News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Solid State Voltage Regulator

Started by THE COLONEL, July 17, 2018, 08:20:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE COLONEL

So, over the last few weeks, the lights on The Colonel have dimmed when hitting the brakes, and even they pulsate when sitting in park.  I have also lost my headlights for a few seconds while driving, but luckily they came back on.  With the electronic ignition, will the new Solid State regulator help that problem?  I am reading up on them online, but figured to get a first hand review on here also.  Has one had this problem and did this, and it fixed it?
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

csx4590

I had a problem with the stock type regulators going bad and the headlights would dim and the battery would die. I bought a solid state one from Tuff Stuff and the problem went away. Not the same exact problem you're having but it worked for me...

histoy

A solid state regulator should help at idle, but it shouldn't make a difference while driving, if the OEM one is working properly.  When I had a problem with my headlights, similar to what you described, I found that I had a dirty ground connection from the battery ground cable to the radiator support structure.  You might want to check yours to make sure it's clean and connected properly.

THE COLONEL

I bought the solid state regulator, and it seems that was the problem.  My lights no longer pulsate when in park, and dim just the slighest bit when I hit the brakes, but not even enough to notice on the road.
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

Highbanked Hauler

You might want to check the bulkhead connector coming into the car. Mine went out a few times then went out completely and it was the bulkhead connector had melted a small hole between two wires in the connector. Lucky I caught it before it caused a fire. :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser