News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fitech EFI timing control

Started by flyinlow, August 13, 2018, 04:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Anyone using a Firecore distributor with Fitech and letting the EFI control the timing?

Paul G

Great question. That is what I would like to do eventually. I dont know if the timing curve can be adjusted or "tuned" much like you can tune the A/F mixture. I would think so since the distributor must be locked out when EFI is controlling timing.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

flyinlow

I have read that the stock Mopar distributor is noisy electronically and does not work generating a fault code with the EFI. The Firecore distributor appears to use a similar pickup.  :shruggy:

I want to try the EFI timing control. The MSD pro billet distributor is recommended by Fitech.  The MSD does not have vacuum advance. If the EFI timing works well that wont matter (locked distributor anyway). If the computer  dose not work as well as my old fashioned distributor, I would not use the MSD and have a shinny $350 paperweight.

JR

The firecore distributor won't work with Fitech (or likely any other Brand's) timing control. The signal is too noisy, and you need to be able to completely "lock out" the timing advance, and have a phasable rotor.

I ended up selling my beautiful year old Firecore distributor to use the money towards an MSD.

Worth it though, the timing control feature is awesome.

There's also a knockoff MSD that's half the price if you want to save some money.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

69Chrgr

I've installed a FiTech system on a BBC and an Edelbrock E-Street 2 on a 440, and I can tell you that after I installed the Edelbrock distributor with timing control that Cuda turned into a different animal. It was a beast! I am now going to install a Holley Super Sniper with the Holley Dual Sync on my Charger to pilot it for my customers cars. The difference was amazing.

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: 69Chrgr on August 14, 2018, 11:44:57 AM
I've installed a FiTech system on a BBC and an Edelbrock E-Street 2 on a 440, and I can tell you that after I installed the Edelbrock distributor with timing control that Cuda turned into a different animal. It was a beast! I am now going to install a Holley Super Sniper with the Holley Dual Sync on my Charger to pilot it for my customers cars. The difference was amazing.

Glad you mentioned the Super Sniper, I knew about the regular Sniper setup but I missed that one. Looks like I missed a few things, actually...

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/

68CoronetRT

Holley Sniper and Dual Sync Dist here. It's amazing! Not cheap, but works very well.