News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stock A/C for 68

Started by Royalt67, August 15, 2018, 02:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royalt67

So, not to offend the restorers out there, but I am seriously considering replacing my stock A/C with Vintage Air and March pulleys. The pull of a serpentine is strong...plus I have always hated that V2 sitting on top...

What I'm wondering is how much you think a stock, functional, complete (reman comp) '68 Charger A/C for a big-block is worth?
1968 Charger R/T clone
1970 Roadrunner
1967 Firebird 400 (Indian, not Bowtie)

Daytona R/T SE

Royalt67

1968 Charger R/T clone
1970 Roadrunner

Mike DC

You can swap the compressor for a modern one and still keep the factory under-dash AC equipment.  Some people do that.  

Royalt67

Sure, I've thought of that. And if getting rid of the top mounting (March allows low right location) was the only consideration, then that would be a great solution. I would also like to have the electronic variable mixing of the VA Sure-Fit system, while looking stock in the cabin. Anyone familiar with these cars knows the A/C blows cold and the heater blows hot, sometimes simultaneously, but the vacuum controls suck. I just figure this is a way to clean up the engine compartment, have better control, and belts that don't jump off or slip.

I lost the A/C belts once, nasty. Once was enough.

But since a totally stock system, right down to the clips holding the lines and all factory brackets , is impossible to buy new, somebody will want it for a bone-stock restoration. Hence my musing on what you guys think such a system might actually be worth.
1968 Charger R/T clone
1970 Roadrunner

Daytona R/T SE

Mike DC

QuoteSure, I've thought of that. And if getting rid of the top mounting (March allows low right location) was the only consideration, then that would be a great solution. I would also like to have the electronic variable mixing of the VA Sure-Fit system, while looking stock in the cabin. Anyone familiar with these cars knows the A/C blows cold and the heater blows hot, sometimes simultaneously, but the vacuum controls suck. I just figure this is a way to clean up the engine compartment, have better control, and belts that don't jump off or slip.

I lost the A/C belts once, nasty. Once was enough.

But since a totally stock system, right down to the clips holding the lines and all factory brackets , is impossible to buy new, somebody will want it for a bone-stock restoration. Hence my musing on what you guys think such a system might actually be worth.

Not many people ever seem to convert that way.  AFAIK the aftermarket setups don't have the option of pulling in outside air, they can only recirculate the cabin air.  That puts off some people.  

Vintage Air's gen-4 setups seem to be the best option available right now.  Not everyone is 100% happy with them but I've never heard of anyone saying a different aftermarket setup was better. 

Most guys in the hobby are just thrilled to get any kind of AC in the car, which ever way they do it.

I looked at custom-building a HVAC dash box for my '69 at one point.  I may not ever do it because it's a lot of work compared to stock or aftermarket.  But it does seem like the best result in theory.  You could combine the best of the newer & older ways.  Get a powerful blend door system with big modern heat & evap cores.  Keep the cowl-induction outside air option.  Etc.