News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What gives with all the fake re-pop Fender Tags ?

Started by Challenger340, August 03, 2018, 02:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 07, 2018, 12:10:37 PM
Quote from: green69rt on August 03, 2018, 03:11:12 PM
I could see using a repop, but only if I had the original to go along with it.

Yeah, big difference between "fake" and "repop". Repops might be the only option for rusted/missing tags. If repop fender tags are to be condemned, then so should all reproduction parts.

I think it gets blurry when you look at the intent. If it's simply to replace a rusted one or a real fender tag that you don't want stolen that is one thing.  Making up crap saying the car came with this and that and presenting as real is another, and fraudulent.

I guess the same can be said with reproduction parts, we see tons of cars for sale saying all original when in fact they have been painted twice and fitted with repro parts..  

nvrbdn

I wonder If I can have a tag made for my 70 500 that lists the special order 69 bucket seats, 68 tail stripe, 71 steering wheel.  :shruggy:

I can understand All the hype on the tag stuff, for these guys with all original cars. My original plum car was damaged at the front drivers fender at sometime in its life, and a yellow fender was added to replace the damaged area. back in the earlier years while these cars were young, no one cared that they just scrapped the fender tag. Now, I don't have a build sheet because this baby was being drag raced for years, so the interior was taken out. So I really have no clue what this car started with. It was a 383 car. So how the heck would you even begin to decide what would be on the tag to build one? I even think the bucket seats that were in the car are buick buckets. LOL So I built what I wanted.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Highbanked Hauler

I have had my 500 since  new or 6320 miles being a dealers demo. My tag is rusted but some of it is readable and it is in a safe place. NOW I would like to get a repro tag for 2 reasons as my son will take over the car at a point in time. The engine and trans have an  X stamped over the  S on both as they are original to the car. The color is original and it came with 14 in. steel wheels with red line tires with full wheel covers  SO who is the best at repro tags ?  

My 68 has a perfect fender tag and NOTHING is original on it so where is the justice. :slap: :slap: :popcrn:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

chrint

Some people on this forum are just HEll bent on thinking because its repro its dodgy pardon the pun , but most simply want to replace the tag when restoring a car to make it look nice and new like the rest of the car that's all it is or they may have lost their tag when doing a long term resto,  I cant find my tag at the moment so I may have to get a new one produced, nothing more than that, so take a deep breath and chill out. There is always two sides to a story not every one has fraud intentions enough said.

alfaitalia

Quote from: nvrbdn on August 13, 2018, 09:10:00 PM
I wonder If I can have a tag made for my 70 500 that lists the special order 69 bucket seats, 68 tail stripe, 71 steering wheel.  :shruggy:

I can understand All the hype on the tag stuff, for these guys with all original cars. My original plum car was damaged at the front drivers fender at sometime in its life, and a yellow fender was added to replace the damaged area. back in the earlier years while these cars were young, no one cared that they just scrapped the fender tag. Now, I don't have a build sheet because this baby was being drag raced for years, so the interior was taken out. So I really have no clue what this car started with. It was a 383 car. So how the heck would you even begin to decide what would be on the tag to build one? I even think the bucket seats that were in the car are buick buckets. LOL So I built what I wanted.

Imo opinion you are better off without one than making one up if you don't know what was on the original. In the future when you sell it, or die!, then it could easily be mistaken for real or worse still sold as its real original spec. To my mind none of the repop tags ive seen look like the original ones anyway. The text and to folds are just too "sharp" edged compared to the original ones.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

nvrbdn

Right. My plan is to not have one. After I am gone from this world the kids can worry about what to do with the car.  :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House