News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 R/T Radio Options

Started by Tom68, August 12, 2018, 02:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom68

I'm wondering about factory options.  My 68 R/T was mostly stripped when I got it in the mid-90s.  No build sheet or fender tag  :'(

The dash frame has two perfect (I mean perfect) holes for small, maybe 4-5" speakers located perfectly on either side of the top of dash
near the windshield.

The holes look much too perfect to be done by hand.  They would have had to be done with the dash frame out of the car.
It doesn't seem likely that someone would do that after-market.  It would had to have been done in the 80s at the latest.

I have a  booklet from Jim Osborne productions on options for the 68 charger.  It lists a stereo tape option that says there
three speakers.

Is it possible my car had that option? 

I haven't seen anything like that in any other Charger or any pictures on the net anywhere.

Any ideas on how those holes got there and what they are?

Lennard

I think that if you ordered a factory eight track radio,  it came with three speakers in the dashboard frame.

moparstuart

Quote from: Lennard on August 12, 2018, 03:17:48 PM
I think that if you ordered a factory eight track radio,  it came with three speakers in the dashboard frame.
Yes only the factory Am 8 track , got the three speaker dash 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

375instroke

What about '69?  I scored a three speaker dash at Pick a Part with the speakers and grills, gauges, wiring, but no radio.  Would that be 8-track only, too?  No AM/FM?  Were those 8-tracks stereo?  Was the FM ever stereo?

moparstuart

Quote from: 375instroke on August 12, 2018, 06:42:30 PM
What about '69?  I scored a three speaker dash at Pick a Part with the speakers and grills, gauges, wiring, but no radio.  Would that be 8-track only, too?  No AM/FM?  Were those 8-tracks stereo?  Was the FM ever stereo?
Am 8 track only factory 68-70  , but its your car do what you like  

Troy

Quote from: 375instroke on August 12, 2018, 06:42:30 PM
What about '69?  I scored a three speaker dash at Pick a Part with the speakers and grills, gauges, wiring, but no radio.  Would that be 8-track only, too?  No AM/FM?  Were those 8-tracks stereo?  Was the FM ever stereo?
According to various Wikipedia pages... FM stereo transmission/technology was approved by the FCC in 1961 but there weren't any/many stations until at least 1966. The first automotive FM stereo receiver debuted in 1969 (and it wasn't an American brand).

In 1968 the only stereo option in a Charger (or probably most cars) was an 8-track. Hence the only option to get the 3 speaker dash from Chrysler. On a related note, this also made it incredibly expensive - I think the 2nd or 3 most expensive option depending on whether you count the Hemi (engine specifically) or R/T model. I don't remember the prices for 1968 but for 1969 it cost about the same as a Track Pack (around $300?).

Finding a working radio can be a challenge.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

70 sublime

Should have a grill over the speaker holes in the dash
This is a picture from a 69 Charger I had
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Tom68

Thanks for the pic!  That's where my holes are; but I'm missing the grills.  I don't care so much about the radio, but I need to at least cover the holes; and I'd like it to at least look like it was supposed to in 68.

I suppose those are going to be impossible to find.  And I assume nobody re-pops them.

I'm not a concurs show car kinda guy, but I do tend to desire leaning toward originality when I can.

moparstuart

if your looking to put the correct am 8 track in your car here is a thread i started with the components it takes   

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,60797.0.html

Tom68

Thanks.

An 8-track would look cool.  At this point, I'm mostly just interested in being able to cover up the holes and make it look nice.