News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sheet metal question - Galvanized?

Started by 69fourspd, May 02, 2006, 12:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69fourspd

I need a little bit of sheet metal for my 69 charger, and would prefer to use a new straight piece instead of going to the junk yard to cut up a section of an old junker.  I have read 18 gauge, but haven't seen much about a new galvanized panel.  Here is a link to Eastwoods site.  http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=10438&keyword=metal+repair+panels

Would the galvanized work out well?  Newer cars have galvanized parts right?  will this be a problem welding in? Any thoughts would be helpful. 

Thanks!

Todd Wilson

I am not a professional body guy but I would say no to the galvanzied.   2 reason................. #1  welding galvanized is dangerous. The coating will produce a toxic gas when burnt during the welding process. You breath it in and get sick.  I also wonder how well primers and paints would stick to galvanized metal. Would paint companies guarantee their products on the Galv. sheet metal.   Maybe one of the pro's here can fill us in more on this end of it.

Todd

69fourspd

Todd - Thanks for the reply and I agree with both.  I wondered the same thing about the paint adhesion and I also read sharpspikes post about the health risks.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,2929.0.html

I do like the fact that this board looks out for the members and not just their cars!

Shakey

Quote from: Todd Wilson on May 02, 2006, 12:51:16 AM
I am not a professional body guy but I would say no to the galvanzied.   2 reason................. #1  welding galvanized is dangerous. The coating will produce a toxic gas when burnt during the welding process. You breath it in and get sick.  I also wonder how well primers and paints would stick to galvanized metal. Would paint companies guarantee their products on the Galv. sheet metal.   Maybe one of the pro's here can fill us in more on this end of it.

Todd

Also - once you mess with the galvanized finish, it leaves it prone to rust.

AdamMopar

I used galvanized sheets because that is about all I seem to be able to get.  Grind of the galvanized coating when I start making a patch.

Adam

69fourspd

I found a local body shop supply company who carries flat stock.  Seems like an easier solution than grinding/sanding the finish, ruining my lungs from welding...........  ;)

Thanks guys. 

Blown70

Quote from: 69fourspd on May 02, 2006, 10:27:40 AM
I found a local body shop supply company who carries flat stock.  Seems like an easier solution than grinding/sanding the finish, ruining my lungs from welding...........  ;)

Thanks guys. 

HEHEHEHE I got a 4x8 sheet free.  Most metal houses will let you buy.  Mine was 20 Ga....

Tom

kab69440

As long as the zinc is ground off anywhere you intend to weld, you will be OK. MiGs do not like zinc at all. It causes bubbles to form in the bead, which results in a weak joint.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

zagnut

I am a autobody tech and useing galvanized sheet metal is fine . todays cars are all galvanized steal ,IT has properties to make the steel last longer and corode less. As far as welding it, a mask should be worn but i never wear one and iv been welding for 20 years.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 69fourspd on May 02, 2006, 12:47:14 AM
I need a little bit of sheet metal for my 69 charger, and would prefer to use a new straight piece instead of going to the junk yard to cut up a section of an old junker.  I have read 18 gauge, but haven't seen much about a new galvanized panel.  Here is a link to Eastwoods site.  http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=10438&keyword=metal+repair+panels

Would the galvanized work out well?  Newer cars have galvanized parts right?  will this be a problem welding in? Any thoughts would be helpful. 

Thanks!

I would NOT use the galvanized steel for a patch panel - It's toxic, ( the guys at work wear helmets with an outside air supply when they weld it) it's harder to weld, tougher to paint, overall you're just making things harder for yourself. I use 18 gauge cold rolled steel when I make a patch panel, I've also used 20 gauge CRS several times, it's just a little thinner.

Go to your local (non heating A/C) sheet metal shop and ask for some 18 and 20 gauge crs off-fall, where I work we usually just give it away if the person only wants a few small pieces, hell our scrap dumpsters are over-flowing with the stuff ::)

mopar_madman

Most hardware stores by me carry flat sheet metal in various gauges. Menards, Sears Hardware and Home Depot have it.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger