News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird RM23U0A175587 now has a fake fender tag?

Started by Alaskan_TA, August 13, 2018, 03:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaskan_TA

The value would also depend on what it would take to put it back to a white automatic & whether or not the original 727 & other pre-conversion parts come with it.

Most high dollar buyers want OE, not custom versions which can be a hard sell.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 21, 2018, 12:58:17 PM
I might be biased because I like the green colour but I do not think it would be worth any less ( or more ) painted this colour than the same car right back to factory tag specifications

Agreed, I said this earlier, being a wingcar, the 4 spd and color change are not big deal/price killers here,  regardless of the 4spd and color change it is not correctly "restored" to an OEM appearance anyway.... for the so-called "purist buyer"

Personally IMHO the car was taken in the right direction with the 4spd/color change/axle upgrade, just needs a 6 bbl to finish it off properly....

Alaskan_TA

hemi-hampton

Some people say ain't worth any less with the changes, Then why'd he automatically relist it with over $25k cheaper after getting caught trying to pull a scam?

Redbird

From what little I know about fender tags:

I thought the 115 number designated a 440-4BBL Auto engine, and the 052 is for a 8.75 3:55 Rear Axle housing. These seem to be on both the White and Green Tags. I also thought the D32 was for an Auto Transmission, this seems to be on the White Tag. If these are true it would seem to suggest not being a 4-spd car.

It seems Doug's paperwork from 1977 says it had a Auto on the Council (Sic Console) which would match the C16 , if I recall right, on both the White and the Green Tags.

Spray painting the inside floor pan with a thick new color makes looking for clues on the original build as per Buckets, Console, and Transmission very hard to document.

I'd like to see a picture of the inside floor pan before the repaint. I don't recall seeing inside floor pans repainted in the 70's or 80's (or even 90's) FWIW.

Alaskan_TA

It was already mentioned that the two things changed from the old tag to the the new tag were the transmission & paint codes.  ;)

Redbird

I understand my opinions are my opinions only, and my opinions don't set the market for anyone but me.

I have never understood why Ferraris can have a color change and it does not seem to affect the price much. Or why Lamborghini Miuras in Orange or Green get a price bump, but other Lamborghinis don't seem to get color bumps.

I would not pay more or less for a Superbird being one color as opposed to another. But a lot of people do.

I see a base Superbird as being a Black Bench seat, auto on the column, AM radio, PDB, PS, 3 spd wipers, no tach, non-remote Driver's mirror, 14" Magnum 500's and 70 Series tires (I realize everyone puts 15" Ralley's on them); with a White, Yellow, or Red exterior. Engine as per the dash pad. I'll take that as a given, for a base car. Anything else I want to see evidence.

White Bucket Interior is my favorite and most valuable option by far, except for the engine.

Redbird

It looks to me that both tags have the 115 code for the 440-4BBL Auto engine, and the 052 for the 8.75 3:55 axle.

I don't think the 8.75 3:55 axle could be had on a Superbird with a 4-spd.

hemi-hampton

Looks like your trying to figure out what's going on with this car. I thought we already did that.  :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Beep Beep Dave

That is an interesting read. Thanks to everyone who brought this one to light and saved the auctions as they changed. I always find it amusing that the guys who change stuff to make it the way they want it always seem to want to sell it right after completion with little to none of the original history attached to the car....just some story.

Another positive is that if the white fender tag is indeed the original it will now stay with the car instead of being lost forever.

Dave

'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

C5X DAYTONA

Caution.... Low flying aircraft.