in the car. The Classic Auto Air  setup is smaller and lighter than the stock stuff.

I am still dragging my ass on the changeover from the factory under dash unit to the aftermarket one. I have never considered how HUGE the stock one is! Holeeee Crap! I saw one at the Spring Fling  then a few more at the Mopar Alley show. I still have yet to lift or weigh one. I would guess the new one is half the weight because it is about half the size. I'd expect to have a HUGE increase in foot room in the right front!

odcics2

Quote from: Kern Dog on June 15, 2018, 01:56:39 AM

I am still dragging my ass on the changeover from the factory under dash unit to the aftermarket one. I have never considered how HUGE the stock one is! Holeeee Crap! I saw one at the Spring Fling  then a few more at the Mopar Alley show. I still have yet to lift or weigh one. I would guess the new one is half the weight because it is about half the size. I'd expect to have a HUGE increase in foot room in the right front!

First thing a serious racer dumps!  :coolgleamA:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

68pplcharger

Quote from: odcics2 on June 15, 2018, 05:47:35 AM
Quote from: Kern Dog on June 15, 2018, 01:56:39 AM

First thing a serious racer dumps!  :coolgleamA:

Definitely! in the old days I would have stripped the charger and cut out a bunch of metal as well as replaced metal doors, trunk lid with fiberglass. Removed the glass in place of Lexan. Then you realize this isn't all out competition where you are scrimping every pound and dollar to make it go faster to try and get the points lead. I don't have that kind of time and money. So build it basically stock throw a shitload of horsepower at it and handling technology and make it just as fun but drivable and safe. Hopefully get some horsepower numbers this year. It was built for about 1100hp (440CID with F1C Procharger and alcohol injection) that still puts me under 4 lbs/ HP. Even if the motor comes in under the target horsepower still around 4 lbs/HP. Super charger store guys are pretty good I'm sure the cam and blower boost are set correct for the motor set up I gave them. Long story short it seems faster than the road race car I built years ago that had a confirmed 4.3 lbs/hp. I Love that purple pig lol

RallyeMike

In the 80's I slowed down long enough to weigh my 74 440 Rallye with PS, PB, 5 college kids (including me), a trunk full of luggage, 1/2 tank of gas, and a few cases or brew beer and it came in at 4800lbs.

A great time was had by all  :icon_smile_big:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

DC69RT

Put mine over a weigh bridge today. Driving the car it feels heavy (not that it bothers me. You get old and the ride is more important than speed!) 4050 lbs, quarter tank of fuel no driver.
1970 Charger R/T 440, Auto, A/C, P/S, PB, PW, Cruise, Rear Demist, 6 Way Seat, Console, Disc Brakes, Front Bumperettes, 15x7 & 15x8 Rallyes, 245/60 & 295/50 T/A's, original polyglas/steel wheel spare, factory jack.
All original standard exhaust manifolds, cast intake, mufflers, copper radiator, RV2 A/C Compressor etc.

cdr

I just ran mine over Certified scales, was not sure of the old scales at Lone star Motorsports park, just the car, a518 trans,512 all alum except block, AC, Dana 60, glass hood, rack & pinion power steering, 2010 Challenger drag pack seats, full exhaust, alum driveshaft,Caltrac mono leafs & bars, Centerline wheels,Torqe boxes,frame connectors, BIG front & rear sway bars, full tank fuel, 3860# + me & my Pistola = 4050#
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr