News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

EV2 Superbird RM23U0A160720 Auction at Bonham's Carmel, CA 8-24-18

Started by Birdflu, August 11, 2018, 04:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdflu

Apparently a 2-owner, #'s, U-code 'bird being offered at auction. Advertised as an unrestored original car (Lot #58 in the catalog). TanTop if you're watching, please post the screen shot as I cannot figure out how :)...besides, judging by your posts, I think you enjoy it :). Anyway, what's with the placement of the 'PLYMOUTH' letters? And apparently an EV2 car that got black letters instead of white? MoparJohn...you watching?  :shruggy:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24811/

Alaskan_TA

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Mopar John

Quote from: Birdflu on August 11, 2018, 04:50:04 PM
Apparently a 2-owner, #'s, U-code 'bird being offered at auction. Advertised as an unrestored original car (Lot #58 in the catalog). TanTop if you're watching, please post the screen shot as I cannot figure out how :)...besides, judging by your posts, I think you enjoy it :). Anyway, what's with the placement of the 'PLYMOUTH' letters? And apparently an EV2 car that got black letters instead of white? MoparJohn...you watching?  :shruggy:

Birdflu,
Yes, I'm watching!
The problem I have is the black decals are WAY off of where the factory would have put them.
I would need to see back in the day pictures as I have shown with mine to believe it was built that way.
MJ

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Stevearino

Quote from: Mopar John on August 11, 2018, 07:03:38 PM
Quote from: Birdflu on August 11, 2018, 04:50:04 PM

Birdflu,
Yes, I'm watching!
The problem I have is the black decals are WAY off of where the factory would have put them.
I would need to see back in the day pictures as I have shown with mine to believe it was built that way.
MJ

Oh God. Once you pointed that out the crookedy black decals cannot be unseen. :eek2:

wingcarenvy

I like it myself. I bet it will go for a deal. There was a similar bird at RM auctions in Scottsdale 2017 that came out of John Staluppi's Cars of Dreams museum. Beautiful well documented car sold for 100K out the door.

DAY CLONA

"unrestored example"  :slap: except for the lousy repaint and decal placement, not a bad car

Luis9995

Quote from: wingcarenvy on August 14, 2018, 10:42:40 PM
I like it myself. I bet it will go for a deal. There was a similar bird at RM auctions in Scottsdale 2017 that came out of John Staluppi's Cars of Dreams museum. Beautiful well documented car sold for 100K out the door.

You really think so? My dad is now looking for a bird or Daytona after I got mine. It's not too far from us. But I was looking at previous auctions and they had some million dollar cars and a lot of stuff with pretty high or at value.

Aero426

This is Wes McNay's car from nor Cal.     Sorry to hear that he has passed away.     Wes owned several interesting cars including the Neely Daytona.   He also raced in the original Can-Am series in the early 70's.   He was an active vintage racer, most recently with a Michael Waltrip #30 Pennzoil Pontiac.  

Birdflu

Not at all picking on the car, but what's with the steering wheel? I thought the 'base' wheel was the three spoke black rubber wheel with a three spoke molded horn button and the optional wheel being the wood grain wheel. Anyone?

Aero426

Quote from: Birdflu on August 15, 2018, 03:56:35 PM
Not at all picking on the car, but what's with the steering wheel? I thought the 'base' wheel was the three spoke black rubber wheel with a three spoke molded horn button and the optional wheel being the wood grain wheel. Anyone?

The car was a driver.    He ran it in the Carrera Panamericana in Mexico.    That's why it has the smaller diameter Tuff wheel from a later model year.   It has a nice feel to it, even if incorrect for a Superbird.

Aero426

This is the subject car from the July 1988 issue of Autotech magazine.     By chance, a friend graciously passed along the article cut from the magazine recently.    You can see the car has the same license plate today.  

Aero426

The full page.   Running the Carrera Panamericana is an exciting event.   It is especially full of adventure if you crash or break down in the middle of nowhere.   Some interesting experiences can be encountered with the local officials.   And don't drink the water.

Birdflu