News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering u-joint doesn't reach?

Started by INTMD8, August 05, 2018, 06:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTMD8

Working on my 69 Charger. When I got it the column was in the car but unrestored.  Had no dowel pin holding the u-joint to the steering box.

I've since rebuilt the column and now that I'm re-assembling, it seems the u-joint is pulled all the way out (to where the internal blocks are hitting the rubber seal and pushing on the seal retainer.

At that point I'm still 1/4in away from lining up the retaining pin.

Column has a -bump- which stops it from going any further into the engine bay at the firewall seal plate.

Any suggestions as to why this may be happening? Thanks!!   :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

70 sublime

If it never had the dowel pin in the lock on the gear box joint when you got it maybe it never was the right steering column ?
Think power steering vs manual steering are different lengths
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

375instroke

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 05, 2018, 08:35:26 PM
If it never had the dowel pin in the lock on the gear box joint when you got it maybe it never was the right steering column ?

They're a few inches different.  This sounds like an inch or so.  Perhaps the column was dropped on the end, and collapsed, pushing the inner shaft further into the outer tube.  Try pulling it out.

INTMD8

Quote from: 375instroke on August 05, 2018, 11:47:28 PM
Quote from: 70 sublime on August 05, 2018, 08:35:26 PM

They're a few inches different.  This sounds like an inch or so.  Perhaps the column was dropped on the end, and collapsed, pushing the inner shaft further into the outer tube.  Try pulling it out.

Going to give this a try, it's pretty close. Thanks!!

INTMD8

Quote from: 375instroke on August 05, 2018, 11:47:28 PM
  Perhaps the column was dropped on the end, and collapsed, pushing the inner shaft further into the outer tube.  Try pulling it out.

Spot on, this fixed it. Thank you  :cheers:

375instroke