News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What gives with all the fake re-pop Fender Tags ?

Started by Challenger340, August 03, 2018, 02:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Business must be really booming for who ever repops these tags, but do the people getting them done, really think nobody can tell a FAKE re-pop Fender tag from the real deal "original" Fender Tag ?
Just me,
but I wouldn't pay squat premium for a car with a repop, but alas, I guess many people will ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Alaskan_TA

The cars are worth more with no tag than with a fake tag.

The car owners that have them made ruin their own reputations & it also brings the rest of the cars numbers into question.

If the tag had to be faked what else was faked?

There are several 'services' now that make fake tags. For them it is all about the money.  :'(

green69rt

I could see using a repop, but only if I had the original to go along with it.  My dash tag has a corroded edge and I would like to put something nicer in such a prominent position, but I would keep my original with the title etc.  Likewise with the fender tag, especially since I hear about tags getting stolen (not that mine would be worth stealing.)

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Challenger340 on August 03, 2018, 02:38:33 PM
Business must be really booming for who ever repops these tags, but do the people getting them done, really think nobody can tell a FAKE re-pop Fender tag from the real deal "original" Fender Tag ?
Just me,
but I wouldn't pay squat premium for a car with a repop, but alas, I guess many people will ?

Are your restless nights fraught with the idea of "reproduction tags", or reproduction tags that have been enhanced with options and numbers that weren't original to the vehicle?...

hemi-hampton

Alaskan_TA

Challenger340

Quote from: DAY CLONA on August 03, 2018, 03:14:22 PM
Just me,

Are your restless nights fraught with the idea of "reproduction tags", or reproduction tags that have been enhanced with options and numbers that weren't original to the vehicle?...

Does your Fake "re-pop" Fender Tag make you sleep better ?

Lennard

Quote from: Challenger340 on August 03, 2018, 10:15:22 PM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on August 03, 2018, 03:14:22 PM
Just me,

Does your Fake "re-pop" Fender Tag make you sleep better ?
Who cares about tags, codes and matching numbers?! :blahblah:
The only numbers that matter on a muscle car are the torque and horsepower numbers.  :drive:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Lennard on August 03, 2018, 10:51:11 PM

Who cares about tags, codes and matching numbers?! :blahblah:
The only numbers that matter on a muscle car are the torque and horsepower numbers.  :drive:

Exactly!...

INTMD8

Quote from: green69rt on August 03, 2018, 03:11:12 PM
I could see using a repop, but only if I had the original to go along with it.  My dash tag has a corroded edge and I would like to put something nicer in such a prominent position, but I would keep my original with the title etc.  Likewise with the fender tag, especially since I hear about tags getting stolen (not that mine would be worth stealing.)

I agree.  If you can back it up, it -should- be able to be restored like anything else on the car.

If it has non NOS 1/4 panels or any other replacement parts are those "fake" as well?
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

DAY CLONA

Quote from: INTMD8 on August 04, 2018, 05:37:48 PM
I could see using a repop, but only if I had the original to go along with it.  My dash tag has a corroded edge and I would like to put something nicer in such a prominent position, but I would keep my original with the title etc.  Likewise with the fender tag, especially since I hear about tags getting stolen (not that mine would be worth stealing.)

I agree.  If you can back it up, it -should- be able to be restored like anything else on the car.

If it has non NOS 1/4 panels or any other replacement parts are those "fake" as well?

Could be a new category for "original" restored cars to pass, numbers matching or not?

fake paint
fake tires
fake panels
fake seats/interior
fake engine components
fake suspension
fake wiring
fake glass
fake trim
fake air in the tires
fake gas
fake weatherstrip
fake paint daubs
fake chalk marks
fake decals
fake bolt hardware
fake fuel/emission/brake lines
fake door VIN sticker/window sticker
fake carpet
fake light bulbs
fake chrome
fake battery

Lot of "faked" vehicles out there!, and some are worried sleepless over a little tin "fake tag" when there's a much larger problem... :scratchchin: :slap: :icon_smile_big:

Challenger340

I mean one need look no further than the thickness of the repop body sheet metal being used in 1/4 Panels, Fenders, Door skins, etc. for example ?
But that's all that is available for restoration and it must be used.
So,
I guess it makes no difference if the fake repop Fender Tags stick out like sore thumbs ? Nice Identifiers ?

IMO,
I just thought a small part like a Fender Tag could be reproduced better, I mean after all here, it's only a couple of square inches of metal for crissakes ?

Challenger340

I certainly have no reason to be "worried sleepless" about anything, I know what isn't original on mine ?

2 Lower Ball Joints
1 Tie Rod end
1 idler Arm
2 U-Joints
2 Mufflers
2 Exhaust Tips
2 Wiper Blades
Heater Hoses
Upper & Lower Rad Hoses
Frt Windshield
Numerous sets of Points/Plugs/Condenser/Plug Wires & Dizzy Cap
V/Cover Gskts
Carb Kit
Gas Tank/Sender & Fuel Pump
4 Tires (radials)
Numerous Oil & Fuel Filters, Engine Oil
Front Brake Linings(rears still original)
2 Low Beams(Highs are still factory)
The exterior only paint covering in early 80's(original is underneath)
Frt Bucket Seat Inserts resewn

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Challenger340 on August 05, 2018, 11:40:09 AM
I mean one need look no further than the thickness of the repop body sheet metal being used in 1/4 Panels, Fenders, Door skins, etc. for example ?

If your buying the cheap stuff sure, it's crap, better repro metal like AMD is actually thicker by approx .010 (.040 vs OEM .030) and OEM isn't without it's flaws also

Dano 1

I agree, I had considered getting a repop tag just for theft concerns, not that mine is overly rare either but I'd sure hate to lose it.

Now if you're trying to pull a fast one on a potential buyer by trying to pass a repop tag off as the real thing then that's fraud. If you have a damaged or rusted original tag and/or build sheet to back it up and are HONEST about the originality then it's all good in my book.
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

Challenger340

Quote from: DAY CLONA on August 05, 2018, 12:49:09 PM

If your buying the cheap stuff sure, it's crap, better repro metal like AMD is actually thicker by approx .010 (.040 vs OEM .030) and OEM isn't without it's flaws also

HUH ??
I think you may have that a little backwards ?
My original OEM Sheet Metal is .048" to .050" pretty much ANYWHERE on the exterior panels on my Charger, and yes, I have a sonic thickness tester.

AMD advertise "19" gauge,(or .043") for their panels as better than the competition.

chargervert

I have both NOS Charger rear quarter panels, and AMD Charger rear quarter panels, and the AMD panels are definitely thicker and heavier than the NOS Charger rear quarter panels.

Old Moparz

Quote from: DAY CLONA on August 04, 2018, 06:24:09 PM
Quote from: INTMD8 on August 04, 2018, 05:37:48 PM
I could see using a repop, but only if I had the original to go along with it.  My dash tag has a corroded edge and I would like to put something nicer in such a prominent position, but I would keep my original with the title etc.  Likewise with the fender tag, especially since I hear about tags getting stolen (not that mine would be worth stealing.)

I agree.  If you can back it up, it -should- be able to be restored like anything else on the car.

Could be a new category for "original" restored cars to pass, numbers matching or not?

fake paint
fake tires
fake panels
fake seats/interior
fake engine components
fake suspension
fake wiring
fake glass
fake trim
fake air in the tires
fake gas
fake weatherstrip
fake paint daubs
fake chalk marks
fake decals
fake bolt hardware
fake fuel/emission/brake lines
fake door VIN sticker/window sticker
fake carpet
fake light bulbs
fake chrome
fake battery

Lot of "faked" vehicles out there!, and some are worried sleepless over a little tin "fake tag" when there's a much larger problem... :scratchchin: :slap: :icon_smile_big:

You left "Fake Sunroof" off your list.  :Twocents:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Birdflu

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Challenger340 on August 06, 2018, 12:00:09 PM

HUH ??
My original OEM Sheet Metal is .048" to .050" pretty much ANYWHERE on the exterior panels on my Charger, and yes, I have a sonic thickness tester.

AMD advertise "19" gauge,(or .043") for their panels as better than the competition.

Might want to get that Harbor Freight Sonic thickness tester checked out, use a set of micrometers, just for shits and giggles, I checked the 70 Coronet hood that I just de-skinned with a set of micrometers, paint stripped, mics out at .035, I've mic'd enough sheetmetal over the years, pre-war vehicles you'll see .050+ sheetmetal, but by the 60's on up most manufactures used 22-20 gauge (.030-.036)

The only place you'll see sheetmetal in 18 gauge (.047+) on a 2nd gen Charger is it it's got some of my steel reproduction Daytona parts on it...  ;D  

Alaskan_TA

People are well aware that I do not support VIN swaps, faking numbers, etc.

A different question;

If anyone here thinks that faking numbers is OK, please let everyone know who you are?

(Especially if you have done it before)

Challenger340

Quote from: DAY CLONA on August 06, 2018, 02:50:22 PM
Quote from: Challenger340 on August 06, 2018, 12:00:09 PM

HUH ??

Might want to get that Harbor Freight Sonic thickness tester checked out, use a set of micrometers, just for shits and giggles, I checked the 70 Coronet hood that I just de-skinned with a set of micrometers, paint stripped, mics out at .035, I've mic'd enough sheetmetal over the years, pre-war vehicles you'll see .050+ sheetmetal, but by the 60's on up most manufactures used 22-20 gauge (.030-.036)

The only place you'll see sheetmetal in 18 gauge (.047+) on a 2nd gen Charger is it it's got some of my steel reproduction Daytona parts on it...  ;D  

Sorry, engineering grade, $1,500 Stresstell W/Calibration, techs cages as well.
When you find an example that doesn't need de-skinning or otherwise rust repaired, maybe check one of those ?
We've compared at buddy's resto shop, AMD are thinner than my OEM, you believe whatever you want  :rofl:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on August 06, 2018, 05:42:48 PM

A different question;

If anyone here thinks that faking numbers is OK, please let everyone know who you are?

"numbers" are "faked" in EVERY facet of human existence to achieve an end result, what makes fender tags, VIN tags exempt ?... nothing, just the injection of the "human condition"...

John_Kunkel

I could see using a repop, but only if I had the original to go along with it. 

Yeah, big difference between "fake" and "repop". Repops might be the only option for rusted/missing tags. If repop fender tags are to be condemned, then so should all reproduction parts.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: DAY CLONA on August 07, 2018, 10:59:08 AM
Quote from: Alaskan_TA on August 06, 2018, 05:42:48 PM

A different question;

"numbers" are "faked" in EVERY facet of human existence to achieve an end result, what makes fender tags, VIN tags exempt ?... nothing, just the injection of the "human condition"...

There are no honest reasons to fake numbers. Only fakers & frauds find such activity acceptable.  :Twocents: