News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electrical question

Started by 400/6/PAC, July 19, 2018, 07:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

400/6/PAC

am having problems with My battery.
I disconnected the positive and negative cables from the battery and ohm'ed out the two cable connections to the battery, They do ohm out.
This seems like a direct short to Me but the lights on the car have an intentional direct short, that's how the lights light up.
Should I be reading ohm's from My positive and negative cable connections that go to the battery???
Thanks for Your help.

c00nhunterjoe

What are you trying to troubleshoot.

Nacho-RT74

nor the headlights or anything of the headlights system untill you turn on the switch BUT dome light if door is open.

Nothing on car must draw voltage ( so then, get an ohm reading ) BUT clock and that´s just an impulse every minute or so. Modern stereos could get some too for the memory, if your car got one.

Are you making the test with doors open? trunk ? Trunk light is a mercury tilt switch built into socket... maybe out of adjustment?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

John_Kunkel

Yeah, if you have any component(s) in the car with a parasitic draw there will be continuity between the battery cables.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

400/6/PAC

I was testing with nothing on, No lights or stereo.

70 sublime

Quote from: 400/6/PAC on July 20, 2018, 12:42:40 PM
I was testing with nothing on, No lights or stereo.

If your stereo is a newer set up it will draw power when not on for the station and clock memory
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

John_Kunkel

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 20, 2018, 02:35:46 PM

If your stereo is a newer set up it will draw power when not on for the station and clock memory

AKA parasitic draw.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

krops cars

What I do when I look for a draw. I leave the positive hooked up. Un hook negative. With a 12 volt test light connect it from the battery neg to the neg cable. If there is a draw it will light up. Test with it hooked up open door. Light will light up. With some computerized cars there will be a very dim light. That is draws from stereos and computer. Now if yours is lite up bright start pulling fuses. This will get you on the right track for trouble shooting.

c00nhunterjoe

Disconnect the negative and hook your multimeter up in series set to the 10 amp setting. Any more the 50 milliamps (.05) on the meter is a draw that is excessive for modern electronics. In a 69 charger it should be 0 unless your clock is still working but even then it may only be .01. If you have a reading it will be easy to test as there are only a handfull of fuses in the fuse box. Most likely culprit would be an alternator if there is actually a draw.

400/6/PAC

You Guy's are awesome .
I did the parasitic draw test on the negative side and was showing 298 MA.
I pulled the fusses one at a time and on the fuse to My dome light it went to almost zero, about 4 MA
I found a bad wire with the insulation gone to the dome light.
I repaired the wire and so far so good, My battery is holding charge
Thanks to all of You for Your help.

PS
I never knew about a parasitic draw test or how to do it until You Guy's helped Me.
:2thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

gtx6970

Quote from: 400/6/PAC on July 24, 2018, 10:20:55 PM
You Guy's are awesome .
I did the parasitic draw test on the negative side and was showing 298 MA.
I pulled the fusses one at a time and on the fuse to My dome light it went to almost zero, about 4 MA
I found a bad wire with the insulation gone to the dome light.
I repaired the wire and so far so good, My battery is holding charge
Thanks to all of You for Your help.

PS
I never knew about a parasitic draw test or how to do it until You Guy's helped Me.
:2thumbs:

On the yellow or pink wire?

yellow is ground circuit and if shorted with keep the light on causing battery drain

The pink wire is B+ side and if bare it will be a dead short to ground and blow fuses