News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wire Gutters/Wire Covers: AMD vs Alternatives

Started by TexasStroker, July 23, 2018, 01:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

Does anyone have any experience with these wire covers from AMD?

Auto Metal Direct Floor Wiring Covers 442-1466-S
http://www.autometaldirect.com/amd-floor-wiring-cover-set-66-70-dodge-plymouth-b-body-p-4529.html

I've finally started prepping to rewire the Charger and after pulling the rear seat I was getting the lamp cord speaker wires (100% serious there) and old Pioneer harness out of the way.  The last run was along the driver side and as I lifted up on the carpet the adhesive from the mat/padding was basically pulling select sections of the wire covers up with it.  Prior to this, I was unaware the car even had wire covers/gutters in the cabin.

The floor pan is solid and the area under the rear seat is really nice, but I guess over the years water must have gotten in and soaked down to the wire covers with the front section being in worse shape than the rear.  After a little research the new sets from AMD appeared. 

I'm curious how the wire covers are actually installed...are they tack welded, are there screws farther inboard I haven't gotten to, or are they just sat down in place and anchored with tabs?  $100 is a lot to throw down for some stamped steel, but I haven't rolled back the carpet and mapped out the floor pan contours just yet.

How is everyone handling the situation?  Picking up the new pieces, going without, or going with a cheaper alternative?  It seems like you could do a decent job with plastic gutters like the late models have and some braided wire loom, although I'm not sure of a source for the late model gutters.

Next chance I get I'll probably pull the front seats and examine it further...initial plan was to just pull back past the sill plates to remove the old wires and route the new ones...should have known to expect something else, lol.

Any insights or past experiences are appreciated.  I tried searching and came up empty so hopefully the Part Number and using gutter and cover will help this show up for others.  Thanks for any feedback!

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

green69rt

Just a couple of tips.  The wire covers are spot welded in and and the tabs go inboard the outboard edge just hangs free.  The covers from AMD come in two sections per side, I think the long piece goes in the back, short in front.  If you have yours you can just match them up.  As far as really needing them, I would bet a lot of unrestored cars have lost them over the years and have been that way for a long time.   Using some kind of flat conduit or even the wire without a cover would probably work just fine.  The carpet and padding will provide some protection.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

green69rt

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on July 23, 2018, 07:22:45 AM
They also support the carpet .

Just looked at my car and I can see how that is true.  The ledge that the wire covers lay on would be harder to cover neatly with carpet if the covers were not there.  Too many angles.

If the OP decides to get the covers go to this guy.  It'll cost less.

http://www.521restorations.com/index.pl?page=home

TexasStroker

Thanks for the info...yeah, the covers were right there inside the rocker so I could see them serving the support role well.  Looks  like the carpet/pad just rest there and then jump the rocker's lip to be held down by the sill plate.

I'll see how bad they are next chance I get...the LH Front was having sectioned chunks pull up with the carpet...rear seemed more in-tact.  I could probably bend some 18 Gauge and make my own.  I never knew the rear carpet trim piece existed either until it was shown on this site a few years ago. 

I was unable to find them on the 5221 resto site you linked...

Thanks again for the insights.

www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

green69rt

Quote from: TexasStroker on July 23, 2018, 02:09:25 PM
Thanks for the info...yeah, the covers were right there inside the rocker so I could see them serving the support role well.  Looks  like the carpet/pad just rest there and then jump the rocker's lip to be held down by the sill plate.

I'll see how bad they are next chance I get...the LH Front was having sectioned chunks pull up with the carpet...rear seemed more in-tact.  I could probably bend some 18 Gauge and make my own.  I never knew the rear carpet trim piece existed either until it was shown on this site a few years ago. 

I was unable to find them on the 5221 resto site you linked...

Thanks again for the insights.
Here you are,  look close to the bottom.  Still $99 but better than the AMD price.  If you call, Jeff might give you a better deal than what's posted.
http://www.521restorations.com/index.pl?page=bbody&sub1=Floor

TexasStroker

Cool, found them...thanks!

I'll try to assess the originals and take it from there.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Got home last night around 9 PM and checked things out...The Driver's Side Rear is solid...biggest issue is the driver's side front.  Passenger side seemed in decent shape.  I may hold off on the purchase and then if I wind up pulling the seats for wiring I'll look into making a replacement section for the driver front.  Only real plan was to simply route the wires....not get into a full floor board spruce up, lol.  May turn out that way, depends on my free time.  I believe anyone in a similar boat could cut some 18 Gauge sheet metal with tin snips and make a similar bend with the edge of a bench/table. 
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

B5 Charger

I've got several solid originals, spot welds drilled out and removed properly.  I'd sell you the ones you need so you don't have to buy a full AMD set.  Just let me know.   :cheers:

green69rt

Quote from: B5 Charger on August 25, 2018, 05:37:13 PM
I've got several solid originals, spot welds drilled out and removed properly.  I'd sell you the ones you need so you don't have to buy a full AMD set.  Just let me know.   :cheers:

:2thumbs:  Yeah, I find out about this guy!

TexasStroker

Quote from: B5 Charger on August 25, 2018, 05:37:13 PM

Thanks for the offer B5...once I get further into things I will keep it in mind!

Green69rt...that is usually how things go for me, lol.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

B5 Charger

Ok, just shout when you're ready.  Unless they sell at a swap meet I should still have them.

TexasStroker

Quote from: B5 Charger on September 02, 2018, 10:31:01 AM
Ok, just shout when you're ready.  Unless they sell at a swap meet I should still have them.

:2thumbs:
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!