News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you ever think about how different it is to drive our cars vs new cars?

Started by green69rt, August 07, 2018, 11:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Challenger340 on August 15, 2018, 08:38:34 PM

your sidestepping because you still can't answer the question ?

No, I just like to mess with anal, uptight people.

You're absolutely right, I haven't driven a 2nd Gen Charger in many years; I also haven't flown a Piper Tri-Pacer for many years but I still remember enough of its characteristics to make an unbiased comparison to more modern platforms that handle better.

The subject of the OP is "do you ever think of the difference?" and, yes, I do. While I enjoy driving both, I would never try to represent old as being equal/superior to new (as some here have tried to do). If I had both sitting side by side and wanted to do some canyon carving, I'd leave the old at home. However, if I wanted to "just drive" for the hell of it or hang with birds of a feather, it would be the old.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

6pkrtse

As much as I like my 2012 R/T Challenger Classic. I would never sell my classics to buy a newer car. I still enjoy driving my 70' Charger as much as I do. Although, I may be one of the luckier ones. It is an R/T S.E. loaded with options like A/C, cruise, power windows, power disc brakes, power steering, etc. So, it has almost all of the creature comforts of the newer Challenger but definitely does not get the mileage. LOL.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Challenger340

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 16, 2018, 12:03:45 PM
Quote from: Challenger340 on August 15, 2018, 08:38:34 PM

your sidestepping because you still can't answer the question ?

No, I just like to mess with anal, uptight people.

Yeah, "takes one to know one" you anal retentive uptight old fart !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Lennard

Kern Dog

JB400

Lennard

JB400

Quote from: Lennard on August 18, 2018, 12:25:40 AM
Quote from: JB400 on August 17, 2018, 11:35:36 PM
Wasn't even about politics either.  :slap:
You've got it mixed up, that's another forum.  :nono:
My point exactly.  It's not necessary to have political discussions to have disagreements.

And yes, that is another forum, and it's a mess.  However, got to give them the fact that they're trying to clean it up.

c00nhunterjoe

So if i put a throttle body injection on a 2nd gen, will that meet your standards john?  :poke: :stirthepot:

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

70B5Cuda

Funny thread. I own a survivor 69 Charger (383/727), a 2008 Charger SRT8 (auto trans), and a 2010 Challenger SRT (6 speed manual).

You CANNOT deny that the Charger's appeal is in a league of it's own. The body lines are just one of a kind. The torsion bar suspension is comfortable, but the suspension and steering in my SRT8s is so much tighter and responsive. The 6 speed manual is tight and an absolute joy; It is way more fun then a 4 speed. Every stop sign and on ramp is my playground. Since I've owned and driven both, I am now building several classic Mopars with 6.1L hemi engines and modern suspension. Best of both worlds in my opinion!
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

Kern Dog

A late model powertrain and improved stock based suspension is a great way to get the advantages of both. I love the rumble of a classic V8 though. I have never heard a late model 5.7 or bigger HEMI lope or cackle.

70B5Cuda

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 18, 2018, 03:28:36 PM
A late model powertrain and improved stock based suspension is a great way to get the advantages of both. I love the rumble of a classic V8 though. I have never heard a late model 5.7 or bigger HEMI lope or cackle.

In stock form, I could see that but I've got a couple 6.1L engines that sound beautiful. They just need a cam, longtube headers, and a good catback exhaust system (I am partial to Magnaflow) to wake up the sound.
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

c00nhunterjoe

The grind of the cam and lack of vvt can really make or break the sound of a modern hemi

Kern Dog

I agree that it is possible, I have just never heard one that rumbled like a 440.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 18, 2018, 06:39:25 PM
I agree that it is possible, I have just never heard one that rumbled like a 440.

You need to go to an nhra division race...
https://youtu.be/WdqcTZlKACM

Mike DC

By the time you get a modern motor to rumble like an old one, it will probably be gas-guzzling and uncivilized like the old one too.

G-man

If you ignore the fact that old cars don't drive well and anything can explode/stop working at the blink of an eye while on the road... well then they are not much different.

jefferson

Quote from: G-man on August 19, 2018, 03:48:09 AM
If you ignore the fact that old cars don't drive well and anything can explode/stop working at the blink of an eye while on the road... well then they are not much different.

lol this

Funny, mum said to me the other day while sitting in the charger together, your going to need to take a mechanic with you everytime you drive this. hahaha so true, when you hear the engine rumbling theres always that little bit of oh jees am im going to break down on the side of the road today or is the car going to even start today. Especially being a 50 year old car.

I've driven nothing but old 70's cars daily and have only been stuck maybe two or three times. The only one requiring a tow was when I blew up the pump in my C6 trans. Fuel economy is my only complaint due to the price of fuel today.

Older cars have character and are less "numb"

You drive them, they don't drive you...

alfaitalia

Quote from: 440 on August 19, 2018, 08:16:19 AM
I've driven nothing but old 70's cars daily and have only been stuck maybe two or three times. The only one requiring a tow was when I blew up the pump in my C6 trans. Fuel economy is my only complaint due to the price of fuel today.

LOL!... You do realise that you have about the cheapest fuel in the Western developed World right!!!? Over here in the UK its £5.90 per UK gallon for petrol (gas!) today.....so that's about $7.55 at todays rate....and even converting to your smaller US gallon it works out at about $6.29 per gallon. Live with those prices before you complain about fuel prices. A while back there was a big spike in price and we has to live with near $10 per UK gallon for a while.....luckily that did not last long!! Combine that with the cars like the 68-70 Charger costing half as much again due to rarity and parts being two or three times the cost.....and you guys really have nothing to complain about.....car wise at least!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Quote from: alfaitalia on August 19, 2018, 09:04:47 AM
Quote from: 440 on August 19, 2018, 08:16:19 AM

LOL!... You do realise that you have about the cheapest fuel in the Western developed World right!!!? Over here in the UK its £5.90 per UK gallon for petrol (gas!) today.....so that's about $7.55 at todays rate....and even converting to your smaller US gallon it works out at about $6.29 per gallon. Live with those prices before you complain about fuel prices. A while back there was a big spike in price and we has to live with near $10 per UK gallon for a while.....luckily that did not last long!! Combine that with the cars like the 68-70 Charger costing half as much again due to rarity and parts being two or three times the cost.....and you guys really have nothing to complain about.....car wise at least!!

Fuel here in Aus isn't cheap, it is $1.59 a liter at the moment which is about $5.88 a gallon. My mild 302 on the open road with 2.92 gears averaged 27L/100k.

When I lived in California I used to complain about the fuel prices too, but having moved here I realize in hindsight I had nothing to complain about. I remember visiting my grandfather in Alabama and being surprised fuel was only $.99 a gallon.

At the moment I burn through about $60 - $70 a week in gasoline  :rotz:

Polygon

Well since you asked, my new 2013 Challenger, absolutely rides like a dream. Best handling and driving car I've owned in my entire life. And it's been trouble free.

My 1970 Charger is fun for a Sunday afternoon Drive. Loud and cantankerous but loads of fun.
www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page

Mike DC

QuoteLOL!... You do realise that you have about the cheapest fuel in the Western developed World right!!!? Over here in the UK its £5.90 per UK gallon for petrol (gas!) today.....so that's about $7.55 at todays rate....and even converting to your smaller US gallon it works out at about $6.29 per gallon. Live with those prices before you complain about fuel prices. A while back there was a big spike in price and we has to live with near $10 per UK gallon for a while.....luckily that did not last long!! Combine that with the cars like the 68-70 Charger costing half as much again due to rarity and parts being two or three times the cost.....and you guys really have nothing to complain about.....car wise at least!!

I agree about US gas prices.

On the other hand, try living in most areas of the USA without a car.  Gas here is cheap because the other options aren't practical/available for most people. 

alfaitalia

It's not so much that...there are politics involved. You have higher reserves, better access to other reserves due to trade agreements and don't mind starting wars to keep it that way. The base price of the fuel in the UK is not that far from you....but the tax here is massive....not just to discourage its use for environmental reasons (which it does....just look at the number of small cars here) but also because we pay the full cost of motoring here. Over there the taxes drivers pay don't cover the real cost of motoring (building and repairing roads and bridges etc) whereas over here it easily covers is with some left over to go towards our health service etc. Different strokes etc.....

...anyway ball on topic!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!