News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why is this not sold? Pick this one apart guys, I'm trying to learn

Started by Oneofthesedays, August 09, 2018, 01:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_fan_4ever

I will bite.

Trunk pan work looks botched rattle can black, interior looks thrown together. Probably no fender tag and build sheet which is required for a 68. New floor looks like they didn't do anything except put in no finishing. It still has the Ecoat on the underside.

Gut feeling says was a rusty relic thrown together for a quick sale.

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

cdr

the battery cables  :icon_smile_blackeye: lets just throw stuff at the firewall & see where it lands.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

BLK 68 R/T

Everything in the engine bay is just mismatched random crap. Wrong washer bottle, brake booster, master cylinder, power steering. Looks like if they found something that fit, they went with it. Seat covers are just cheap knock off looking covers.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on August 09, 2018, 09:21:46 PM
Everything in the engine bay is just mismatched random crap. Wrong washer bottle, brake booster, master cylinder, power steering. Looks like if they found something that fit, they went with it. Seat covers are just cheap knock off looking covers.

Agreed.

rarefish

No, I think it got to be the missing drain plug in the trunk extension....

future68

I can't tell what's all wrong because I don't know enough but I'll tell you what, if I ever find a 68 to purchase I'm going to try to post pics here for everyone's opinion.  Or maybe I'll get lucky and a member who's reputable will sell me their 68.. Anyone?  :icon_smile_cool:

RECHRGD

At today's prices I think it would have sold for close to the asking price.  All the incorrect things are easily fixed, if you're after a 100% correct car.  There must be something else going on that doesn't show in the pictures.....
13.53 @ 105.32

BLK 68 R/T

They are items that can be changed relatively easy and wouldn't necessarily cost a lot to do. But, for me personally, it does call into question the rest of the car and how it was put together, especially in the body work and paint. Major rust issues can be pretty easily hidden but will not stay hidden for long. Thorough inspection might reveal a perfectly good car that just needs some cosmetic upgrades  :Twocents:

BrianShaughnessy

It's an XP masquerading as an R/T.   The upholstery is crap.  I'm pretty sure it would sell if it were $10K cheaper   :Twocents:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

RECHRGD

The only mention of it being an R/T is the heading of the dealers ad.  Looks deceptive.  I don't see anything obvious about the car that indicates an R/T clone.  Just a 318 car with a 383 installed.  Regardless, I bet that fresh paint is hiding a lot.....
13.53 @ 105.32

Bronzedodge

Looks like somebody goofed up on the headliner at the dome light.

I have always wanted to come up with a bracket that allows you to mount a Mopar ECU without drilling holes in the cowl or firewall.  Something that would match up with existing holes.
Mopar forever!

70 sublime

I think this car has been discussed on here before
That trunk floor looks familiar

A previous ebay sale ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

NHCharger

As mentioned above it's a lot of little things that add up to a larger question. Yes there are some mismatched parts that are easily fixed but when you look at the body work in the trunk you have to wonder if there were other short cuts taken on the rust repair. It's possible that all the rust was properly cut out and all the replacement metal was properly welded in. Most guys that are restoring for themselves would go the extra mile on the replacement metal, not leave it untreated. The pics make you wonder if he threw it together to try and make a quick buck.
If he has pics documenting all the rust repair that might help (or not).
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Montclaire

The biggest problem is that it's worth 20k and not 34k.  

Exterior:  Hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the quarter seam may be failing/starting to show through the vinyl (edit - I found other photos, I think it's just the grainy image).  Front bumper looks oxidized.  Also looks like an issue with the top windshield trim on the passenger side.  

Interior:  Non-factory seat covers.  I can't recall if the headrests were a late-68 thing but if it's an early build date car the buckets are wrong.  Console doesn't match the interior.  Seat belts should be black.  Dash trim is missing paint, has mismatched screws, protruding screws, etc.  As someone mentioned headliner may be damaged.  

Engine bay:  Lots here.  I am not going to beat them up over the MP valve covers but I would rather see a repop unsilenced air cleaner - personal choices that differ from stock that a buyer may or may not care about.  Poor paint work - looks like missing paint on passenger side inner fender and black paint around the electrical block on the firewall tells me the car was edged in a hurry.  Vacuum advance disabled (stupid).  Non-factory style wiring and routing, red heater hoses that are basically just laying in the engine bay, wrong clamps, aftermarket radiator with no shroud or overflow line, unpainted water pump - the list could go on for days.  

Undercarriage:  Would a little attention to detail hurt?  If you aren't going to paint the new pans at least properly undercoat them.  People don't want to see a rusted exhaust system on a 34k car unless it still has the factory pipes.  Put on a new $12 trans pan and at least give a quick shot of paint to any oxidized hardware.  

Trunk:  The center of the pan is obviously not factory.  At least paint it and put down a trunk mat.  Heck, even the GM spatter paint would be an improvement.  Remove and paint the jack assembly.  No spare, not even an incorrect one.  

Overall it doesn't seem like a bad car, but as another poster said, what other corners were cut when the car was painted?  Every aspect of the car needs attention, in and out.  

[EDIT]  This car sold out of NJ on ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Dodge-Charger-2-DOOR-/142796683059?hash=item213f587733%3Ag%3AiWUAAOSw~TBa-5T3&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=belHxDEB5sTzEUZ46PNYzeNfby0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557