News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Not downshifting to 1st at stop.

Started by Bronzedodge, July 31, 2018, 08:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronzedodge

Help transmission experts! - This is a 727 behind a relatively stock 69 383 4 bbl.  My line pressure is 54 psi at just under 1000 rpm, rises to 88 with the throttle lever fully rearward.  The governor pressure at idle, in drive  wheels stopped is 9 psi.  Too high.  What do I do next - remove the extension housing?  Check the position of the governor at rest?  It started after driving about 100 miles to Carlisle the other week.
Mopar forever!

c00nhunterjoe

John_Kunkel

Definitely a governor problem; remove the tail and check the governor valve for freedom of movement or, better yet, replace the governor.

On rare occasions, worn governor sealing rings can cause leakage that will maintain governor pressure at a standstill but this usually also causes other problems like delayed upshifts or uncommanded downshifts.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Bronzedodge

Just to update - found the inner snap ring, no longer holding the inner and outer weights together.  It was in the bottom of the tailstock.  Thank you John!  Right on the money, as usual.
Mopar forever!

John_Kunkel

This is a pretty common failure shortly after an overhaul; if the e-clip is just installed in the wide groove in the cross shaft and not seated to the outer limit of the groove (like the shaft on the right), the weight or valve can push it off the end of the shaft. This sometimes results in the shaft coming out and bending when it hits the inside of the housing.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.