News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vinyl top prep

Started by Moeggenpar, July 16, 2018, 07:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moeggenpar

What should be done before the new vinyl top goes on my 68?  Thanks for any info

Bronzedodge

Make sure the paint is cured.
Mopar forever!

JR

Agreed, I would want a couple of months of curing personally before I put the top on myself.

Aside from that, clean and degrease, then clean and degrease some more. Any pieces of trash will show up under the top.

Also, let the top sit outside in the sun a few hours before installing. It makes the material softer, stretchier, and easier to work with.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

charger Downunder

Shouldn't you also scuff up the paint where the top goes to help the glue stick. In other words take the smooth shiny surface off the paint.
[/quote]

JR

The old timer I worked for taught me not to bother scuffing the paint. He had been installing them for 30 plus years when I worked for him, so I trust his word.

The only time I would ever scuff the substrate, would be if you're applying the top directly over epoxy primer/sealer. I'd scuff the roof with 400-600 grit then. Otherwise, scuffing the paint isn't really necessary.

I can tell you we did my roof in 07, and I applied it directly over shiny paint.  No adhesion issues at all, over 10 years later.

Bronzedodge

Yes, don't scuff the shiny new paint.  Keep the metal sealed against the elements.

Beautiful 70 BTW!
Mopar forever!

green69rt

Let the top set for a few days to let the wrinkles relax, somewhere in the sun works if you can find a place.

I started by gluing the center of the top down first.

Find the centerline of the roof of the car and snap a chalk line down the middle.  Find the center of the vinyl material and snap it, measure between the seams .   Now when you glue down the top you just match the line on the car with the line on the vinyl and it should come out fairly straight.  Here's a link to my install that went well.  There are others you can search.

Oh, and I did not scuff.

Edit, mark the holes for the glass trim clips (see my thread) before you glue down the top or you might spend some time finding them afterward.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,130936.0.html

JR

Quote from: Bronzedodge on July 22, 2018, 03:52:45 AM
Yes, don't scuff the shiny new paint.  Keep the metal sealed against the elements.

Beautiful 70 BTW!

Thanks! :cheers: