News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Would you get rid of the original 383 from your clone?

Started by oldcarnut, June 12, 2018, 07:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

My RR had the original 383 motor which was running but I acquired a 440 to use untill the intended 440 gets built. I'll probably never put that 383 in nor would anybody else if I sold the car convert it back to the RR.  I also saved the entire rust free front clip and other oem parts.  A friend wants to buy it or swap another built low mileage 440 for it and some cash.  I don't need another 440 but I have mixed feelings on separating it from the car but otherwise it will just sit there.  The date code etc is exactly what he needs for his Challenger.  Is there any real point in keeping it?  What have you other cloners done with your numbers engs that your not using?  I can not for see any reason I'd convert the car back.

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Birdflu

I'd lean towards helping out a buddy with his Challenger project. I wouldn't keep it around...

CRW-FK5

I think I'd have the same concerns about it.  Personally, I'd keep the engine even if it sits in the corner.  I'm not sure where the engine size cut off is for value in numbers matching but I would think any numbers matching Roadrunner would tend to make it more valuable.  If your friend sees value in just a date code correct 383 for his car then wouldn't that suggest even more value in a numbers matching 383 for your car?  

oldcarnut

I get the similar thoughts but on the flip side, he has restored his RT to as it was coming off the dealer floor. I guess years ago he got it without the original motor and built a nice 440 for it.  Life took a turn on health for him so now he is looking to sell the Challenger and want to enhance it back to the correct motor I reckon for more value.  Me though have morphed the RR into something else than what it was so that's where I try to figure where the value of a numbers motor would or wouldn't have an effect on it since everything else changed on it. I'm not even sure what the value of the motor to sell would be. It's complete and was running. 
Quote from: CRW-FK5 on June 13, 2018, 05:36:26 AM
I think I'd have the same concerns about it.  Personally, I'd keep the engine even if it sits in the corner.  I'm not sure where the engine size cut off is for value in numbers matching but I would think any numbers matching Roadrunner would tend to make it more valuable.  If your friend sees value in just a date code correct 383 for his car then wouldn't that suggest even more value in a numbers matching 383 for your car?  

Old Moparz

I'd probably keep it, but then again, I keep EVERYTHING anyway.  :lol:

Seriously, if it's the original motor to the car & not grenaded I'd have a very tough time parting with it, especially a big block car. Personally, I'm not concerned about finding an all original car for myself, but I know others do & the chance to have a matching numbers car is more rare now than when we first started driving. In your case, you've modified the Road Runner to a point that it's more than a weekend's worth of work removing bolt ons so pieces like the rear plug is most likely there for life. I don't think the 383 will increase the value of the bird, it's more of a nostalgia piece.

I snagged a 1971 383 block years ago & thought it would be cool to put it in the '71 Barracuda I had that someone swapped a 400 into that wasn't running. I sold the car but the buyer didn't want the 383 because he had a 426 so I still have it on a dolly with no plans for it at the moment. If space isn't an issue & you can't decide just cover it up for now & leave it. If you trip over it every day, maybe your buddy could use it more than you can.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

paironines

I know its not the same thing but I pitched the original 318 to my 68 Charger. I would have never used it in that car and the next owners desires are of no concern to me. If you are keeping the RR as a bird and selling as a bird someday you should sell it off....and the clip too.

Alaskan_TA

His car already has the original engine gone & he regrets it.

Since it does not match, potential buyers would not let the 440 he has stop them.

I would keep the 383 with your car if it were mine.

Once gone, original engines can be tough to get back.

charger chris

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 15, 2018, 01:49:22 PM
His car already has the original engine gone & he regrets it.

Since it does not match, potential buyers would not let the 440 he has stop them.

I would keep the 383 with your car if it were mine.

Once gone, original engines can be tough to get back.

:iagree:
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Birdflu on June 12, 2018, 11:08:35 PM
I'd lean towards helping out a buddy with his Challenger project. I wouldn't keep it around...

Agreed, generally for me, a 383 is isn't  even worth considering for a build, even a stroker...

340,440,426 are the only one's worthy of holding on to, and even then I've tossed a few 340 and 440 engines in the scrap dumpster over the decades, as far as "numbers matching" that can always be arranged...if need be

JB400

If you blow up your current 440, which one would you like to put back in it?

You're going to have a spare engine taking up room regardless

b5blue

Just my  :Twocents: but do the trade for the 440 and some cash. Why? Honor your old engine by letting it live on in a worthy Mopar, sell the 440, sell the front clip and bank the cash. The money will speed up the clone job and get you to enjoying driving it sooner.  :2thumbs:

oldcarnut

Update I sold the motor to my friend.  He offered $900 for it and today I loaded it in the truck and took it to his house.  Here's a pic of the 70 Challenger RT it's going in. 

Birdflu

Nice! Your 'organ' donation just put another Mopar back on the road!  :2thumbs:

303 Mopar

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

JB400