DodgeCharger.com Forum
August 18, 2018, 12:45:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please remember: this is the place to discuss Chargers - NOT the place to discuss politics. Political posts will be locked or deleted at the Moderator's discretion.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the paint code for a Daytona wing in white  (Read 457 times)
odcics2
Old Timer

« on: July 26, 2018, 07:41:00 PM »

shruggy

Thanks.

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?
odcics2
Old Timer

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 06:31:55 AM »

W1, same as a body color??  shruggy

Daytona R/T SE
Old Timer

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 09:12:57 AM »

Assuming you want to match a Performance Car Graphics white stripe, Here is the info I got from Mike (Dayclona):

The PCG white decals are very "White"....best match is 1971 Dodge/Plymouth Brite White/Sno White  body code W3, in Dupont Centari line (Single stage) code 5262A, in the PPG 1971 factory color chart (single stage) PPG# is 2300, I usually shoot wings in single stage as it matches the sheen of the decal better, but if you want to switch/cross reference over to a BC/CC, which I've done on wings (I prefer Dupont Chroma Premier BC/CC), I reduce the clear coat with about 20-30% flattening agent to knock the high gloss off the clear,....always do a test spray out for color match before committing to the actual spray day...

I gave this info to my friend that painted my car, it's a perfect match. 2thumbs

It started out as a rusty, green '69 R/T SE.

Now, it's well on it's way to being a Daytona.

A fake Daytona, that is.
charger chris

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 09:33:03 AM »

Good info

i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone
odcics2
Old Timer

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 11:43:26 AM »

Assuming you want to match a Performance Car Graphics white stripe, Here is the info I got from Mike (Dayclona):

The PCG white decals are very "White"....best match is 1971 Dodge/Plymouth Brite White/Sno White  body code W3, in Dupont Centari line (Single stage) code 5262A, in the PPG 1971 factory color chart (single stage) PPG# is 2300, I usually shoot wings in single stage as it matches the sheen of the decal better, but if you want to switch/cross reference over to a BC/CC, which I've done on wings (I prefer Dupont Chroma Premier BC/CC), I reduce the clear coat with about 20-30% flattening agent to knock the high gloss off the clear,....always do a test spray out for color match before committing to the actual spray day...

I gave this info to my friend that painted my car, it's a perfect match. 2thumbs

Thanks for the info.   2thumbs

Curious - So, are the PCG decals the wrong shade of white? 

Daytona R/T SE
Old Timer

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 11:58:34 AM »

Thanks for the info.   2thumbs

I don't know about the accuracy of the PCG stripe color, Everything I've read says they are the best quality. I agree-very nice product, I wouldn't use anything else...and I'm one  picky son of a bitch.  Twocents

A fake Daytona, that is.
odcics2
Old Timer

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 12:10:20 PM »

I don't know about the accuracy of the PCG stripe color, Everything I've read says they are the best quality. I agree-very nice product, I wouldn't use anything else...and I'm one  picky son of a bitch.  Twocents

Again, thanks for your input!   cheers

Daytona R/T SE
Old Timer

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 12:32:57 PM »

Again, thanks for your input!   cheers

cheers

A fake Daytona, that is.
DAY CLONA
Old Timer

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 01:00:20 PM »

Greg,

The Tona' stripe decals from D.Patik/PPG are very very bright white, technically W1 WHITE is correct, but doing a wing in W1 mounted on a PPG decal, it looks like "coffee/beige" in contrast, the factory original stripe is slightly "off white", unfortunately all the aftermarket white Tona stripes are all too bright, if you were looking for "originality" your best off having a PPG stripe copied by a decal/sign shop that can locate/match mat'l to match a W1 spray out....personally I prefer the brighter white, on the flip side, the"red" Tona stripes from the various vendors vary from red to tomato in shade

still winging it at www.officialdayclona.com
6bblgt
Old Timer

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 03:58:37 PM »

I wonder if the "Corporate" colors listed on the bottom of the PPG chart are correct for RED & WHITE wings

2 whites (W1 & "corporate) & 4 reds (R4, R6, stripe & "corporate") shown on this chart

W1 does seem too "dirty" for the Daytona wing  shruggy

* chrysler_1969_dodge_ppg_color chart.jpg (207.6 KB, 778x1024 - viewed 222 times.)
odcics2
Old Timer

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 05:16:19 PM »

Another chart.

* 1969 dodge colors including daytona.jpg (118.77 KB, 607x783 - viewed 217 times.)

Mopar John
Old Timer

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 09:55:04 AM »

Greg,
 I am sorry for the delay in my response but I wanted to give accurate information on this.
Troy Angelly called me this morning and he found the cans with all the paint used on our Daytona restoration 10 years ago!
For the important information on the white stripe for the wing here is what he found:
Paint manufacturer: PPG
Paint type: DELSTAR enamel
Paint code: 2033 match to Chrysler W1 Alpine White
Troy informed me that since our Daytona was restored in 2008 that PPG has discontinued DELSTAR!
So if you need this paint start checking with shops that have mixing stations to get some before it's ALL gone!
MJ

Dave Kanofsky

WING IT ! !

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 11:48:13 AM »

I'm also late to the party, but anyway...

My painter took the stripe to the supply house and had them match the wing paint to the stripe.  He said it was mostly pure white with a tiny drop of blue in the mix.

My stripe is also a Performance Car Graphics piece that was installed in 2004 and still looks great.

CAUTION!  Wake Turbulence

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)
NHCharger
Supreme Commander
Old Timer

When setting goals avoid disappointment, aim low.

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 07:04:47 AM »

I ended up bringing the Daytona decal down to my paint supplier. He scanned the decal and the computer spit out the paint formula.

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone - former moneypit
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: