News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

edelbrock e street heads

Started by darkside, July 26, 2018, 08:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkside

I'm thinking about getting a set of these and was wondering do i need 75cc or the 84cc?
440 engine will have prob be arouind 9.7 compression with  custom grind 60303 voodoo cam.
they are priced right .$1,089 a set at jegs
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/cylinder-heads/chrysler/e-street-bb.shtml

c00nhunterjoe

Only reason to go e streets is for the small chamber. You cant say you have a 9.7 motor without knowing what heads are on it. So what pn pistons are in it, how much was your block decked, and what thickness or pn head gasket are you using?

Challenger340

Quote from: darkside on July 26, 2018, 08:57:41 PM
I'm thinking about getting a set of these and was wondering do i need 75cc or the 84cc?
440 engine will have prob be arouind 9.7 compression with  custom grind 60303 voodoo cam.
they are priced right .$1,089 a set at jegs
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/cylinder-heads/chrysler/e-street-bb.shtml

What are your goals ?
and as mentioned,
What PISTONS are in the Engine currently ? or, are you planning to use ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

darkside

will be using forged flattop pistons.prob around 9.5-9.7 will be goal with heads

darkside

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 26, 2018, 09:10:56 PM
Only reason to go e streets is for the small chamber. You cant say you have a 9.7 motor without knowing what heads are on it. So what pn pistons are in it, how much was your block decked, and what thickness or pn head gasket are you using?
engine had 346's on it and   is at the machine shop now, it was rebuilt  years ago so don't know if its been decked. It will be bored 40 or 60 not sure yet.

Challenger340

Quote from: darkside on July 27, 2018, 08:00:49 AM
will be using forged flattop pistons.prob around 9.5-9.7 will be goal with heads

We've tested Lots of 440's on the Dyno using the Lunati 60303 and OOTB E-Streets, different Intakes/Carbs, etc.  

Just so you are aware ?
It's "all done" just above 5,000 rpm, sometimes even 4,900 rpm.    I know... "but the Cam card says 6,200"     All that number is relates to potential valvetrain stability with correct springs/parts, etc., NOT where it makes power to in a given application !

And tightening the Cam's lsa will not help, the "303" is a 5,000 rpm Cam with E-Streets/Stealth's etc. on a 440.

timmycharger

Quote from: Challenger340 on July 27, 2018, 08:51:04 AM

We've tested Lots of 440's using the Lunati 60303 and OOTB E-Streets on the Dyno, different Intakes/Carbs, etc.   

Just so you are aware ?
It's "all done" just above 5,000 rpm, sometimes even 4,900 rpm.    I know... "but the Cam card says 6,200"     All that number is relates to potential valvetrain stability with correct springs/parts, etc., NOT where it makes power to in a given application !

And tightening the Cam's lsa will not help, it's a 5,000 rpm Cam with E-Streets/Stealth's etc. on a 440.

sorry for hijacking the thread, but what kind of power numbers have you personally seen with this cam in a 440? I know there are so many variables but is it capable of pushing a non stroked 440 to 500HP? any difference with Eddy RPMs vs E street?

c00nhunterjoe

This exact statement gets so many people into trouble. There is a huge difference if you run an 88cc head with a .040 gasket vs a 78cc head and a .020 gasket and we havnt even talked about how many forged flat top pistons there are. If you are not careful, you will end up with a 7.5:1 boat anchor despite being told you bought a 9.7 piston. This is why we keep asking for the pn piston.

darkside

We've tested Lots of 440's on the Dyno using the Lunati 60303 and OOTB E-Streets, different Intakes/Carbs, etc.  

Just so you are aware ?
It's "all done" just above 5,000 rpm, sometimes even 4,900 rpm.    I know... "but the Cam card says 6,200"     All that number is relates to potential valvetrain stability with correct springs/parts, etc., NOT where it makes power to in a given application !

And tightening the Cam's lsa will not help, the "303" is a 5,000 rpm Cam with E-Streets/Stealth's etc. on a 440.

So should i go to rpm heads instead? i custom ordered the cam with a 108 lsa so it would have more chop to it.

Challenger340

sorry for hijacking the thread, but what kind of power numbers have you personally seen with this cam in a 440? I know there are so many variables but is it capable of pushing a non stroked 440 to 500HP? any difference with Eddy RPMs vs E street?
[/quote]

First off, if we are talking "OOTB" Heads ? it is important to realize from a Flow perspective(power potential) the RPM and the E-Streets are the same Head !. The price point difference is strictly confined to the parts quality used therein between the 2, that's it... that's all.
OOTB, they FLOW the same !
Go to Eddy's website.... even Edelbrock themselves show exactly the same Flow for the E-Street as the rpm Head (albeit their numbers are higher than anyone else gets anyways)

And therein, if we are talking "OOTB" either E-Street or RPM's ?   NO, we have not seen "500" hp out of the Lunati 303, best of my memory would be 480-490'ish with good well matched induction.
NOT saying it couldn't be done(500hp) using the 303,
just that IMO, it would take some work in the Eddy's using the "303".... at which point when doing the work there are far better "500 hp" Cams to choose from ?

darkside

should i go to rpm or steath heads instead for rpm range and what cc?  i custom ordered the cam with a 108 lsa so it would sound  more aggressive.

Challenger340

Quote from: darkside on July 27, 2018, 10:04:37 AM

Just so you are aware ?

So should i go to rpm heads instead? i custom ordered the cam with a 108 lsa so it would have more chop to it.

rpm's Flow exactly the same as the E-Streets, go check the edelbrock website for yourself, so NO difference. (albeit, there numbers are quite inflated from what myself and others see on our Flow Benches)

Again here,
what the heck are you trying to do for "goals" ?

Did you custom grind the 108 LSA for more rumpity bumpity sound ?  OK, fair enough.... I just wanted to make sure you knew that ain't a 6,000 rpm Cam, NOT even close with OOTB Eddy's.

Challenger340

Quote from: darkside on July 27, 2018, 10:10:05 AM
should i go to rpm or steath heads instead for rpm range and what cc?  i custom ordered the cam with a 108 lsa so it would sound  more aggressive.

WHAT rpm are you trying to make power to with the "108 LSA" Lunati 303 ?

darkside

Will be  a 4 speed  hot street motor , engine will never be run over 5,800-6000 rmp's.
prob run rpm or sd intake

timmycharger

Quote from: Challenger340 on July 27, 2018, 10:07:08 AM

First off, if we are talking "OOTB" Heads ? it is important to realize from a Flow perspective(power potential) the RPM and the E-Streets are the same Head !. The price point difference is strictly confined to the parts quality used therein between the 2, that's it... that's all.
Go to Eddy's website.... even Edelbrock themselves show exactly the same Flow for the E-Street as the rpm Head (albeit their numbers are higher than anyone else gets anyways)

And therein, if we are talking "OOTB" either E-Street or RPM's ?   NO, we have not seen "500" hp out of the Lunati 303, best of my memory would be 480-490'ish with good well matched induction.
just that IMO, it would take some work in the Eddy's using the "303".... at which point when doing the work there are far better "500 hp" Cams to choose from ?
[/quote]

Thank you, appreciate your feedback, great info as usual. I was thinking OOB heads.

apples vs. oranges but a member on this forum was able to achieve over 500HP with that cam, but his engine build was different. 

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=52477.0;all

Challenger340

Quote from: darkside on July 27, 2018, 10:20:46 AM
Will be  a 4 speed  hot street motor , engine will never be run over 5,800-6000 rmp's.

As long as you know the higher you rev past about 5,200 rpm using OOTB Eddy's and the 303 ? in any gear ?    the slower you are going.

Look, my apologies here, no mileage in this for me ?
But OOTB Eddy's and a Lunati 303 Cam is NOT anywhere even close to a 6K rpm Engine, unless you just wanna make "noise" and go slow ?  Better off to shift @ 5,200 rpm and work off the Torque curve.

darkside

heres a dyno youtube video of that cam i seen .click on show more info and it tells his specs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBUHgw9u0gw

c00nhunterjoe

What gears will be behind the 4 speed?

darkside

Quote from: Challenger340 on July 27, 2018, 10:28:25 AM

As long as you know the higher you rev past about 5,200 rpm using OOTB Eddy's and the 303 ? in any gear ?    the slower you are going.

But OOTB Eddy's and a Lunati 303 Cam is NOT anywhere even close to a 6K rpm Engine, unless you just wanna make "noise" and go slow ?  Better off to shift @ 5,200 rpm and work off the Torque curve.

would stealth heads be a better bet ?

darkside

Challenger340

Quote from: timmycharger on July 27, 2018, 10:25:14 AM

And therein, if we are talking "OOTB" either E-Street or RPM's ?   NO, we have not seen "500" hp out of the Lunati 303, best of my memory would be 480-490'ish with good well matched induction.

Thank you, appreciate your feedback, great info as usual. I was thinking OOB heads.

apples vs. oranges but a member on this forum was able to achieve over 500HP with that cam, but his engine build was different. 

[/quote]

Lots of cfm involved with that six-pack setup ?  and I am kinda "curious" around the 572 Ft/Lbs he claims as it relates to that DYNO and the program factors it's using ?

Is that a "Land & Sea" DYNO & Program ?

Apologies here, I am just not all that familiar with anything but the SuperFlow or Stuska Dyno Screens and numbers ?

Challenger340

Quote from: darkside on July 27, 2018, 10:31:31 AM
Quote from: Challenger340 on July 27, 2018, 10:28:25 AM

would stealth heads be a better bet ?

Nope, pretty much same/same OOTB.

Challenger340

Quote from: darkside on July 27, 2018, 10:32:43 AM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 27, 2018, 10:30:05 AM

thinking 355 gears

Just use careful Piston selection to get an actual Compression Ratio(NOT Theoretical), like measure & CC things, use the E-Streets OOTB with your 108 lsa 303 Cam, and enjoy the Engine !
It'll go like a scalped ape, Torque up the ying-yang....
But like I said,
just so long as you know that rev'ing it to 6,000 rpm is a waste of time no more than "noise" much past low 5,000's ?

timmycharger

Quote from: Challenger340 on July 27, 2018, 10:51:23 AM
Quote from: timmycharger on July 27, 2018, 10:25:14 AM

Lots of cfm involved with that six-pack setup ?  and I am kinda "curious" around the 572 Ft/Lbs he claims as it relates to that DYNO and the program factors it's using ?

Is that a "Land & Sea" DYNO & Program ?

Apologies here, I am just not all that familiar with anything but the SuperFlow or Stuska Dyno Screens and numbers ?
[/quote]

No worries, I just thought it was interesting, I don't have any more details on his build or what dyno was used, I found the thread in a search as I have the same cam and Eddy Head p/n he used along with a modified sixpack like he has.

:cheers:

darkside

Quote from: Challenger340 on July 27, 2018, 11:11:29 AM
Quote from: darkside on July 27, 2018, 10:32:43 AM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 27, 2018, 10:30:05 AM

thinking 355 gears

Just use careful Piston selection to get an actual Compression Ratio(NOT Theoretical), like measure & CC things, use the E-Streets OOTB with your 108 lsa 303 Cam, and enjoy the Engine !
It'll go like a scalped ape, Torque up the ying-yang....
But like I said,
just so long as you know that rev'ing it to 6,000 rpm is a waste of time no more than "noise" much past low 5,000's ?
thanks for the info.

BSB67

If it were mine, I'd put CR at 10.2 or 3, good quench, go with a slower ramp cam in the 230-234 intake duration in on a 112 ° and installed at 110° or 112°.  That would be a bunch of fun.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

bee1971

383 / 432 Stroker - 440 Source

E Street 75 CC Heads

Pistons .015 In The Hole - 10.5 Compression
195 PSI Cold Cranking Compression On All Eight

Comp Cams XE 275 HL Installed Straight Up/Dot To Dot
Howard's Cam Billet Timing Chain Set 9 Way

On The Street 3:91 Gears / 275 /60 - 15 Tires

FUN  :2thumbs:

darkside

What rocker arms would be a good choice to run with these heads with no modifications.
Will my stock ones work fine or do i need roller rockers ?

c00nhunterjoe