News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Odd electrical troubles

Started by 73-Charger-Canada, August 15, 2018, 12:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-Charger-Canada

Hi electrical experts, I'm a bit stuck. My 73 charger has a few electrical problems that really have me on the ropes. The two that I'm solving now are:

1) Wiper switch wasn't working, I put in a new one (with external circuit breaker), and then that one didn't work. Best I can figure is bad ground from the instrument cluster, but everything else (ie dash lights etc.) work fine... so I don't know. I got another wiper switch to put in, but I want to make sure I don't blow this one as well. I'm going to run an auxiliary ground wire from somewhere on the cluster to frame, maybe firewall. Does it also make sense to put a fuse in the Pink power wire on it's way to the switch? If so, what amperage fuse makes sense?

2) My signals aren't working properly. First it was the lower left front signal, turned out to be a ground, but now my top fender mounted signal doesn't work. Do they need to be grounded together (like they are with the spade connector from the fender mounted signal to the plug?) or can they be grounded completely separately? Also, my signals will go on for about 6 flashes, then go out. Thoughts? Also, how much of a difference to LED's make? Maybe better connection, less need for voltage?

Thanks for your wisdom guys, appreciate it.
Ian

krops cars

Make sure that your engine ground is good and body ground is good. When I built my car I added 2 ground wires from the back of the engine to the body. One on each side. So many issues start with no ground or bad ground. Cheap and easy to do. If your wiring is old the ground to the body and engine could be getting bad. Yes I know the car starts fine and runs good. For now.

73-Charger-Canada

I think that's a really good place to start. My engine has two grounds right now, the one from the back of the right cylinder head to the firewall and I've got one going from the left cylinder head to the battery ground which is also grounded to the body. I'll clean up both just in case, maybe add another from the back of the right cylinder head to the firewall. Also the cluster ground wire. I think the thing that's really on my mind though is the signal circuit. If the fender signal is getting power independently (which it seems to be?) can I also just ground it independently to the body or something. I'll try it today or tomorrow and see what I come up with

krops cars

On my 70 the one signal switch I had, had another switch on it for fender mounted headlights. I do not know if your switch is the same. I think it is.

73-Charger-Canada

Okay, cleaned up all my grounds. Now I'm getting an interesting problem. Now my signals work (except drivers top fender signal) except when the headlights are on! Work fine without lights, then nothing with lights on. So, if I understand correctly, this means there is definitely a bad ground or two somewhere in the circuit.

Also, I took a closer look at the fender mounted signal, and it's somehow a one-wire set up where it receives both it's 12v and it's ground from the same wire. I'm sure that in a perfect electrical world that makes sense, but wouldn't it have been easier to have a separate power and ground wire? I'm going to rewire the whole calamity later today and see what I can make happen. Does anyone switch to a two wire system? Maybe off the side marker light? Also, does anyone use LEDs?

Final note, I seem to have the wiper switch working. I cleaned up what I think it the instrument cluster ground. The fella who had the car before me obviously got excited with wiring because he had a stereo deck under the dash grounded to the same post, tach grounded there, auxiliary fan switch, etc. Thanks pal... yikes. Anyhow, they seem to work for now, and if they blow again I may have to rewire the whole wiper system.

Thank you for your help!

BLK 68 R/T

The turn signals just ground through the housings to the body. Lots of ground issues are due to the ways cars are restored vs how the factory did it. Paint buildup, undercoating, etc. Try grounding the housings and see what happens.

krops cars

The signal grounds through the fender. The wire is your power supply. The blinker assy. grounds to the fender. Remove and clean it. If it attaches with a screw you can add your own extra wire for ground to the screw.

73-Charger-Canada

Ah I see now! I guess my confusion was that the wire from the signal housing was plugged into the ground side of the plug going to the front signal lamp. But, that makes sense that it delivers 12v to the signal before going to ground. I will work with that later on and see how I do with it. I guess the problem with hooking it up through the actual 12v power to the front signal is that it would be constantly on while the headlights are on? or should they constantly be on when the headlights are on? Thanks guys

sixpactogo

the headlights have nothing to do with  hood turn signals. They only activate when the turn signals are activated.

73-Charger-Canada

Yeah, I see that, but for whatever reason when the headlights are on, none of my signals work. Not sure what the story is there, but I'm going to try adding some additional grounds at the fender signals, and see if that cures them and see what happens when the lights are on after that