News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Originality Test-68 H code

Started by triple_green, August 02, 2018, 07:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple_green

Find the things on my Engine compartment that are not original or correct.

68 H code Charger non-A/C, automatic, May 68 build date Eng and Trans match VIN.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

DAY CLONA

first is that battery tag, it never existed...upper control arm cams/bolts should not be body color

68RT440

Looks pretty darn good to me. I guess if we're grabbing for straws, I believe that the hold down clamp on the master cylinder is supposed to be a dark phosphate finish and the distributor hold down should be silver cad.
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 68RT440 on August 02, 2018, 07:37:06 PM
Looks pretty darn good to me. I guess if we're grabbing for straws, I believe that the hold down clamp on the master cylinder is supposed to be a dark phosphate finish.

Agreed, on the hold down, but IIRC the cover should be clear zinc over steel, not to sure on the cover style, I'm leaning to it being the flat top with a single bolt, still clear zinc over steel tough...

DAY CLONA

Could also get petty over the exhaust manifold treatment....

DAY CLONA

Wiper motor needs a gloss finish...

DAY CLONA

battery cables need to go... throttle spring too

cdr

The headlight vacuum lines are routed wrong.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Wingnut426

Bracket that holds distributor wires on thermostat is on the wrong side. Not sure, is the oil breather supposed to be chrome in 68? WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

8WHEELER

Needs the heater hose stand, that bolts to the alternator.
The headlight hoses run on top of the inner fender, until it gets to the battery. The 1 inch long clips are sold in white or black, white is correct.
Looks good Mark.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

69CoronetRT

Heater hoses routed wrong. Should cross over.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: DAY CLONA on August 02, 2018, 07:38:51 PM
Looks pretty darn good to me. I guess if we're grabbing for straws, I believe that the hold down clamp on the master cylinder is supposed to be a dark phosphate finish.

Agreed, on the hold down, but IIRC the cover should be clear zinc over steel, not to sure on the cover style, I'm leaning to it being the flat top with a single bolt, still clear zinc over steel tough...

I'm almost positive he's got the correct cover on that master cylinder, color isn't right. It's the one I've always considered OEM but I can't point to any specific documentation on it. The flat top zinc covered ones are the ones you get from the parts stores now a days.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Mytur Binsdirti

In addition to what's been said above......

The upper radiator hose clamp should be tilted 1/8" clockwise.
The washer hose should have an extra 1/2" in length.
Position the air cleaner wing nut so that it's in the 10:00 & 4:00 o'clock position.
The air cleaner breather hose is 3/16" too long.
You need a slight bit more of a  loop in the RH hood turn signal wire. The left wire is just fine.
The number 4 plug wire is in the wrong position on the bracket.

Other than that, you're all set.

krops cars

Holy SH--. I never had a clue what it would take to build a true numbers matching correct car. You guys picked all this out from a simple picture. That is so cool.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: bakerhillpins on August 03, 2018, 05:42:41 AM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on August 02, 2018, 07:38:51 PM

I'm almost positive he's got the correct cover on that master cylinder, color isn't right. It's the one I've always considered OEM but I can't point to any specific documentation on it. The flat top zinc covered ones are the ones you get from the parts stores now a days.

You are correct Sir, after looking up some old Charger road-test magazine photos that 2 hump/1 bolt master is correct for 68 and 69

Mike

6bblgt

should be no "pie tin"
missing ground on rear of engine to firewall
missing lock nut on shocks
wrong PCV

where is the negative battery cable anchored?
does the car have 10" or 11" drum brakes?  is that the correct brake booster?
group 27 battery is rarely correct w/383, got b'cast sheet?

Canadian1968

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on August 03, 2018, 06:20:48 AM

Position the air cleaner wing nut so that it's in the 10:00 & 4:00 o'clock position.
You need a slight bit more of a  loop in the RH hood turn signal wire. The left wire is just fine.

LOL

John_Kunkel

The washer fluid is the wrong shade of blue.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

VegasCharger

You left out the distributor vacuum line having too much slack.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: VegasCharger on August 06, 2018, 12:24:40 AM

You left out the distributor vacuum line having too much slack.

Good eye!!!

:2thumbs:

triple_green

lots of good feedback here. Some of the comments about bolts being engine color are my sloppy overspray on valve cover and thermostat housing.etc touch ups without removing them.

The two I knew about were: it should not have a pie tin and the battery should not be a red top it should be yellow (from my research).

Thanks to all who have a lot more expertise than me!
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

hemi68charger

Think the booster is wrong.. Should it not be a Midland-Ross? Doesn't appear to be......

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection