News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cluster Lense Polishing

Started by MxRacer855, July 31, 2018, 11:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxRacer855

Hey everyone!

I'm rebuilding my cluster and am pretty much finished outside of restoring the lease.

I have enough minor scuffs and scratches in it that it would be a shame to reuse it in the condition it's in.

Has anyone buffed or polished their plastic to get it clear again? Like one of those headlight kits they sell?

Thanks

Jeff

WHITE AND RED 69

I used a Meguiar's plastic polish and had pretty good results. Won't get rid of the big scratches but any minor ones are now gone.

Here's some photos of how mine turned out on a Duster I'm working on. Not the best photos but it did clean it up. Could barely read the odometer and now its totally visible. Not bad for a $6 bottle of polish and a little elbow grease. 
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Nacho-RT74

I have used toothpaste with success on all plastic parts.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TexasStroker

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on July 31, 2018, 03:40:27 PM
I used a Meguiar's plastic polish and had pretty good results. Won't get rid of the big scratches but any minor ones are now gone.

Here's some photos of how mine turned out on a Duster I'm working on. Not the best photos but it did clean it up. Could barely read the odometer and now its totally visible. Not bad for a $6 bottle of polish and a little elbow grease. 

Yep, definitely give the polish a go...usually turns out better than expected.  I think I used Meguiar's on the Charger's lens and it came out great.

White and Red, is that console in the Duster out of a late model Mopar?  Looks like a pretty good fit!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: TexasStroker on August 04, 2018, 01:49:50 AM

White and Red, is that console in the Duster out of a late model Mopar?  Looks like a pretty good fit!

Yup. It is out of a 2017 Challenger, couldn't bring myself to pay the outrageous prices for a stock console and this one worked out great. Just needed to hack out some of the bottom plastic that held the heater control wiring harness and it fit the tunnel almost perfectly. I'm also putting my 3 Speedhut aux gauges where the heater controls were so it should look pretty good once it is finished.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

MxRacer855

Thanks for the responses guys! I tried both toothpaste and Meguiar's and got similar results after a lot of TLC! The lense came out much better. I'll get pictures posted when I have a free second.

Thanks for the responses!

Nacho-RT74

I think toothpaste is cheaper and allways available at any home LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TexasStroker

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on August 06, 2018, 12:04:10 AM
Quote from: TexasStroker on August 04, 2018, 01:49:50 AM

White and Red, is that console in the Duster out of a late model Mopar?  Looks like a pretty good fit!

Yup. It is out of a 2017 Challenger, couldn't bring myself to pay the outrageous prices for a stock console and this one worked out great. Just needed to hack out some of the bottom plastic that held the heater control wiring harness and it fit the tunnel almost perfectly. I'm also putting my 3 Speedhut aux gauges where the heater controls were so it should look pretty good once it is finished.

Nice!  I always thought the console out of my Mopar 10 would fit nicely for the Charger and Duster...biggest issue is just the B&M shifters in each one.  That will look good with the gauge trio...you'll have to post pics when you get it done!

Also, glad the polish worked out well.  I may try toothpaste just to say I did on the next fogged over lens.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!