News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel pump kicked the bucket .......

Started by Canadian1968, August 12, 2018, 07:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

Was driving home from an ELTA car show in Ontario. The car ran flawless on the way up , and on the way back. Until about 5 Mins from home the car dies. I coasted off the main street . At first I thought maybe I had a vapour lock so I let the engine cool down. I would crank it and it fired right up but died immediately. I had a spare fuel filter so threw that on. Then cranking it I am getting no fuel threw the filter and nothing out of the carb. Yes I have enough gas lol. It's a Carter mechanical pump on it. Kind of old but not a ton of run time on it really.  I am 90% sure it's gotta be the pump?

70 sublime

Did you check to see if the oil level in the motor had come way up ? ( gas in the oil)

Have you ever changed the short rod that the fuel pump gets pushed with from inside the motor ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Canadian1968

when we put the current pump on , I do belive we put a new pump rod in as well.  There is no gas going threw the filter like I said. The filter is before the pump so I can't be pumping fuel into the engine / oil.

John_Kunkel

If the filter is before the pump why would you expect to get fuel through it when cranking? The only possible fuel flow through a pre-pump filter would by gravity and the filter would have to be well below the tank fuel level.

The question about fuel in the oil is a reference to a failed pump diaphragm allowing fuel to rum into the sump. You need to remove the fuel line to the carb and check for fuel flow there while cranking.  BTW, the new fuel pump pushrods are more apt to fail than the old originals.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Canadian1968

so your saying the only way the factory pump gets fuel to it is threw gravity ?  And why would I not expect any fuEl threw cranking. How else is it supposed to get fuel ?

The fuel system is stock style with carter pump and llines upgraded to 3/8 without a vapour separator .

John_Kunkel

You stated "The filter is before the pump" and the pump supplies the pressure so why would you expect to get pressurized fuel from the filter? :confused:

The pump creates suction which draws the fuel into the pump, pressurizes it and sends it to the carb. If the system is "stock style", then the filter is after the pump, not before. 
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Alaskan_TA

If it is a big block & the fuel pump push rod is new, check it for sure.

New ones 'go away' quick, the metallurgy is just not the same.

Canadian1968

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 13, 2018, 12:56:06 PM
You stated "The filter is before the pump" and the pump supplies the pressure so why would you expect to get pressurized fuel from the filter? :confused:

The pump creates suction which draws the fuel into the pump, pressurizes it and sends it to the carb. If the system is "stock style", then the filter is after the pump, not before. 

I guess a slight misunderstanding . I didn't expect the filter to pressurized . But the pump should pull the gas threw the filter .  I should be able to see fuel threw the filter . 

On a new note . I pulled the push rod out.   It 3.03 " what I have read is that I am basically 1/4" (.25) short !   Honestly it was so long ago I can't remember if it's a new one or original !

But it looks like the rod is shot.   So what I gotta start replacing this thing like a damn spark plug!?  I don't wanna know where that .25 of material is !

A383Wing

replace the pump rod, change the oil & filter......drive the car......easy

Canadian1968

Quote from: A383Wing on August 13, 2018, 09:04:47 PM
replace the pump rod, change the oil & filter......drive the car......easy

Ya true .  I'm not really worried about the metal. If it's the orginal or new 99% of it is sitting in the hot tank at the machine shop! Got 1600 Km on the motor since rebuild

70 sublime

Well there you go it was the push rod after all
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green