News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 charger help

Started by craftvinyl, August 13, 2018, 11:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craftvinyl

I am having a terrible electrical issue with a 69 charger (440)

changed it over to a one wire alternator, the car will start, run for about 2 minutes and the just quit, almost like someone cut the key off, then the car won't start back up until it has set for a few days

krops cars

So what did you do to wire it in? What I do is run a new heavy wire from the positive to a 100 or 120 amp fuse to the alternator. This should not give you the issue you are talking about. I like to use a top and side post battery. I hook my wire for the fuse up to the side mount. What ignition system are you running? OE or aftermarket?

nvrbdn

Quote from: krops cars on August 14, 2018, 08:39:49 AM
I like to use a top and side post battery. I hook my wire for the fuse up to the side mount. What ignition system are you running? OE or aftermarket?

I like this battery idea.
  For a car that dies and won't start for a bit of time, I have found that a coil has a tendency to do that. When it heats up a wire separates killing the engine immediately. But it will restart after a certain amount of time. (as soon as the coil cools) not days, but been known to last a half hour or so. Then I have seen an electric fuel pump that when you shut it off it will not work for hours, then the next day start working and run until you turn it off. Neither of those fit a problem that lasts for a couple days.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

krops cars

Right, I' am trying to figure out if he cut up wires that were not suppose to be cut. Sending power somewhere it is not suppose to go. Then I would ask him to check for spark and voltage to the coil. Did he add an aftermarket ignition and that is wired wrong. Then if you take a test light and put it on the negative side of the coil it should blink as you turn it over. No blink you have a bad set of points or module.

krops cars

I didn't even get to if he has a bad coil or if he has a bad fuel pump yet. Cheap electric fuel pumps are nothing but trouble. Either spend $100.00 to $200.00 for an electric fuel pump or go mechanical. I have worked on a lot of cars where they use the $30.00 fuel pumps 90% of the time that is their issue.

nvrbdn

Quote from: krops cars on August 15, 2018, 08:49:19 AM
Right, I' am trying to figure out if he cut up wires that were not suppose to be cut. Sending power somewhere it is not suppose to go. Then I would ask him to check for spark and voltage to the coil. Did he add an aftermarket ignition and that is wired wrong. Then if you take a test light and put it on the negative side of the coil it should blink as you turn it over. No blink you have a bad set of points or module.

Ah yes, Good thought process. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House