News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 3/4 green bearings or tapered bearings?

Started by jwells1993, August 07, 2018, 02:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwells1993

which do you prefer and why? having trouble trying to set my end play seems i get it set and a week later its different set it 3 times so far kinda just wanted to switch to green bearings whats in store for changing them to the green bearings? thanks for your help
keep on keepin on

Birdflu

Having owned and operated a drive line shop for over 25 years, I'm a fan of the OE style tapered bearings. Though it sounds like you're having some grief adjusting your end play (PM me if you have questions), it is a better set up for everyday driving. Tapered bearings are designed to deal with side load whereas the green style roller bearings are not. I know I'll probably get some static from the racers running green bearings as they will hold up fine in a straight line environment. They are designed to handle the weight of the vehicle just fine but are not doing anything to absorb the thrust or side load that the rear axle sees when the vehicle executes a corner. Customers will often want to install green bearings when restoring their cars as they are usually less expensive and easier to set-up. My response to that is, the tapered bearings they're replacing have survived the last 40+ years and that included daily driving back when these cars were new. Why not replace them with another set of tapered bearings that will last the next 40+ years with limited use?  :shruggy: :Twocents:

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

c00nhunterjoe

Either will work. I have greens in mine. Seen lots of street miles. Unless you are autocrossing they will not fail. The tapered are more heavy duty and should not take constant adjustments. Something else is wrong or going wrong.

GreenMachine

Make sure the thrust button is installed in the 3rd member. The tapered bearings require it, the green bearings need it removed.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

jwells1993

having trouble since i installed new third member 489 case 3:73 richmond gears and an auburn locker "thrust button" is there
keep on keepin on

c00nhunterjoe

Where did you find 3.73 gears?  :scratchchin:

And what do you have to keep readjusting?

jwells1993

have to keep readjusting endplay in axle shaft axle shaft will walk back in and wheel studs will hit piece that runs across the brake shoes
keep on keepin on

jwells1993

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 08, 2018, 02:27:59 PM
Where did you find 3.73 gears?  :scratchchin:

And what do you have to keep readjusting?

summits got em right now us gear yukon gear
keep on keepin on

John_Kunkel

If the axle end play keeps increasing, either something is wearing quickly or you're not adjusting properly. I like to keep smacking the passenger side axle with a shot-filled hammer as I turn the adjuster to make sure the drivers side bearing is fully seated and then turn the axle while checking the end play.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

jwells1993

i dont know ill have to try that and see what happens
keep on keepin on