News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reverse lights connection

Started by phantom, August 03, 2018, 08:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom

Hi. I have a 68 Charger with console auto, and a 70 model 727 TF with the 3 prong switch. Theres also a switch on the gear lever, and the colors on those wires are purple/white. Now, i have changed the harness to a Painless kit, and those two wires which say back up switch B+ (white) and backup light switch (purple), where does the wires go to make the lights work? I have them connected to the switch on the lever now, but the lights only light up for a second when i move the lever to Reverse,  and then goes black. Should they to to the switch on the trans?

Thanks, Frank.

70 sublime

Maybe the switch on the gear shift lever needs to be adjusted a little one way or the other so it stays on when the lever is in the reverse notch 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

phantom

I suspect the 68-70 are different when it comes to neutral safety switches, maybe someone can confirm? I read somewhere that the switch on the 727s for the 68 cars only had one prong, while the 70 have three. I know the center prong is for the neutral safety, maybe on the 70 model cars, the two outer prongs are for the backup light?

And the switch on the gear lever (which only engages when i put it in Park) is the neutral safety in my case, being the car is a 68?

BLK 68 R/T

68 has a single stud switch on the transmission for the neutral safety. All it does is ground the starter relay so it will start in park and neutral. The backup light switch is on the gear shift lever and should only activate when put into reverse.

John_Kunkel

On the 3-prong NSS the center prong is Neutral Safety and the two outer prongs are the backup light switch, so route the two wires from your old backup light switch to the two outer prongs. You'll need this connector.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

phantom

Nacho-RT74

Maybe wire color won't match. Older cars got black and black traced on outer terminals instead the violet one. Doesn't really mather wich one connects to which one, will work. Central brown traced yellow wire is ground and must runt to starte relay ground prong.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

phantom

Tried 70 sublime's suggestion, i adjusted the switch on the gear lever, worked like a charm.

70 sublime

Quote from: phantom on August 04, 2018, 03:00:31 AM
Tried 70 sublime's suggestion, i adjusted the switch on the gear lever, worked like a charm.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green