News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need solution for paint issues - 50 years in the making

Started by Iowa_Mopar, July 29, 2018, 10:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iowa_Mopar

68 Bronze Charger that has been sitting for 25+ years.  I have areas of faded paint. I'm inexperienced on this matter.  On the hood I worked an area with rubbing compound, then polishing compound, by hand.  I don't know if I'm not being aggressive enough, but don't want to blow through the paint.

Iowa_Mopar

Should / would this resolve the problem. Service manual recommendation for light scratch's, but I'm a bit leery of using mineral sprits or kerosene.

hemi-hampton

If it's factory original paint or cheaper repaint from old days most likely it's a single stage paint with no clear. You can easily wet sand & rub a single stage paint if it's a solid color but you don't want to sand then rub a metallic single stage paint. You can lightly rub a metallic single stage but to much rubbing will result in a discolored or lighter looking paint like you mentioned on the faded paint. If it's base coat clear just sand & rub away. How do you know? if you rub or sand does it have the paint color on pad or sand paper? if so it's single stage. LEON.

Iowa_Mopar

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 29, 2018, 02:25:48 PM
If it's factory original paint or cheaper repaint from old days most likely it's a single stage paint with no clear. You can easily wet sand & rub a single stage paint if it's a solid color but you don't want to sand then rub a metallic single stage paint. You can lightly rub a metallic single stage but to much rubbing will result in a discolored or lighter looking paint like you mentioned on the faded paint. If it's base coat clear just sand & rub away. How do you know? if you rub or sand does it have the paint color on pad or sand paper? if so it's single stage. LEON.

Thanks Leon.  It's the original factory paint.  Yes whenI used polishing compound the paint color did transfer to the pad.

hemi-hampton

The Factory only used like 2 coats of Acrylic Enamel (single stage) so it's a thin coat. Rubbing directly on top of it to hard & to much will remove the paint along with the metallic in the paint & usually discolor it by blotching & steaking it & getting lighter until you can go right threw it. Not recommended. LEON.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Iowa_Mopar

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Iowa_Mopar on July 30, 2018, 06:26:51 PM
nothing broken..

Ok. I was just curious cause there was recently a bronze 68 from here in Iowa on eBay with 2 broken t bars. Thought maybe this was it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Iowa_Mopar

hemi-hampton

Cool, I rubbed my original paint on my 70 Charger & had to take it easy. Nothing like when I had to block wetsand the paint starting with 600 grit on the Auto show cars I did for Chrysler. LEON.

Troy

Wow! That looks good. My turquoise 68 Charger had spots and I never did get them out.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.